Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A Couple of Questions About the Clean/Press

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

When you're doing clean/press, when do you take a breath and then exhale? I've found that I'm holding my breath all the way through the clean and don't take a breath until after I've pressed the weight overhead.

Also, how long are you holding the weight after you've pressed it overhead? I was doing clean/presses today, I won't say much about how well I did until I post up my journal this weekend, but I want to get the most out of the exercise. Haha!! The muscles running behind my right shoulder blade up through the right side of my neck are a little kinked. That doesn't usually happen. But then I got in a lot of upper body workout during recreation activities during the holiday yesterday.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't do clean & press but I do clean & jerk. I do the Valsalva maneuver at the beginning, exhale once I've racked the bar on the front of the shoulders, and then do another Valsalva maneuver before the jerk.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I don't do clean & press but I do clean & jerk. I do the Valsalva maneuver at the beginning, exhale once I've racked the bar on the front of the shoulders, and then do another Valsalva maneuver before the jerk.

Thanks, Kerpal, I looked Valsalva maneuver up on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

So you're exhaling three times? Seems like it puts a lot of work on the cardiac muscle at least that's what I got from the wikipedia article. How long have you been using the Valsalva maneuver?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, I inhale once before I start, then I clean the weight, exhale, inhale, jerk, and don't exhale again until after I've dropped it. I've been using it for about 2 years. It is the way your body is designed to work when pushing/pulling a heavy object.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't do clean and press. I just do powercleans, and will throw in the occasional split jerk. I have bad rotator cuffs and have to use a fair bit of discretion when performing overhead movements.

Anyways, olympic lifts are all about explosive movement. They're basically controlled explosions. The amount of power you generate for olympic lifts will greatly exceed most other lifts, except for maybe heavy plyometric work.

For the powerclean I always exhale forcefully right when I explode up with the weight. This is also the case with the split jerk: forceful exhalation during the explosive part of the lift.