Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A question for older and experienced guys

andersonsmith969

Don Juan
Reaction score
To clarify: this isn't a personal question, I want to have discussion on this topic.

I was wondering what life and pickup was like "back then." I don't care how far back, I'm just looking for discussion comparing pickup then to today for people who actually lived through them.

I myself wasn't old enough to understand game and women even in the year 2000, but everybody seems to think things are really bad and there is rampant feminism today. Would really like to know if you guys agree and compare the different time periods with today.

Also, if there are other threads like this, please post them.

Last edited:

Don_Dom

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's always been the same, little brother. The internet has just brought a different level of awareness to "game" on both sides.

I went to college at a large southern university and used the thinking that "these girls can't be hit on" as an excuse for not getting my game in order. It was a rationalization for my own failure.

Don't think so much and don't dwell on bull****. Take care of yourself as a man and the rest will fall into place.

Take care of your game and your game will take care of you.

HeadLightsOn

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
OP can you post your age please? Will give me a reference point.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was 16 in 2000 and had just started getting with girls, most of them did not have a cellphone and you had to get their home phone number call them talk with either their mum or dad before you got to speak with the girl herself. I didn't ever use any rules about calling 3 days later or what not sometimes would get the girls number on Thursday or Friday and be out with her the exact same weekend and actually go do sh!t.

You actually had friends that wanted to go out every Friday/Saturday and Sunday and go play pool/bowling/ice skating/fishing/hunting/house parties. Weekends actually were weekends and people went and did things. In the day time I played sports for school and club and at night we chilled at mates houses or picked up the chicks and went movies or just chilled and listened to music and things.

I wouldn't say it was different it's just people were harder to get a hold of BUT they were always outside doing something rather than being glued to a screen 24/7. As I grew up and started uni more and more people had cellphones and were easier to get a hold of BUT much much harder to organize and set up fun events to get things done.

People started to stay indoors more the malls and pool halls and bowling halls started to get empty. Many places have since then shut down. More people hanging out in greater downtown at bars and clubs all glued to their phones not dancing but texting and taking pics for myspace/hi5/bebo and now facebook.

There is still this one pool hall in my city that's been around since I was a kid and on the weekends its empty, people would rather get drunk at home and at a bar and take pictures rather then go out and actually have some fun. No one wants to go for a weekend roadtrip to a beach and have a party, people are just PLAIN BORING now, always online always connected to each other yet don't have the social skills of a monkey.

I'm 29 now and the people I hang out with are into the same things as myself we spend the weekends actually doing fun and interesting things and then spend the week at work talking about these things. People at work envy our group because we are actually living, the girls in my group are labeled as sluts and the guys players and they think we all sleep with each other. Yet these same people that are always glued to their phones are always trying to get into our group and experience what we get up to on weekends.

The girls I date are amazed that I have such an outgoing lifestyle and such "cool" friends that are doing fun things on weekends, and to be honest we are not doing anything different we're just not glued to our screens and are just doing normal fun things. We go play pool we go ice skating we go swimming in the middle of the night we go camping ..... We just do sh!t.

I firmly believe that is the essence of life ..... doing things that are fun, because when you do things that are fun people are attracted to you without you lifting a finger.

Of course you still study work and train nothing changes, you still plan for a future :)

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 34.

Even though the relationship advice forums, blogs, etc. exist now, most men and women don't troll these sites for advice. At least, my peers are totally unaware of this stuff from what I gather. Of course, most of them are dating or married now so they don't need to be on these sites, per se, but even I didn't know about "The Game" or SS until this winter.

I do think social media has made dating a real pain in the ass, however. Women can basically pre-screen you via photos, postings, etc. without ever getting to know you or see you in person to formulate an opinion.

Something interesting:

I once met a girl at a house party who I really got along with, thought she was sort of cute, but wasn't really all that interested in. I creeped her Facebook profile a little later out of boredom and she looked so much better in the flesh...as opposed to her online presence. So much of what made her engaging was missing in her virtual presence.

