Any Jiu Jitsu practitioners here? toughening your body

women haze

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a question for my Don Juan members here...

Are there any Jiu Jitsu people here? I was doing a technique last night we drilled the **** out of Knee on belly. I found my ribs and sides experience severe pain which is what the technique is supposed to accomplish. I mean the entire purpose is to open up the opponent to options on top.

Armbar
Mount
Choke
etc

My question is this are there any exercises to strengthen the midsection area to reduce knee on belly pain? ribs, sides etc...

where my Jiu Jitsu peeps at

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
women haze
Senior Don Juan

You're not THAT old but you're at the point where you're going to feel it a little more and a little longer if you participate in things like this. All you can do is core exercises to put a little more muscle between their knee and your pain.

I imagine it's worth it right?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My question is this are there any exercises...to reduce...pain?

Breathe and relax. It works for anything, especially when you have to drill positions and holds that are painful.

For anything other than drills, you get to fight back. That means move! Shrimp like crazy. It's really hard to hold down someone who won't stop moving. A white belt can escape from a black belt if you never stop moving. That doesn't mean you'll win, but at least you won't get held down at will in a painful position.

Knee-on-belly actually comes from the old Japanese jiu-jitsu, which was designed to fight to the death on the rocky hillsides of Japan. It's excellent for street fighting. Cops love it, because you touch the pavement as little as possible and don't get scraped up. By contrast, a lot of Brazilian jiu-jitsu is designed to work on a padded mat, where falling on your back does not lead to injury. Flying triangles and arm bars look really cool in the UFC, but try that on the street, and the odds are that you'll crack your head open on the sidewalk. Japanese jiu-jitsu is designed to go to the ground as little as possible, make the other guy get the worst of the impact with the ground, and break something within a second or two so that you can stand up and go fight the next guy.