Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A lesson in online marketing and money making on google

I'm Joe Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, let me tell you guys about something I tried on google. Maybe you guys have done this before, maybe you have some tips you can offer me.

Basically what I did was I signed up for affiliate programs that pay a commission per sale, around $20-$29 (lets say $25 average). The products are either software or informational products like eBooks (they even have dating eBooks).

The way it works is usually if you're a webmaster, you put their ad on your site and then when someone clicks through and buys within 60 days of the click you get money.

What I did instead was I signed up for google adwords and created an ad for whatever product I was advertising and made the URL my affiliate URL. I offered 10 cents per cilck and google automatically put my ad on people's sites. The idea is that I cut out the need for having a website to promote affiliate programs.

I figured if I get a conversion ratio of 1/2 a percent, meaning 1 out of 200 clicks results in an average of $25 commssion, at 10 cents a click I make $5 profit.

Raise the conversion ratio to 1% (which is typical online from what research I conducted, mostly reading about this kind of stuff), and every 100 clicks, or $10 spent, I make ~$15 profit. Not bad!

I set my budget to $50 a day, figuring that should get me 500 clicks a day and therefore anywhere from $25-75 profit depending on the conversion ratio.

Few Days Later...

The problem is that google showed my ad ~45,000 times, I got 11 clicks, so I had to pay google $1.10 and that resulted in no sales. Not suprising for 11 clicks since I figured it would take 100-200 to get a sale, but what upset me the most is that google didn't utilize my maximum budget I set.

The other thing that seemed odd to me was the low click through ratio. Since I was not paying by the impression I didn't mind so much that my ad was shown 45,000 times (normally at $1 CPM which is typical online those impressions alone would've cost me $45), but what made me think was that only 11 people clicked through.

That means one out of roughly every 4,000 impressions yielded a click, a click through ratio of ~0.00025%..... pretty bad.

So yeah, my clever scheme fell apart due to google's adwords. I am very disappointed, I really hoped they'd deliver the clicks for my daily budget, but they didn't.

Lessons I learned here are that for online advertisers, google adwords are a great way to build brand awareness, much more than deliver sales. Its also more cost effective to pay per click than per impression through adwords, if this click through ratio holds throughout other advertising campaigns.

Think about it, some sites charge $1 to $5 CPM (Cost Per Thousand, the M is Roman for 1,000 for those who arent familiar with internet marketing or marketing in general), so 45,000 impressions would've cost $45-$225. If that only yielded 11 clicks, that'd be $4-$20 per click. Ouch!

With google adwords, if $1.10 is the cost per 45,000 impressions, thats a CPM of just 2.44 Cents! Wow! That's like 97% lower than even the minimum CPM when you pay directly for impressions only.

At that rate, to get your advertisement shown on 1,000,000 websites - pretty significant coverage - it would only cost roughly $25.

I wonder if this click through ratio holds for banner ads and not just google adwords, because banner ads are more catchy and can be used to display a message more effectivley. If it does hold, then a banner ad campaign through google on a click through basis would be wonderful for raising brand awareness.

If the click through ratio is higher, then sabotaging such a campaign and purposley omitting call to action phrases so that the banner is noticed but not clicked would get that job done also.

So yeah, that is my lesson in online marketing for now.

If anyone has any other experiences with google adwords let me know. Maybe I am just writing the ads wrong or something or google is screwing me over.

I am planning on experimenting a bit more once I get some ideas so I can really learn about online marketing for one, and two to make some money.

ethnomethodologist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe, if you ever read this PM me, I've got a secret for you.

provide a link to this page to refresh my memory if you read this in like july or something...

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dude I've been using google adwords for at least 6 years... well not anymore, but I did.. it, with overture, was the backbone of my old compaines marketing campaign.

.5 percent is a not a very good click-though ratio whatsoever.. at the very least, at least dealing with google, overture can be a tad bit lower.. you want to aim for at least 2%

Your keywords probably weren't targeted enough

You are using the google adwords affiliate program correct?

anyway, I got to the point where it was like clockwork... on average, 3 out of 100 people that saw our ad on google would click.. out of 100 people that actually came to our site, on average 2-4 would buy within 3 months of seeing the add

If you are selling items, and not just trying to make some money by using your site for clicks, overture is heads and sholders better than adwords (this is up for debate, but google can't hold a candle to the amount of QUALITY traffic that overture can bring in)

There are other "major" PPC sites

findwhat.com
kanoodle.com
brainfox.com
goclick.com

there are a couple more, but it's been awhile

out of thoose other major sites, findwhat.com is the only one worth mentioning... they are pretty cheap and as far as I could see, they don't seen bots to your site like the rest do

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had a similar experience as backbreaker. I worked on af's mortgage site. There are several small ppc companies; most are not worth your time. Overture has a good and free keyword suggestion tool. Your keyword selection is everything, and the right method will vary with different products and services. By being on this site, you have special knowledge about the seduction buzzwords. You might try those as keywords.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bible_Belt
Your keyword selection is everything, and the right method will vary with different products and services.
What is the main concept in selecting the right keywords? And what do you think is a good price CPM?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bible_Belt
I have had a similar experience as backbreaker. I worked on af's mortgage site. There are several small ppc companies; most are not worth your time. Overture has a good and free keyword suggestion tool. Your keyword selection is everything, and the right method will vary with different products and services. By being on this site, you have special knowledge about the seduction buzzwords. You might try those as keywords.
I knew I was forgetting something.

wordtracker.com

I think that's it

they have a free trail, but go ahead and splurge and sign up for a week.. it's nothing but like 15 dolars and lord knows how much money this damn tool brought in to my company.. really the only way we were successful is we were able to pay so little on marketing, because we had well over 10k keywords in good and overture, meaning we averaged like 12 cents per click, if that

TooColdUlrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you can make a boatload of money doing this, and other things, if you know what you're doing. i'm not going to tell anyone here, but i make pretty damn good bank doing practically nothing.

you need (MUST) deploy "black hat" strategies for generating traffic. black hat isn't illegal or unethical, in fact most major web sites including GOOGLE itself, do "black hat" stuff.

if you can generate traffic, you can make money.

don't PM me about this. :woo:

Inc. ©

Don Juan
Reaction score
Another option is to be the webmasters and use Google Adsense...I'm the one who shows your ads. Just spam the internet with thousands of automatically created sites and watch the clicks and money roll in!

:cheer: