Ahhh...The Power Of Listening ; The Wisdom Of "What"

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
"He was such a great guy, and everything was going great, but he just didnt LISTEN to me"Is a scenario I have been running across lately and that just sickens me to the point where i feel the need to notify everybody of the most important thing in a relationship...COMMUNICATION!!!

There's a little saying i have when it comes to convos with girls, and it is called the "Wisdom Of What". Now I know that there are other topic word openers but not as effective as WHAT... i.e.

How: refers to the action of how something is achieved or done in any sort of manner.

Where: refers to a specific region or area that the person has been to, asking to get to, or would like to go to.

When: refers to a moment in time when something was done, prepared, executed, etc...

Why: refers to a reason in which an action was executed.

What: All of the above!

This is why WHAT is the most important conversation tool out there. What allows a conversation to go deeper vertically rather than horizantly, which loses power, for example

Horizantal Conversation: So what did you do on the first day of the cruise, what about the second day, the third, fourth, etc...
(Basically going from left to right without touching any deep emotions)

Vertical Conversation: So what did you do on your first day of the cruise? Snorkeling eh...? why snorkeling? you wanted to see exotic fish, what do you feel when you are surrounded by beautiful colorful fishes, etc...

thats the basic difference between a horizantal and vertical conversation, which can be achieved by the word WHAT!, a perfect analogy would be like taking a rock and throwing it into a still pond, the ripples lose power and effect as the go away from the point of collision, but the rock keeps going deeper and deeper as it goes vertically down the pond.

The only problem with communication and why guys have the inablity to listen, is because 66% of all guys are born with a STRONG personality trait that makes them avid problem-solvers, while a girl is talking, the guy might have eye contact, but his mind is thinking of what to say next, how to solve to problem, rather than just listen, which in most cases, thats all a girl wants, is just to be listened too!

"Well Egyptian, this may be helpful and all, but she still doesnt think i listen to her?"

Great question, Im glad you asked. Basically there are three components of oral communication that make a person a great listener,

Words = 10%

Tone = 20%

Body Language = 70%

Total = 100%

Now this may sound hypocritical that words only account for 10% of making a great listener, but, most of the time, you will only be LISTENING. the rest of the time, a girl can only tell that you are paying attention by your body language, if your slouched over, hands tucked, and drooling down the chin, that kinda tells a girl you arent very interested in what she has to say (which is the case most of the time, but hey, fake it till you make it:D )

this means fellas, great eye contact, back straight, hands laid calmly on table, no fidgeting, no staring at hot waitresses, just listening to what she has to say. Humans naturally want to be listened to, but they hate to be judged, openers like "what when, where, how, and, why" are to judgemental, "what" is more of a lead in to the other word associations, without the judgemental feelings associated with them.

now that youve listened, to her, and she took a breath to sip her tea, this is the time where you ask open-ended questions, nothing like "Thats nice" "Oh, Cool" "Thats Awesome", those make it obvious that you have no clue what she just said, and when you do ask open-ended, make them relate, nothing like, "Oh, Im so sorry your cousin died...So lets go grab a bite to eat" you do that, shell NEXT you!

And finally when you do ask good, topic related questions, have a tone that matches the topic, if she just came back from a skiing trip, have a happy exciting tone, if her cousin just died, have a sad depressed tone, nothing can kill a great open ended question like a bad tone can. So becareful of how you say something, because sometimes, it makes all the difference

so get out there and be the damn best listeners you can be...you wont regret it:cool:

latez...~!~

Last edited:

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very interesting...got me thinking.

KiInCollege

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
USA, Graduated Already - old screen name!
I see you've been paying attention to your neighborhood Business Communication course!

Egyptdude is correct that at least 90% of the conversation is nonverbal - i.e. tone and depth of voice, gestures, accent, culture, etc.

You've heard the term "It's not what you say, but how you say it." It's true.

Ever fail a pickup and wonder why, even though you spoke perfectly, the girl somehow read your nervousness? Maybe she noticed your idiosyncratic jiggling of the change in your pockets.

Case-in-point: One time an 8 girl and her 6 friend approached me. Girls don't approach everday, so I made sure to pay extra attention to her methods. She'd ask me questions about school, and I'd joke that they weren't wearing bookbags like they thought they were special. While the convo was going on, the 8 was nervously zipping her jacket zipper up and down and DIDN'T EVEN KNOW she was doing it! I thought I'd joke with her and say, "Uh, is something wrong with your zipper?" with a big smile across my face. Her face got really red when she realized her display of nervousness.

