Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

acustic guitar

john paul

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a guitar for a new hobbie. Seems like it could be something fun to get into. Anyone here play one?, if so whats some things i should keep in mind when buying one?

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My cousin is just getting into guitar for his hobby, he already bought himself a Acoustic and just this Saturday he bought an amp and eletcric. I think you should just get an electric you will have lots more fun, but my advice is just get a trainer or some books my cousin is getting better by the day and he leaves for work at 2 and comes back at 11!

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Wherever the Dong guides me, but mostly Hawaii
Been playing for years. Acuostic, electric, bass, Ukalele, and percussion.

Get an acoustic if you want to be able to bring it places with friends, etc. Great way to meet girls.

young_gun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. Yes. Yes. Get one. I have an acoustic and 2 electric guitars now. Ladies LOVE a guy that can play a guitar, it's fun, and it's a great stress reliever. Trust me, it will be the best money you ever spend.

Don't go overboard on your first one, but don't get one from Wal-Mart or a pawn shop or something. Go to an actual music store and buy one that sounds nice and looks nice (I recommend acoustic to begin with) for about $300. If you want a good deal, you can buy a lightly used guitar for cheap. I took lessons for about 6 months to get my feet on the ground with it, but you don't necessarily have to. A good resource is www.ultimate-guitar.com , I use this all the time.

thatguyjamalx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah get an acoustic/electric, so you can plug it into an amp as well as just playing it by itself any where you wanna take it.

Be patient and persevere.

It's not something that you'll master in a few months it takes solid dedication and at the start your fingers are going to be sore as hell, but it's worth it, especially when you bring chicks back and serenade them. It's definitely a panty dropper.

sav

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i play both accoustic and electric :)

its a lot of fun, relieves stress... the girls find it kinda cool too ;)

when ur thinking about starting u gotta have the right intentions in mind, you gotta WANT to play... not for a purpose.. like picking up girls.. u gotta want it for yourself.. its the only way you'll get through the first year of playing where you'll utterly suck... ;)

young_gun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sav said:
i play both accoustic and electric :)

its a lot of fun, relieves stress... the girls find it kinda cool too ;)

when ur thinking about starting u gotta have the right intentions in mind, you gotta WANT to play... not for a purpose.. like picking up girls.. u gotta want it for yourself.. its the only way you'll get through the first year of playing where you'll utterly suck... ;)
Yeah no kidding, I've been playing for about 2 years now and I still feel like I've just touched the iceberg on what I can do with it. That first year I played, I really sucked at it. At first, progress is really slow, and you'll wonder if you'll ever get anywhere with it. But in the end, it's all worth it. If you have any friends that play, hang out with those guys and get a jam session going. You'll learn a lot from people who already know what they're doing.

sav

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
young_gun said:
Yeah no kidding, I've been playing for about 2 years now and I still feel like I've just touched the iceberg on what I can do with it. That first year I played, I really sucked at it. At first, progress is really slow, and you'll wonder if you'll ever get anywhere with it. But in the end, it's all worth it. If you have any friends that play, hang out with those guys and get a jam session going. You'll learn a lot from people who already know what they're doing.

dont have too many friends that play myself.. but when im visiting my parents, i play with my dad... he enjoys it.. and gets a chance to spend time with me :)

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I bought an electric with the entire getup the other day. First thing I realized when I sat down to play it was...this is gonna be a lot harder than I thought. lol! But I think it will be fun.

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i've played for a few years, and as far as getting an electric goes i can suggest that if you don't want to stretch to 800 or 900 for a gibson or entry level fender, you pick up one of the greg bennett models. i've had a couple and they're excellent materials and componentry for the price, a big step up from everything else in the 400-700 range.

this: http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/av6.html is a lot cheaper than the equivalent spec epiphone les paul, despite being made in the same factory.

also you MUST download guitar rig 2 or 3. you MUST

edit- check the last 2 items on this page http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/index.html

yes i am shamelessly promoting one brand for no reason... i think i miss the stage backup i just broke

slitherjef

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I play guitar. Effing love it. Infact I got a couple sound clips posted on this site if you do a search on the everything else forum with my username. I have been playing on and off since, hell I can't even remember, maybe when I was 12 or something.

Best advice, go look at the guitar, pick it up, see how it feels, pick the strings and so on. You don't need to start with a 1000.00 guitar, but don't get one from wallmart either. Pawnshops are okay, but you may want to take it to get set up in a guitar shop, make sure the neck aint warped and such.

Oh, and you should be learning to play guitar because you want to, not to impress anyone, like Sav mentioned

john paul

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. Most of you said i should go to a music store and buy one there. Is looking around ebay for one a bad idea? You can find some very cheap guitars and if its not what it was talked up to be i can always return it.

saber

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
u dont know what you want yet so I would recomend fenders beginer set w/ amp only 100$$ at guitar center ...then after a year buy something else

young_gun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
saber said:
u dont know what you want yet so I would recomend fenders beginer set w/ amp only 100$$ at guitar center ...then after a year buy something else
Bad idea. Fender is the brand I use, but one thing I've learned with guitars is that you get what you pay for. My friend bought the Fender Starcaster with the starter amp (probably the kit you're talking about) and I'll tell you, it was the biggest waste of money ever. The damn thing can't even hold a tune, looks like crap, and feels really unnatural on my fingers.

I have a custom Fender Stratocaster that I got at a local music shop brand new for $450 and it was well worth the money. You can strike a deal on a Stratocaster and get one for $299-350 for brand new, or you can probably get a lightly used one for even cheaper than that.

Another good brand is Epiphone. Once again, you don't have to go all out with it, but make sure you get something that at least resembles quality. You'll be kicking yourself for wasting good money if you buy a piece of junk.

MooseGod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Paradise City where the grass is green and the
Just get a good acoustic...if you can learn to play the acoustic well, you'll be that much more of a badass once you go to the electric. I'd advise taking lessons for the simple fact that you won't mess up some of the fingerings and spend a lot of time to break bad habits like I did.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get yourself an acoustic guitar and start learning. That is what you want to do. Start with the $300 range if you can afford it. I suggest you go to a music store like Guitar Center, etc. and get a feel for the guitars and how they feel on your hands and figers. Test it for sound and feel. Then go look up the same models online. Americanmusic.com and music123.com are my two favorite places to pick up guitar gear. You will get a lower price, pay no taxes, and usually get free shipping. If you are not patient, you can take the printout to the music store and ask them to match it. Ebay is good for used gear, just check the vendor's feedback, and ask questions before bidding/purchasing.

Get yourself a chord book, maybe a dvd/video and start learning chords and how to tune the guitar. If you can afford it, take lessons, once a week for a few will be enough to get you going. Most teachers can have you playing songs within 3-4 lessons.

If you can sing, start learning how to do it while playing. That is when, and only when, your skills will pay off with the broads.

I recomend Takamine, anything in the G-Series, Ovation acoustics. If money is not an issue, later on you can fork some serious cash for a nice Taylor acoustic/electric. PM me if you need any more help. All the best.

Mr. Unique

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just bought a 300$ acoustic today, for a bargain of 170$. Im a begginer so later ill buy a better one.