Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Advice for Step Two of Health Quest: Exercise

forward

Don Juan
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I started my Health Quest. I began by improving my diet. The details are in the thread I started here.

It was a little bumpy getting started, and I'm still improving with it, but it's going pretty well (I'll post an update to that thread soon with more detail). So now I think I'm ready to add Step Two:

Exercise!

And so I'm back asking for more advice (everyone here being very helpful the last time around). First off, I need to join a gym. Hoping to do that tomorrow.

I've located one nearby, and it's just under $40 a month. I mentioned this in the other thread and Derek Flint said this is too much (in which case you don't want to know about the $80 I was paying per month last time I belonged to one :crazy: )

How do you locate cheaper gyms? To find this one I searched in google maps, where you can find nearby businesses (I just searched for gym). This was the cheapest and closest one. One thing to consider is that this one is less than a mile of where I live. I could walk/jog/run there, saving on travel expenses. Also, it's cheaper if you pay for 6 or 12 or 24 months at the start (closer to $30 a month), but I do not desire to do this for the time being. I'd rather pay a little extra to have the freedom to change (and I don't have this kind of upfront money).

After finding a gym, I need some more advice:
What's a good workout routine?

I was pointed to a very great base diet to get my nutrition on track, any good base workout routines? A little info about me that might be of assistance:

Naturally skinny. Scrawny. Very tall and ridiculously thin. Can (and have :down: ) eaten the common American crap-diet and don't get fat, just stay scrawny and often low-energy.

Now, I dabbled in working out before (as mentioned in my other thread) and actually saw some decent (to me) results! Nothing major, but I think in the 9 months or so I (without really knowing what I was doing) read and experimented with workouts and eating, I gained about 20 pounds (now gone). This weight, as far as my observations tell me, was pretty much all muscle. So I think my body will respond well (at least initially, possibly because I'm so skinny to begin with, that the first bit of muscle comes somewhat easily).

Some of you must be familiar with this type of body genetics. What's a good workout routine for me? One observation I noticed before is that my body seems to respond better to less workouts. I tried working out everyday, but found I got better results just doing 2-3 days a week (strength training).

And then we come to the trickiest part for me: how to execute the workout. I was entirely self-taught before. Had never worked out prior to that (missed highschool "Health" class, which included strength training, due to being in the band). So everything I learned by reading and "secretly" ;) observing other people working out in the gym. Never had a teacher or mentor to guide me and critique my form.

Can you learn how to perform these workouts properly from reading/videos, or do you really need someone there with you to get started? I've always debated doing a personal trainer session or two, but it's really not in my budget, and I also don't know how to choose a good one. I was always concerned I was doing things improperly before. So any advice on that would be great. In particular I'd like to know if there are particularly dangerous things I should watch out for. I don't want to hurt myself. I remember being especially concerned before that I was attempting deadlifts improperly. Didn't seem right.

And then finally, some gym etiquette: spotting. To push myself, and feel confident I'm not going to have some horrible accident, it would be very nice to have a spotter for certain things. However, I have no workout friends (my friends who do workout, belong to more expensive gyms like I used to). Are spotters necessary? Or can you get a great workout without reaching towards more than you're sure of. And how are you sure you can do it if so? I know you can just ask people, but I don't want to be obnoxious and interrupt people to repeatedly spot for me if this is not good gym manners. Any advice for this situation?

Whew, that's a lot of info, but hey, I'm new to this. So to summarize:
1) Tips on choosing a gym. What to look for in terms of cost/functionality.
2) Workout routine. I have a naturally skinny bodytype.
3) Workout execution. How do I learn how to do this stuff properly?
4) Spotting. Do I need it? How do I get it without being an extreme bother?

Thank you, you guys are helping me become the Man I am capable of being.

jahidi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome back! Nice to see you're still serious about making a change.

1. I don't know about cost because I live in a small town so our two small gyms just rip you off knowing you have to go to one of them. But what I looked for was:
- lots of equipment so everyone can use it without being crowded (free weights, squat racks, benches etc... don't care about machines because you won't be using them)
- not many people, again the issue of being able to do what you want without being over-crowded
I'm probably missing some stuff but the only issue I cared about is if there was lots of stuff to go around for everyone to use.

2. http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444
Another one of Effort's threads for beginners, I do option A but pick whatever one you like. I'm skinny as well.

3. Watch videos, read some threads on here (Quagmire has a couple, and there are probably some more in the vault). If you're unsure that you're doing something right, make a video of yourself and post it here to be critiqued. You could also ask a personal trainer (or someone who clearly knows what they're doing) at your gym to watch you and give advice.

4. I know none of the exercises in Option A of the thread need spotting, other than bench press but you can bench in the squat rack if you don't have a spotter. But if you need a spotter, ask someone to spot you if they are not busy, they will gladly help and it's not a bother at all. Try to find an experienced lifter who seems like he would know how to spot and not just lift the weight for you. Offer to spot them as well and thank them and it's no big deal. As for a spotter helping to "push you" in the gym, you just have to find that extra gear inside you and push yourself hard. Just think: "I'll be here for the next hour anyway. I can either leave not having broken a sweat, or I can walk out feeling great about what I just did, and can go home and relax."

Make a journal here to track your progress, and to get advice from the experts.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
99% of people in the gym have no idea what they're doing anyway so I wouldn't even bother asking anyone for advice or emulating their form, it will probably not be good advice or form. Just get Rippetoe's book from Option A, it will explain how to do all the lifts.

The only exercise I can think of where a spotter is useful is the bench press, and even then all you have to do is move a bench into a rack, set the pins so they are just above your chest when you're arching, and you're set. If you fail on a rep, just lower the barbell and relax your arch and the pins will hold the barbell.

jahidi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
99% of people in the gym have no idea what they're doing anyway so I wouldn't even bother asking anyone for advice or emulating their form, it will probably not be good advice or form.
Yeah that's probably true, there are only a select few people at my gym who I would ask for advice. The trainers seem to be really knowledgeable here though, not like the rugby guy that Stallion talked to.;)

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jahidi said everything on the money. $40 sounds pretty reasonable to be honest.

Just make sure that it has the basics, olympic barbell, plenty of weights, HOPEFULLY a power rack:

http://gymratz.co.uk/weight-training-gym-equipment/usrimage/power-rack.jpg

If you have one of those you don't need a spotter. And even if you don't you can still progress just fine and ask people in the gym on occasion if you have too.

If you post up a workout log we will help you out. Quite a few guys on here are doing very well and being consistent.

Here is a link for basic form on some lifts, (click on powerlifts although it may take you directly to it):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Power

You can then take videos of yourself to make sure everything is on the money. Which you NEED to do if you are working out alone and don't have someone that is competent. Be very wary of personal trainers, many of them don't have a clue.

Good luck.

forward

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the all the advice. Those videos are very helpful. I agree that videotaping myself would be very handy, but..... I have no camera (and one is not currently in my budget). Any ideas for videotaping myself without spending much? (I actually owned a videocamera, but somebody borrowed it YEARS ago and I doubt I'll see it again).

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got a digital camera for $130 that does video.

forward

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sadly even $130 is not really in my budget for at least the next couple months. However, my rooomate has a camera that might do video... and perhaps I could borrow it.