Absurd weight fluctuation

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
3 weeks ago, i weighed 171lbs - Not bad, my weight jumps are slower than they used to be, but thats to be expected once my body begins to adapt.

2 weeks ago, 169.5 - no big deal, it could be anything, a little less water in my system, less poop in the morning, its all good

1.5 weeks ago - 168.5 - aw crap. Im eating like a horse, lifting hard, yet losing weight. Very discouraged.

I make a few minor alterations with the help of you guys - lower-rep, higher-weight squats, pause squats (never done before), more focus on incline bench, slightly more frequent 20-rep squats. Deadlifts were also improving rapidly during this period.

I also start sleeping more (9-10hrs in an 11-hour night), and eating less as a result.

Today - 175.5lbs

!

What the hell? Surely the routine change made my body adapt to new demands, but how could I possibly eat less and gain 7.5 lbs in less than 2 weeks?

I guess this thread serves two purposes:

1) explain how weight gain works (I obviously have no clue)
2) encourage fellow skinny guys to not give up once progress seems to stall. BE CONSISTENT. I was tempted to skip meals figuring 'whats the point', but forced myself to do it anyway, and look what happened. Dont give up!

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I always weigh myself after a workout (around 3pm, I wake around 11am), though I have a shake and some water first. I step on the scale in only my underwear.

Though im probably not actually 175.5, I also wasnt actually 168.5, so I still made a 7lb jump.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the most consistent time of day to measure yourself is as soon as you wake up, right after you empty out but before you consume anything, food or liquid. anything else is a crapshoot in terms of accuracy or consistency. and even your morning wake-up weigh-in can be dramatically affected by diuretics before bedtime (esp. caffeine) and sweating, etc. during the night.

reliable changes in bodyweight must be measured in months, or corroborated by other evidence (e.g. clothes not fitting :D )