A Break From Social Media

Roni_88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just was thinking now how much Facebook consumes my time and many times I'm just checking news feed and nonsense. Thinking about taking a break from it, at first I think its tough because I'm used to be on there frequently but I think it would help tons to dedicate time to other stuff especially towards self improvement. Has anyone done this ? thoughts ?

yungballa

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just was thinking now how much Facebook consumes my time and many times I'm just checking news feed and nonsense. Thinking about taking a break from it, at first I think its tough because I'm used to be on there frequently but I think it would help tons to dedicate time to other stuff especially towards self improvement. Has anyone done this ? thoughts ?
Summer of 2015 I removed myself from social media completely and I just focused on improving myself.

I had never been so focused in my whole life. Go ahead and try it man. You'll be so focused it's incredible; you won't have those dumb distractions from the internet and all them bums on the internet trying to act cool and all that jazz.

The summer I removed myself from social media was like a turning point in my life. I improved so much.
Try it.

Rave18

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Summer of 2015 I removed myself from social media completely and I just focused on improving myself.

I had never been so focused in my whole life. Go ahead and try it man. You'll be so focused it's incredible; you won't have those dumb distractions from the internet and all them bums on the internet trying to act cool and all that jazz.

The summer I removed myself from social media was like a turning point in my life. I improved so much.
Try it.
I took myself off SM from the past six-seven months and I agree with the above completely.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, facebook was cool for 5 minutes.

Berom

Don Juan
Reaction score
I took a break from FB 3 years ago for 6 months. It did wonders to how I view my life and the life of others. I no longer compare my real life to everyone else's 'successful' FB life. I did eventually get back on because I see more positives than negatives, but I definitely have a tremendous better view of society.

yungballa

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Never have been on social media. I saw how it consumed my friends and society, and couldn't stand it. Plus why do I want to see you and what you're doing every day? Or why would I want to share what I'm doing all the time?
It's sad; this is our generation. They're all obsessed with social media and they're ego and pride have blinded them so far that they think they have the need to share their everyday lives with people; or that they are entitled to some sort of special treatment because of the attention they get on social media, sometimes even **** fvcking strangers. They base their self-worth according to the attention they get on social media. It's soooo sad how brainwashed things are today. People are mislead, and deluded in their heads because of the very apps like Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, so on and so forth. For one, I think Instagram and Snapchat do the most damage. You've got the girls who think they're godesses and then you got the thirsty men who feed the these women's ego.

It's sickening. Everybody just wants to fill their ego and prove they're better. What a shallow time we live in.

I've never been to crazy about social media. I have a Facebook (which I no longer use) and an Instagram and that's about it; but I don't get way too over my head with it. Moderation is key. Besides, I only use IG to connect with friends mostly and just laugh at funny posts; and sometimes read the knowledge posted on there.

It's terrible. Everybody's got something to prove.

Reaction score
Social Media is awesome. IT's great. ETC ETC

Just don't have the time for it.. My plates keep me busy when I'm not busy working on cars, doing business, hanging with friends or working out.

parkthebus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would recommend readinging. About a year and a half ago I found myself unemployed and filled at least 10 hours a day reading. I felt myself becoming very "mindful" (a term used by bhuddists)... Essentially unemotionally attached but in a constructive way. It helps your logical concentration (coming from someone with am ADHD diagnoses here). It takes a great deal many more hours than directly meditating but its easier and you gain knowledge from it.

Doesn't have to be boring knowledge. For example, I LOVE soccer so I read autobiographies written by people at the top of the game. It keeps me completely engaged and I'm learning about a subject I feel a passion for. Whether it's useful or not is irrelevant, as long as I enjoy it. At the moment, I'm reading a book on African history (most interesting fact so far is that Ethiopian means burnt faced people in ancient Greek lol) and til it bores me ill contonue to enjoy it and soak up the knowledge.

f(x)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I keep mine only in case I lose my phone so I won't lose contacts I want to keep. I used to follow a ton of dumb 5h1t on there but removed it all. I went from spending almost 2-3 hours a day to about 15 minutes a day. I've gotten laid off of it and found old friends through it too, so imo it's a good tool to have but just be careful not to misuse it. It should be nothing more than a phone book/ answering machine.

Last edited:

sharkbeat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social media is a terrible product modern society has invented.

A 13 year old can become popular from a single tweet. People create and do things just to get themselves out there, even for a day or two. Being "viral" is more important than anything.

I pretty stopped getting involved in any kind of social media discussions since several years back. People who are addicted to social media are usually introverts who "don't fit in". They can yap and make bold statements from behind the screen, while keep themselves free from the emotional engagement if it were being said to real people in real life.

I personally know two people who in real life are really quiet people. Once I befriend them on facebook (thinking they are nice people), then holy ****, their tweets and updates are nasty.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In promoting a new business or web site, one is expected to be a big attention wh0re over social media. I can't stand that idea.

visions

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I last had Facebook in 2005, and that was for 3 months. Never looked back

logicallefty

Reaction score
I was going to make a new thread about this but this thread here re Social Media is active, so let me share what just happened to me over the past few days.

