Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A few questions & Routine Critique

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off, I was wondering about the core strength issue. As far as I know, the core is the center of all movement and lately I've been catching a few articles talking about how improving your core strength will improve speed, explosiveness, etc. As an athlete, anything that would improve my speed and explosiveness would make me drool. However, I haven't be able to find any certain exercises that would improve core strength other than crunches, back extensions, etc. You know, the simple exercises they teach you in gym. I'm well aware of weighting the exercises and such, but I was just wondering what else I could do...

Then theres a routine I would like some critique on.

Goals:
Gain A Great Deal of **Lean** Mass (Obviously)
Improve Overall Body Power (Not just strength, POWER)
Improve Speed
Balance Out Muscle Strength Inequalities

I've included some Oly lifts, followed by the conventional three so that I can improve my explosiveness.
Routine:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday Mornings:
40yd Sprints (2)
60yd Sprints (2)
10yd Sprints (4)

Monday: Bench

Bench: Work Up to 3RM
Cleans: 4x4
---------------------------
Assistance:
DB Incline Press 3x8
Dips (Weighted) 1x10
Skull Crushers 3x8
DB Overhead Extensions 2x6

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Deadlift Routine
Deadlift Work Up to 3RM
Clean & Jerk 4x4
-------------------------------
Assistance:
Pull Ups
Close Grip(Palms Facing Eachother) 2x6
Wide Grip (Palms Facing Away from Body) 2x6
Military Press 3x6
Barbell Rows 3x10
DB Curls 3x8

Thursday:Rest

Friday: Squat Routine
Squat Work Up to 3RM
-------------------------------
Assistance:
Leg Press: 2x6
Glute/Hams: 4x6
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 3x6
Calf Raises: 4x12

Not sure where to put the core work, or WHAT to do with the core work. Also, I was looking to add some grip work in there, not sure if the lifts themselves would accomplish that or not.

Alright, let 'er rip.

Last edited:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
opinion: inclined full motion sit ups, with weights.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Throttle re the ab work. (2x a week)

However, in doing your olympic lifts before your core exercises you're reducing your squat, deadlift and bench poundages, also fatiguing yourself which could result in injury. Do the oly lifts after the core lifts.

Add another posterior core exercise to your squat day e.g. hyperextensions, good mornings, stiff leg deadlift, etc.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, I'll put the stiff legged deadlifts on there.

My school gym doesn't have a sit up bench, so the inclines will be difficult. Any "ghetto" ways to do this?

And would it be wise to just cut out the Oly lifts on my squat days? I know if I do them after my squats, I'll be too jello like to really even think about doing the snatch.

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with W.A. about the weight training adjustments.

Sprint training and weight training should be on the same days for CNS optimization i.e. High intensity activities (max effort strength training, max effort speed work, max effort plyos, max effort agility work etc.) depletes your CNS to a and it generally needs around 48 hrs to fully recover, so alternating between high intensity days and low intensity days (examples of low intensity work: submaximal conditioning, tempo runs, aerobic work, jump rope, low intensity plyos etc.) is the best way to optimize the functioning of your CNS and get the most out of your training. These are the basic principles behind all of the worlds leading strength and conditioning coaches ideas e.g. Charlie Francis, Joe DeFranco, James Smith, Kelly Baggett etc.

So in saying that perform sprint training in the morning and weights in the afternoon or vice versa (giving yourself 6 hrs minimum of recovery between sessions). Also get rid of jump rope on your sprint training days, that can be done on your low intensity days, sprint training should be strictly max effort short sprints, plyos and agility drills. Also make sure you are getting full recovery between your sprints (10m = 1 min rest min.), though you probably already know that.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Edited following advice of Dirty & Alex.

Also, right now, I have no agility ladder, no agility hurdles or anything of the sorts. I'm pretty bare with my accessories. Any other speed work I could do in the mornings before school?

dirtysanchez

Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Also, right now, I have no agility ladder, no agility hurdles or anything of the sorts. I'm pretty bare with my accessories. Any other speed work I could do in the mornings before school?
Here are some agility drills you can do without a ladder: http://www.athletes.com/fun/md60.htm

If you want to do some extra speed work in the mornings, you could add some plyometric exercises: http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Weight_Room/program_design.htm, keep it low volume though (20-40 contacts overall), as you don't want it to affect your sprint work.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for that

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could I use the glute/ham "machine" to do my core on. Face the opposite way, hold a plate or two, do full range "sit-ups"?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
Could I use the glute/ham "machine" to do my core on. Face the opposite way, hold a plate or two, do full range "sit-ups"?
if you feel stable enough, sure thing.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alrighty. I used to do broomstick crunches on it, so that shouldn't be a problem. It seemed like it hit the full wall.