Sir_Laid_A_Lot

Don Juan
Reaction score
andersonsmith969 said:
To clarify: this isn't a personal question, I want to have discussion on this topic.

I was wondering what life and pickup was like "back then." I don't care how far back, I'm just looking for discussion comparing pickup then to today for people who actually lived through them.

I myself wasn't old enough to understand game and women even in the year 2000, but everybody seems to think things are really bad and there is rampant feminism today. Would really like to know if you guys agree and compare the different time periods with today.

Also, if there are other threads like this, please post them.
My pickup period really started to kick off when i went to Bangkok to study my under graduate and Masters Degree Programs. Spent 8 years in Bangkok and partied a lot. There were times when i used to f*ck 8 women a month. Have gotten laid with 260 women so far but i am not in Bangkok anymore since i am done with my studies.

HalfPUAHalfAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With iphones and facebook, etc., women's options to gain attention have skyrocketed.

As a result, they are choosier.

Getting a girl's phone number actually meant she was interested in going out sometime. Now, it means just a little more than nothing.

As women continue to get more educated and have career options, a guy's ambition, job, provisioning ability, and so on, mean less and less. Increasingly, its a man's balls, charm, confidence, smoothness, and so on. I.e., game is more important.

Younger folks tend to assume they invented the hook-up, but that's been going on all along. But "hook-up culture" is increasingly replacing dating. So, "courting" a women to get her to like you is less important than charming her panties off soon as you meet her.

Some guys have responded by hitting on women like machines and as a result, women's attention has grown exponentially, and as a result of that so has their self-esteem.

Because of all of the above, women get crushes on guys less and less. They emotionally bond to guys less quickly and dump them just as soon as they get a better offer.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The biggest impact on dating is due to cellphones first, social networks later and smart phones finally.

You see with cellphones you no longer need to have someone near you to have company/attention or plan something, especially for women which needs attention much more then men.

Then the social networks recreated the basic concept of attention wh0ring, women no longer required to be physically somewhere to be be paid with attention nor communicate with anyone in particular, all they had to do was upload a picture or throw a random bair for some svcker to bite.

Those same women making fun of nerds spening many hours near a screen to play some videogames, became the online attention wh0res inviting you to play farmville while fishing for compliments and attention.

Also social networks give any sucker the change to make a try, those guys too shy or insecure to approach are not competing with you by paying with the only currency that women accept from anyone "validation".

The finally the smartphones with social networks integrated and a constant net to communicate to others where they are or share pictures real time.

You see a top percenter which can get girls everywhere first had to go to a club and get girls there, now he can also can get girls everywhere thanks to this technologies so if you once had green light cause you were cool enough in some particular place, now you risk to not being anymore cause someone somewhere else is still in position to compete.

Needless to say that I agree with that concept about being harder to know new people but being easier to do something with them, now I can easily get numbers at night but they probably are sh1t the following morning.

Hustlaz Ambition

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Me myself being 19 would have no clue on the old days, but everybody tells me there were less fat warpigs in the club. F!CK stay your fatass out of the club, nobody wants you.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don Dom said:
It's always been the same, little brother. The internet has just brought a different level of awareness to "game" on both sides.
There's nothing new under the sun.

I'm 52, so I was of dating age in the 70s and 80s. I haven't seen any bad female behavior described here that wasn't around back then. There's just more of it now. Not surprising, with the continued erosion of morality. Of course, PUAs love the lack of morality since they see morals as part of the "matrix". But women would just as happily rip your heart out without a second thought back then as they do now.

Guys here seem to think pickup was invented in the 90s, but that is ridiculous. We didn't have the internet to share our common experiences, but most of what I see on here was talked about back then in some form or other. Don't put women on pedestals. Wait three days to call. Make her jealous. Play hard to get. Be confident. Don't be afraid to approach. Play the numbers game. Play cat and mouse (push/pull). If you were at all subservient to a girl, your friends would call you "pvssy whipped" and hassle you mercilessly.

