Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

acne after shaving

senor boom boom

Don Juan
Reaction score
i find that after shaving, a few little white spots start appearing. i use an aloe vera moisturiser after shaving (and morning and night every other day) and this seems to help with me acne overall but i still cant stop it after shaving. my chin feels really oily especially after shaving. any suggestions???

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
immediately after shaving try washing it in cold water. That has helped me stop white spots.

Bishop04

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have the same problem, until I talked to my dermatologist about it. He gave me 2 options. Either end up paying about 60 bucks a month for a creme, or buy an electric razor. I chose the razor - and haven't had the problem since.

I'd highly recommend moving over from a blade to an electric, as it eliminates about 95% of the razor burn/razor bumps you experience with the straight blade. Give it a shot for 29 days (it takes a few weeks for the razor to adjust to your type of hair...). If it hasn't worked, you still have 1 day left on your receipt so return it and go back to using what you do now. Either way, you don't lose anything - hope this helps.

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bishop04
I used to have the same problem, until I talked to my dermatologist about it. He gave me 2 options. Either end up paying about 60 bucks a month for a creme, or buy an electric razor. I chose the razor - and haven't had the problem since.

I'd highly recommend moving over from a blade to an electric, as it eliminates about 95% of the razor burn/razor bumps you experience with the straight blade. Give it a shot for 29 days (it takes a few weeks for the razor to adjust to your type of hair...). If it hasn't worked, you still have 1 day left on your receipt so return it and go back to using what you do now. Either way, you don't lose anything - hope this helps.

I would have to dissagree.

The point is to achieve the absolute minimum # of swipes. With an electric you are getting hundreds. With a blade, maybe 4-6 if you are good. More swipes = greater aggravation.

Abnigh9

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love

The point is to achieve the absolute minimum # of swipes. With an electric you are getting hundreds. With a blade, maybe 4-6 if you are good. More swipes = greater aggravation.
Excellent. This man is very correct.

Revlis

Don Juan
Reaction score
...also electric shavers are crap if you have thick hair.

Stick to a shaver it's a lot cleaner and close the pores after the shave with cold water.

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I now choose electric razors

i was using a regular mach 3 for about 2 years and i would get pimples, red marks, cuts, etc. from shaving.

now i use a nice norelco eletric shaver and its cut down on everything and i no longer get cuts.

also i bought the coolest thing, its called the microtouch. Its about the size of a pen and can get to individual hairs that it can be a pain to deal with, with any razor.

also use after shave after shaving with an eletric.

also, wash your face before you shave.

DJ Bishop

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love

From WebMD:

How can I avoid razor bumps after shaving?

By Charles Zugerman, MD

I've tried razors and shaving creams for men with sensitive skin, yet I still have razor bumps. What can I do to get rid of them?

March 6, 2000 (Chicago, Ill.) -- Razor bumps are a common and treatable nuisance. Normally, hair grows to the surface of the skin in a tube called a follicle, without touching the skin itself. If your beard is naturally thick and curly, or if your follicles grow out at oblique angles to the skin's surface, shaving can cause sharp ends on the hairs.

If the sharp ends penetrate the skin, the body reacts as if to any foreign object, such as a splinter. This can lead to a very red, pimple-like bump.

These changes in your shaving routine can help you reduce the problem:

Take a warm shower for at least two minutes before shaving to soften your beard. Hairs will cut more easily and the severed ends will be duller, making penetration of the skin less likely.

Use a razor that does not shave as closely or try an electric razor that is not set at the closest setting. Apply a lubricated shaving gel made for use with electric razors.

Choose a razor with a single blade. Double- or triple-bladed razors cut hair shafts so far down that they may recoil much farther back into the follicles. The hairs then may penetrate the follicle and cause a reaction in the surrounding skin.

To dislodge hairs that may be starting to grow into the skin, use a short-bristled toothbrush. Using a circular motion, gently brush the parts of your face that are prone to razor bumps once or twice daily.

Avoid aftershaves or colognes, which may irritate your skin. Instead, try a moisturizer containing lactic acid or glycolic acid to help soften the hairs.
Be patient. It may take several days to a few weeks to see improvement.

If these suggestions do not work, you may as a last resort want to consider alternatives to shaving, such as depilatories and electrolysis.

Occasionally red bumps are a sign of an infection. If the bumps do not resolve or improve, see your doctor or a dermatologist.

Charles Zugerman, MD, a practicing dermatologist and associate professor of clinical dermatology at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and a member of the Chicago Dermatological Society, Chicago Medical Society, American Medical Association, and the Noah Worcester Society.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
a stripper friend of mine says to apply deodorant to the areas that are breaking out as soon as you get done shaving to eliminate those pesky red bumps.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use both. Regular razor to get a close shave. The next day the electric razor. I use the electric razor until I need a close shave. Every other day, every two days, etc... as needed...

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe aloe gel would help? It seems to be working to remove those bags under people's eyes...