Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Analyze My Workout Routine For Adding Muscle Mass

BBX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've made horrible attempts in the past yo gain muscle mass and with the summer here and a lot of free time, I'm older and wiser and now know what i'm doing.

My past failures in this area were a result of me doing bad research or none at all. Now I fell like I know what i'm doing.

Keep in mind that I do not have access to a gym. All I have is some weights what and a chin up bar.

Allright so two days ago I began with 3 sets of 10 chinups. In that time, I've have been getting a lot of protein and I already feel results from just that one day. I am sore a fuk right now and don't know when I can continue to my next workout of 3 sets of 10 squats at a weight that is good for me to start with.

Basically what i'm asking is how am I so sore from 3 sets of 10 chin ups, and when should I start my squats and then continue from that? And this amount of soreness is good right?

This is a rough idea of what my routine is for a couple of weeks until I feel it needs to be intensified:

Wednesday- 3 sets of 10 chinups
Sat- 3 sets of 10 squats (not sure of weight yet)
Mon-3 sets of 10 deadlifts " "
Tues- 2 sets of 10 of a chest exercise that I need to research

Any input is greatly appreciated. I've made a lot of mistakes in the past and wouldn't like to again so thanks. I still consider myself ultra noob in this hhaha.

sam3083

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes! the soreness is good. What you've done is make thousands of microscopic tears in your muscles. But dont worry. Your body will adapt to this by rebuilding the muscles stronger and thicker then before, ready for next time (this is why we have to overload - increase the weight).

I would suggest you throw in more then one exercise per workout. Maybe 3 or 3. Just keep them specific to the muscle group you are working. For example, some barbell bicep curls, and a shoulder press would be good for wednesday. Or, you could throw in some abdominal work one day, etc.

I doubt the one exercise will be enough to see decent gains for a sustained period of time.

Other then that your split (the different days you do exercises) seems ok. Just dont work a muscle group if it is still sore (it needs time to repair, or you will go downhill by tearing the muscle fibres again, without them recovering. Which is why so many beginners overtrain and see no gains).

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are many good routines on the net, so don't go paying 29.95 for starting strength when you can get all the information you need for free.

Start reading.... Everything you can get your eyes on. Read the stickies on the top of this forum. Go to wannabebigforums.com and read all those stickies too. Your best friend is knowledge. Size and strength will come much easier if you know what the hell you're doing.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The book isn't just about the routine, obviously you can find the write up of the routine on any fitness site. The actual routine is only a fraction of the book. Rippetoe goes over the deadlift, squat, power clean, bench press and overhead press in incredible detail, along with a little bit of nutrition info (you can get better info on this board though) and programming info. I've never seen anything close on the internet.

Last edited:

sam3083

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with jovi. If your prepared to search around a little bit, you can get all the knowledge you need. and knowledge is power.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BBX said:
Hey guys,

I've made horrible attempts in the past yo gain muscle mass and with the summer here and a lot of free time, I'm older and wiser and now know what i'm doing.

My past failures in this area were a result of me doing bad research or none at all. Now I fell like I know what i'm doing.

Keep in mind that I do not have access to a gym. All I have is some weights what and a chin up bar.

Allright so two days ago I began with 3 sets of 10 chinups. In that time, I've have been getting a lot of protein and I already feel results from just that one day. I am sore a fuk right now and don't know when I can continue to my next workout of 3 sets of 10 squats at a weight that is good for me to start with.

Basically what i'm asking is how am I so sore from 3 sets of 10 chin ups, and when should I start my squats and then continue from that? And this amount of soreness is good right?

This is a rough idea of what my routine is for a couple of weeks until I feel it needs to be intensified:

Wednesday- 3 sets of 10 chinups
Sat- 3 sets of 10 squats (not sure of weight yet)
Mon-3 sets of 10 deadlifts " "
Tues- 2 sets of 10 of a chest exercise that I need to research

Any input is greatly appreciated. I've made a lot of mistakes in the past and wouldn't like to again so thanks. I still consider myself ultra noob in this hhaha.

Try this BBX: Beginner Strength Training Program

ItWasntMe

Don Juan
Reaction score
you should try having 2 or 3 exercises in your workout with at least 1 day off in between for cardio like HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Something like:

Mon.
Bench Press 10x3
Squats 10x3
Pullups 10x3

Tues.
HIIT

Wed.
Military Press 10x3
Deadlifts 10x3
Lunges 10x3

Thurs.
HIIT

Fri.
Swiss ball push up w/ prone jackknife 10x3
bent over row 10x3
Weighted crunches 10x3
Chinup 10x3

Sat.
Long distance run (30-60 mins worth at a light-moderate pace)

Sun.
Off

Reps:
Week 1 - 10x3
Week 2 - 5x5
Week 3 - 15x2

All with 60 seconds rest between sets. Keep in mind that this is just an example workout. If you want search 'Waterbury total body training' if you get some access to equipment or 'death by bodyweight' if you don't have any equipment period on google. For both searches click on the first link. Remember a program can only produce decent results for 4-6 weeks before plateauing and I personally change my workout every 4 weeks.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go with what stronglifts posted