A tribute to The Doors

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is one of the most underrated bands. Up like a month and a half ago, the only song i knew from them was light my fire, which is considered their best song, but i think its just more like the instrumental doors at its best....But if youre talking about Jim morrisons best, i wouldnt even know where to begin. His lyrics are ****ing unbelieveable. on songs like "the end" and "celebration of the lizard", with the help of some psychedelic substances(mushrooms) you can have a sweet ass trip.

i bet some of the older people are like "oh no not the 60s again", but i mean the doors is just music at its best, and it sounds like it was all recorded yesterday....its timeless, so for the young generations, if you like rock a little on the dark side (i.e. the opposite of the beatles) listen to the doors.

ShizamDaMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Although I am not familiar with the Door's catalog of songs, I respect them for being one of the pioneering rock and roll bands of yesteryear. Who knows, if they hadn't been around then maybe my favorite band of all time, The Strokes, would never come to fruition. Julian Casablancas really got interested in music by listening to the Doors non-stop in Swiss boarding school.

While I love old school rock, I think that we should try and incorporate the best parts of it into new music, and use today's technology and knowledge rather than trying to play music that's at home in the 60's and 70's.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great band. I have one of their greatest hits albums and it's got some damn good songs on it. "LA Woman" is another great one.

You haven't listened to all of the Beatles if you think that "a little on the darker side" is the complete opposite of the Beatles. Forget all the early stuff and listen to albums like the White Album. I won't go saying that the Beatles have many really "dark" stuff, but a lot of people have the misconception that all of their songs are all happy and about love. They go much deeper.

BigDawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Underrated? Even though they pretty much ended with the death of Jim Morrison (with the occasional reunion of the surviving members), they had a TON of radio airplay well through the 1980s. I would hardly call them underrated. But I agree with you that their music is great stuff. Morrison was a visionary.

Of course, since then, radio stations have been doing different formats (AOR died a long time ago) and they seem to be driven more by market research than by listeners, so most of the stuff of the 60s tends to fall by the wayside.

They were very much a pioneering band of the 60s and early 70s and were very highly rated in their heyday. Even movie director Oliver Stone did a flick about them back in 1991 (wow! has it been that long?). To this day, they still garner a great deal of respect, although not nearly the exposure as they once did.

Oh, and if you want to hear some rock with a darker side, try Enchant, Porcupine Tree, Magellan, Dream Theater, or Queensryche, or even Pink Floyd. All of these bands create music that's pretty complex, and many of the songs have dark, foreboding lyrics.

Even the Beach Boys experimented with some darker stuff. So their music wasn't always kittens and sunshine either.

diceman

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Doors were a great band.
Though you've got to admit that after their first two amazing albums (the doors / strange days) they got progressivly worse. Mainly due to Jim Morrisons excessive alcoholism & drug taking.
(well, 'Touch me' is a good song i supose)

But Their early stuff is fantastic, musically, & especially lyric-ly. Though they can be quite criptic.

I've got a few books about the band that discuss the Lyrics & the the group. Jim Morrison did have some interesting philoshopies.
'Break on through (to the other side)' basically sums up the whole idea of DJ-ism down to it's essence.

Yeah, the film is definatly worth checking out. Val kimer is actually really incredible in that movie. One of the greatest performances i've ever seen infact.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didnt like the movie too much... Even tho I just started getting into the doors, ive watched a couple of their music videos and a couple of interviews of Jim morrison, and i dont think he was protrayed that accuratly in the movie. In the movie he seemed more in the brute side. I dont know i just think that in the stuff that ive watched of him he seems a lot more refined and soft. I think the movie concentrated too much on his relationship with pam.

Anyways i said theyre kinda underrated bc they are, at least nowadays. I mean if you listen to a classic rock stations, theyll constantly play led zepplin, the beatles, pink floyd, bruce springsteen, the who and many others but i rarly hear them play the doors, and if they do play them they only play "hello i love you, LA woman, and roadhouse blues" and that is it.

Yea i think their first two albums were the best, but i still like all the albums that followed....the soft parade was the only one i can say that was kinda weak.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
they are my favourite group, today i've been reading jim's biography for the 4th time or so:)

my favourite songs are

not to touch the earth
wild child
hello i love you
love street
crystal ship
the end
touch me
break on through

they all are fantastic, expecially the first 2 i listed (listen to them while you are drunk, dancing in a circle and then tell me)

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
they are my favourite group, today i've been reading jim's biography for the 4th time or so:)

my favourite songs are

not to touch the earth
wild child
hello i love you
love street
crystal ship
the end
touch me
break on through

they all are fantastic, expecially the first 2 i listed (listen to them while you are drunk, dancing in a circle and then tell me)

BigDawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by undesputable

...Anyways i said theyre kinda underrated bc they are, at least nowadays. I mean if you listen to a classic rock stations, theyll constantly play led zepplin, the beatles, pink floyd, bruce springsteen, the who and many others but i rarly hear them play the doors, and if they do play them they only play "hello i love you, LA woman, and roadhouse blues" and that is it...
I see your point. But if you consider the other bands you named, most of those classic rock stations play only a limited songlist from any of them (when was the last time you heard on the radio anything from the Who's Quadrophenia or The Kids are Alright? Or when was the last time you heard anything from Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn or Atom Heart Mother?). But I agree that the Doors seem to be under-represented.

whistler

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Her cvnt gripped me like a warm, friendly hand."

"There's blood in the streets, it's up to my ankles..."

Is that not poetry of the highest order? ;)

Really, a few songs aside, they were an awesome band.
Most people I know have never heard much of their catalog.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be a huge doors fan back when I was a junky.....but then I sobered up and lost interest in sniffing herione, taking acid, and smoking hash and I listened to those cd's a year later. I couldn't get into any of those songs anymore, well half of them at least. It's like the saying goes, "There's nothing worse than talking to a drunk when I'm not." Have you ever seen their live preformances..... the guy couldn't even show up to a show and stand up, oh he's so artistic and he LOVES his music yet he wouldn't even sober up just A LITTLE BIT to sing on stage. I remember going to my first Tool show and hearing them play Pu$hit revised and it was like I had just been through an intense emotional experience while sober. They're a band that practices day in and out and don't tak themselves half as seriously as the Doors did. The Doors weren't capable of doing that live IMO, without the aid of pyschodelics. Sorry I didn't mean to flame, if I had to pick a fave album it would be LA Woman.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by thefonz
I used to be a huge doors fan back when I was a junky.....but then I sobered up and lost interest in sniffing herione, taking acid, and smoking hash and I listened to those cd's a year later. I couldn't get into any of those songs anymore, well half of them at least. It's like the saying goes, "There's nothing worse than talking to a drunk when I'm not." Have you ever seen their live preformances..... the guy couldn't even show up to a show and stand up, oh he's so artistic and he LOVES his music yet he wouldn't even sober up just A LITTLE BIT to sing on stage. I remember going to my first Tool show and hearing them play Pu$hit revised and it was like I had just been through an intense emotional experience while sober. They're a band that practices day in and out and don't tak themselves half as seriously as the Doors did. The Doors weren't capable of doing that live IMO, without the aid of pyschodelics. Sorry I didn't mean to flame, if I had to pick a fave album it would be LA Woman.
I enjoy their music sober or not....although when im high or tripping i do seem to enjoy it a lot more.