Anthony Robbins' Awaken the Giant Within

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I know this book is famous and popular, and I was tempted to get it. However, when I saw it, it was as thick as sh*t!!!

So, I was wondering if any of you guys think the book is worth getting. I know its based around NLP principles but what EXACTLY does the book teach?

I'm not all that impressed with NLP and its principles. So what do you guys think? Get it or not?

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fender said:
Hey guys.

I know this book is famous and popular, and I was tempted to get it. However, when I saw it, it was as thick as sh*t!!!

So, I was wondering if any of you guys think the book is worth getting. I know its based around NLP principles but what EXACTLY does the book teach?

I'm not all that impressed with NLP and its principles. So what do you guys think? Get it or not?

i haven't read TR's books yet, but don't be quick to discount NLP.

Why are you unimpressed with NLP? Is it because you've heard/read about it on PUA forums and think that its all about trying to slip trance words into your conversation with hotties?

NLP is a very powerful tool, and perhaps at its best when applied to ones own psyche. But you need to understand it first. Don't even judge NLP unless you've actually taken a basic NLP course or read a few "true" NLP books, not the crap intended for picking up women.

The principles of NLP are simple, powerful, and very common sense.

Cruise

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Robbins has some audiobooks you might want to check out if you don't want to go through the drudge of reading that book.

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fender said:
Hey guys.

The guy is very good. He tells alot of positive stories that are uplifting along with precise ways of thinking and emotional control. I give the book an A-

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Read it if you believe your self improvement is worth the effort.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
or download his mp3's and check out wayne dyer

john_1234

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the chapters about "pain and pleasure" and "beliefs" are great. didn't read the entire book

DarkLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't read it, but it looks to be pretty solid and uplifting.
Was going to swoop it up myself.

Wayne Dyer has some great stuff, too.

Anyways, as far as NLP goes. Think Egoist said it best. Def. don't write it off, without first getting a real first hand experience of its principles and application. Sh!t is as he said... "simple, powerful, and very common sense."

Just the most minor elements of NLP, like Eye Accessing Cues is so powerful to understand. One of the most valuable aspects of the science of NLP is the ability to create Rapport. As you know... this is huge in the application of seduction.

Another great example... understanding Anchors, and how to create/collapse one.

To go into the power of this art, here in a little post, is impossible. So all I can do is reiterate the value of this art/science. And advise you to give it a thorough and fair chance.

Peace'

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
CHECK out essentialskills.com . net something like that...... they have some interesting material.

I believe that anything is possible with the right state of mind.

Cruise

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually, for a great in-depth book on self-talk,

"What To Say When You Talk To Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter is awesome

And the classic "Think and Grow Rich", really, if used to the tee, can get you all you need in a 1/4 the size page count.

:rockon:

Antedeus

Don Juan
Reaction score
All I know about Tony Robbins is that he can unhinge his jaw and swallow people whole. Or so "Family Guy" has me believing. ~_^

When thinking about self-help books, always keep the big 20th century classic in mind: How to Win Friends and Influence People. It's a good example of how little has changed in the past few decades.

jordan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I read his book called Unlimited Power. It's a very good book.

flippinfreak

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IS there a difference between what you say, and what you are thinking?

Doctormad

Don Juan
Reaction score
When thinking about self-help books, always keep the big 20th century classic in mind: How to Win Friends and Influence People. It's a good example of how little has changed in the past few decades.
No doubt. Been reading that book during my breaks at work (before I got laid off that is). Its a great read

SeldomSeen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

very good book, Im reading it along with 7 Habits.... I love to pick up information. I have just about every ebook you can imagine, of course I paid alot too before I had broadband. LOL!!

Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought "How to Win Friends and Influence People" with great expectations, but I stopped reading it halfway through because of how much boring, common sense fluff he managed to cram into just half the book.

It's stuff like "If you want to be heard, then listen to others." "Pay compliments to others when they do a good job." Blah blah.

It didn't really change my life or address core issues like Psycho Cybernetics did. That's the ultimate self-help book. I listened to some of the Robbins audio and its good stuff, but it's hard for me to take him seriously because at his base, he is a marketer, and his job is to keep you hungry for more self-help products. Maltz, however (author of Psycho Cybernetics), was an accomplished plastic surgeon and was already rich out his ass. He wrote the book primarily to contribute to society and science, not for money.