I setup a Twitter account for the sole purpose if following the Presidential Elections this year. Last week there was a Twitter feed about one one of the two female candidates. I made the dumb mistake of having my Twitter in my real name. I posted some smack that neither said candidate or any of their gender will ever be President in my lifetime. This femi**** made a derogatory comment directed at me that had an F bomb in it. I next posted that she, the femi****, was a prime example of why the Chinese have legal limits on her gender. She took my real name and backgrounded me to where I work which I think she got from my Linked in. Then she called my work and complained that I was saying bad stuff online and harassing her!! All starting over posts on the Presidential election. My boss gave me a good talking to and ordered me to get off social media with my real name and identity. Which on FB I already do that, but I had used my own name on Twitter, foolishly.. I am telling you guys, this could have went way worse for me than it did. But it really drilled home for me and opened my eyes EVEN MORE just how social media can be, the thing women will do, and just how all out crazy things have become.. I also thought of my late father. Back in the 1990s he worked as a phone company lineman. Once I guess he got into a pretty bad work issue with one or more women who worked in the phone company office. I think it lead to him getting written up, whatever it was, I don't remember. He told me he was going to talk to and interact with as few women as humanly possible. My naive self at the time said "Dad that's a bit paranoid and extreme, isn't it?" That was in the 1990s.. Things are 50x worse now. I completely get it now. He was on to something that from now on, I am going to adopt into my life.. This goes way beyond dating... I'm talking everything, both offline and online.. This sh|t is getting too serious.. And the stakes are too high.

Last edited:

Glumix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was going to make a new thread about this but this thread here re Social Media is active, so let me share what just happened to me over the past few days.

I setup a Twitter account for the sole purpose if following the Presidential Elections this year. Last week there was a Twitter feed about one one of the two female candidates. I made the dumb mistake of having my Twitter in my real name. I posted some smack that neither said candidate or any of their gender will ever be President in my lifetime. This femi**** made a derogatory comment directed at me that had an F bomb in it. I next posted that she, the femi****, was a prime example of why the Chinese have legal limits on her gender. She took my real name and backgrounded me to where I work which I think she got from my Linked in. Then she called my work and complained that I was saying bad stuff online and harassing her!! All starting over posts on the Presidential election. My boss gave me a good talking to and ordered me to get off social media with my real name and identity. Which on FB I already do that, but I had used my own name on Twitter, foolishly.. I am telling you guys, this could have went way worse for me than it did. But it really drilled home for me and opened my eyes EVEN MORE just how social media can be, the thing women will do, and just how all out crazy things have become.. I also thought of my late father. Back in the 1990s he worked as a phone company lineman. Once I guess he got into a pretty bad work issue with one or more women who worked in the phone company office. I think it lead to him getting written up, whatever it was, I don't remember. He told me he was going to talk to and interact with as few women as humanly possible. My naive self at the time said "Dad that's a bit paranoid and extreme, isn't it?" That was in the 1990s.. Things are 50x worse now. I completely get it now. He was on to something that from now on, I am going to adopt into my life.. This goes way beyond dating... I'm talking everything, both offline and online.. This sh|t is getting too serious.. And the stakes are too high.

One really must understand that every bit of data he send on the internet is PUBLIC. We talk about privacy but this is complete non-sense. Your data are exposed everywhere even if you set your profile as private Facebook still use your data.

For example, Facebook have and use your private phone book as soon as you install the application on your mobile phone even though you have no account and your contacts never used Facebook. So once you create an account, they already know your mom and dad.

It just scares me when some youngsters here post some mysoginistic assumptions with a shirtless pics of themselves as an avatar. One day, you are going to look for a job, and they are going to search you on Google. There is facial recognition search that work pretty good nowaday.

So yeah, think twice...

I have been on the internet since 1996 and I can still find some data I posted 20 years ago.

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

You say something in your private life and it suddenly becomes a discussion with your boss and a threat to your employment. It wasn't a threat or intimidation. It was a remark someone else did not appreciate and it comes to this? Yikes!

logicallefty

Reaction score
You say something in your private life and it suddenly becomes a discussion with your boss and a threat to your employment. It wasn't a threat or intimidation. It was a remark someone else did not appreciate and it comes to this? Yikes!
Yes, exactly right. There is no logic in it. But then again the logic element has been taken out of a lot of stuff lately. One would think if what I said was offensive to her she would just block me and be done.. But that's too logical, isn't it?

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, exactly right. There is no logic in it. But then again the logic element has been taken out of a lot of stuff lately. One would think if what I said was offensive to her she would just block me and be done.. But that's too logical, isn't it?
What happened to Free Speech?

Edit----> I miss Free Speech!!!!!

logicallefty

Reaction score
What happened to Free Speech?

Edit----> I miss Free Speech!!!!!
It was on that paper that said "First Ammendment" that was flushed down the toilet in the women's restroom with all of their pi$$, sh|t, and period blood all over it.