Thing is, in those days, nobody took this stuff too seriously (they probably still shouldn't) . These were just tales and sayings, like urban myths.
Also, since there was no central location for this information, you had to go out and learn what advice was actually true by the school of hard knocks, by going out and getting experience. Come to think of it, that's also true today. But at least now you can come here and read how some poster screwed up and learn from his mistakes.

Big Nuts said:
The vaginas had a lot more hair that's for sure.
That is very true. I agree with Don Dom, the shaving's a big improvement.

HalfPUAHalfAFC said:
Some guys have responded by hitting on women like machines and as a result, women's attention has grown exponentially, and as a result of that so has their self-esteem.
The community wants to blame AFCs for giving women too much attention, but I've always thought that PUAs and wannabe PUAs contribute to it far more.

Megaman XIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
HalfPUAHalfAFC said:
With iphones and facebook, etc., women's options to gain attention have skyrocketed.

And men keep feeding these egos.

As a result, they are choosier.

Women always have options, most men don't. Women control the dating game and they hold the sex card. Men do not.

Getting a girl's phone number actually meant she was interested in going out sometime. Now, it means just a little more than nothing.

Getting a girl's number might mean f**k off!

As women continue to get more educated and have career options, a guy's ambition, job, provisioning ability, and so on, mean less and less.

A man's job is actually important. Ambition only is code for a guy who made it and plans on staying made it. Not working man on the up and up. There isn't enough ambition to get a woman wet.

Increasingly, its a man's balls, charm, confidence, smoothness, and so on. I.e., game is more important.

But the looks and money have to be there first. If they're unattractive, your balls, charm, confidence, personality, etc. will do very little to compensate. They don't make you or your bank look any more attractive.

Younger folks tend to assume they invented the hook-up, but that's been going on all along. But "hook-up culture" is increasingly replacing dating. So, "courting" a women to get her to like you is less important than charming her panties off soon as you meet her.

Agree.

Women love value, not love. Women want the beta males of the world to believe otherwise. The media is catering heavily to their colossal egos, and women are unfazed by rejection. Not only that, the "Golden vagina" syndrome is growing exponentially and spreading like wildfire!

Because of all of the above, women get crushes on guys less and less. They emotionally bond to guys less quickly and dump them just as soon as they get a better offer.

Which makes me wonder, if all men were male model millionaires, who would women choose? Would men control the dating game then?
Women band together to raise the price of love and sex all the time. Men are doing it too by pedestalizing women and having oneitises.

It's all about the value (looks, money, status) that you can offer a woman.

Get equipped with the facts.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It was all about looks back in the day. If you were a good lookin' guy, you'd have snail tracks all over the back seat of your Chevy.

Smok1nAce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i jus think the game has changed and men idolize women way to much. Thus women are gassed up.

Megaman XIV

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Still is, in my opinion.

2 things never go out of style when it comes to attracting prime puvssy:

1. Money
2. Looks

In that order, in my opinion.
Agreed!

If you have money, but not so good looks, you can BUY GOOD LOOKS! All that gray area crap (confidence, personality, humor, etc.) comes after your value has been determined.

andersonsmith969

Don Juan
Reaction score
Megaman XIV said:
Agreed!

If you have money, but not so good looks, you can BUY GOOD LOOKS! All that gray area crap (confidence, personality, humor, etc.) comes after your value has been determined.
If that's true, it might explain why I smile at girls and they immediately do everything possible to avoid looking at me.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hustlaz Ambition said:
Me myself being 19 would have no clue on the old days, but everybody tells me there were less fat warpigs in the club.
There were definitely less fat chicks back in the day. There were some, but not like there is now.

SmokInAce said:
i jus think the game has changed and men idolize women way to much. Thus women are gassed up.
Back when I was growing up, there was still a fair amount of chivalry going on. What's odd is that guys are less chivalrous now, and yet the women seem to be more idolized. It's kind of strange when you think about it.