Pay close attention to how you present yourself. I've read that women are better at interpreting communication than men.

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, I was at this investment management company a few weeks ago called PIMCO, and they stressed the importance of all the non-verbal and verbal oral communication, and ive been observing and trying it out for the past few weeks, and its been gold.

latez...~!~

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say I really needed this.

Secondly *click click load load click* I just bookmarked it.

Third: This was very refreshing, as I may start a new relationship any day now. It's been over a year since I've talked to you guys about any of that... heh I'm back in the game.

Thanks Soliman, I needed it.:)

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Calm waters give clear reflections.

Aggression and apathy are the disturbance of mental waters...

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Still waters hide the murkiness beneath

Shattered waters reveal all that is hidden under

latez...~!~

DjDreamer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When a woman speaks she feels special with the presence of nods, paraphrasing, sitting up straight, eye contact and focus BUT she might get bored with talking about herself...she might be delighted with seeing a distortion of the reflection...

KiInCollege

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
USA, Graduated Already - old screen name!
I will add one thing: If your nonverbal and verbal communication conflict, people tend to believe the nonverbal communication. i.e. If I look sad, but say I'm fine, people will not believe what I said.

How this could work for you: If you look confident, with good posture and open body language, even if your words aren't the most clever, women will still laugh at your jokes.

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
say what?

this is BOGUS!!

My ex used to try and talk to me all the time..then I'd turn around and say "What?"

then she would storm out the room

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
DjDreamer: I never said dont not talking about yourself, I'm just saying that when your not talking (which should be most of the time), that you you ask deep intellectual questions, good body posture, and, a relative tone of voice depending on the subject. If and if ever she gets tired of talking about herself, then I dont see why not you can volunteer a little info about yourself. but remember the 30% - 70% rule.

KiIncollege: what you said about non-verbal comm. goes 50% - 50% with tone. you could have excellent body posture, and be the merriest guy on earth, but if you have a depressed tone of voice, she still wont believe a word you say, and vice-versa

Starman: lol hahahaha, good one.

well keep this post up fellow DJ's, I dont wanna see anymore communication posts or conversation posts popping up about s*it thats been answered a dozen times over

be back 2moro...

latez...~!~

Cremasta

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We had some professional trainer through at work a while ago, as far as communication goes, the %'s we were given were:

Body Language 55%
Tone 38%
Words 7%

I guess most men would be missing out on 93% of most conversations they have with women.

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
well i guess that each part is crucial at the right time.

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
thank you RIchardo.:)

dElAvA

Don Juan
Reaction score
The body word ratio I've seen before but the vertical horizontal relation is refreshing something I haven't seen before but it makes complete sense.

It's also a good thing to remember in conversation do I wan't to skim along the surface then say something unexpected and get the kill or should I gradually tighten the collar of the conversation until I can grab the dogtags and take off leaving the girl with doggy-dinner bowl eyes.

dionysius_d

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post.. its basic stuff, but true.

Its hard sometimes not to check out the approaching sound of high heels walking up the corridor when you're speaking with another girl.. but its worth trying to keep your attention on one thing at a time.

iggybrazil

Reaction score
Women want to be "overwhelmed" by a man. Words are overated. This means that you should always go for what will "shock" and distress her and to make her heart beat fast. So a typical encounter in which she is made afraid or subsurvient is always best.

All women want to have something to talk about to their friends about you, so many times it is best to try to find ways to shock them with your presense and rough behavior. For example the first time you meet her try to kiss her and hold her close. If she resists look at her as a gazelle trying to get away from the Lion. Do something to surprise her inatially and she will remember it always and talk about you the next day. " He tried to kiss me the moment we met"!!! "I've never met a man like him before" Which would be true.. Iggy

Egyptiandude1

Don Juan
Reaction score
"OMG, I cant believe that that loser guy actually tried to kiss me yesterday, hes only after me for my body, screw him!!!" is what will happen if we listen to our friend iggy here!

not to flame you or anything, but i strongly UNreccommend the whole kiss on first meeting a girl. To her, you are still a stranger, you want her to think highly of you and talk good about you to her friends, then listen to her speak and ask relevant questions. stop trying with the hard approaches about "SPONTANEOUS" crap that has no place when first meeting a chick, all you have to do is Listen, ask, and watch for tone, body lang. etc

sometimes the hardest things to do are the easiest, talk about doing things the hard way...geez.:rolleyes:

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to go with Iggy on this one.

She would NOT assume he was after her body, she would assume she was worth kissing right away.

Open with your sexuality right from the start is something VERY memorable. Whether she likes it or not is a different story though.