Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A bit confused on protein intake

bish0p

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did some research on protein intake and I'm a bit confused about what I need to do.

I'm 175 lbs and I used the protein calculators on bodybuilding.com to see how much protein I should consume.

Now, on one protein calculator, it says I need between 175-210 grams of protein...this is according to the calculator I used on this page:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/musclebuilding_essentials.htm

However, the protein calculator on this page...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hardgainer-muscle-building-1-nutrition.htm

...reads that I need 263 grams of protein.

Which is it or is there something I'm missing?

bish0p

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew as much.

I'm guessing that most would recommend 2 grams to give yourself some leeway as you go up in weight as well as to be on the safe side.

shizz702

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
2x bodyweight is where it is at. If you want to get big you got to pound the protein.

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm hoping my question just supplements yours.

When you guys say 2x bodyweight.... that's if you are trying to do what, exactly? Get huge?

In other words, if I'm looking for some solid definition, but not massive bulk, does the 2x still apply? Or is 1/1.5x more suitable?

PoZest

Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember to spread it out throughout the day, most people's bodies can only register around 40g at one time. Anything more will just be wasted. I think 1.5x is enough.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
You'll get varying opinions on this...this is my opinion: you should aim for a MINIMUM 1 gram protein per pound of your current bodyweight...

Most guys recommend 1.5 to 2 grams per lb. bodyweight.
I agree with this.

I was taking in about 1.5x and worked for me (until I broke my arm recently...)

Also agree with the comment about spreading it out during the day. Aim to take some in every 2 - 3 hours

bish0p

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to consume this much (1.5 - 2 grams), but never really payed much attention to it. I was taking two different protein shakes: ONs Pro Complex in the morning and before bed and Cytogainer post workout, both with 60 grams of protein.

I would also eat a Big 100 or Met-Rx protein bar with 32 g protein. I did have normal meals in between for lunch, dinner, and snacks, but the protein shakes were the main staple of my diet.

I packed on quite of bit of muscle and looked really good.

But, I've been off for a few years now and I'm trying to eat more "real" meals, but I'm just not getting as much protein as I did when I was drinking a protein shake 3 times a day.

So, I've been doing this the past few days, but I'm changing it up a bit. For instance, in the morning, I will eat a 1/2 of oatmeal with the shake instead of just the shake. With the protein bar, I will have a banana, etc and some almonds.

I just want some real foods more often because I don't want to spend the rest of my life drinking protein shakes.

escobar04

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been taking at least a gram per bodyweight over the past 5 years of lifting and it works for me

you grow from overall calorie intake, not necessarily from higher protein intake