48 laws of power

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone read the book? I stated reading it last year, went through some health issues.( Developed anxiety and panic attacks):crazy: Got halfway through the book, very interesting read. Dealing with my anxiety issues, getting better be patient and working on aspects of myself and seeing growth. To anyone who has read the book, does it resonate with your beliefs? Do you think the attitude of the book is a little cold and callous? With all information that you want to use, you should always adapt it and modify it to your situation. So what did you get out of the book? Do you practice any of the principles?

Turuwal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I practice law 1 (never outshine the master) religiously at work. The one time I didn't I got fired.

I practice law 48 (assume formlessness) in every other aspect of my life, especially pickup. To me it means accepting that a lot of the time things don't go your way so don't worry too much about it. Girl rejects you? Don't get angry, just centre yourself, gather your thoughts, and move onto the next one!

The rest of the book describes tactics to use within the overall framework of formlessness.

Regarding being manipulative, think of it this way. You don't have to carry a sword, but you should at least put on some armour. Many of the lessons I use only to defend against sociopaths and other peope who might be trying to use me.

TheSlasher

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have read it when I was 16. When I was younger, it made me sort of a swaggering sociopath out for power alone. However, now that I'm a bit older, I realized that the author really had the correct word for it: Amoral. It is not really about being callous and I don't see it as evil anymore. It is a tool that you use to get what you want out of life. This day, it even made me and my friend calmer persons, and very strategic when dealing with people. It is a great companion book for the author's other book, Mastery. His other books are also great.

Turuwal said:
The rest of the book describes tactics to use within the overall framework of formlessness.

Regarding being manipulative, think of it this way. You don't have to carry a sword, but you should at least put on some armour. Many of the lessons I use only to defend against sociopaths and other peope who might be trying to use me.
This input from Turuwal are also very invaluable.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mastery was great, once I am done with this book I will put up seduction

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It made me a narcissistic sociopath no doubt.

I follow it religiously

In the middle of mastery right now, it's really good you should check it out

Reaction score
Book should be a must read for any AFC and I recommend it over all PUA books, even The Game by Neil Strauss.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That is what I don't want to become is a sociopath, trying to transmute some of the things I am reading in the book

TheSlasher

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
PeasantPlayer said:
That is what I don't want to become is a sociopath, trying to transmute some of the things I am reading in the book
I thought I was the only one, but it seems that this book can really make you quite the sociopath, no?

RagingBalls

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The 48 Laws of Power is so good it saved me a lot on my electricity bill.
It applies on one's daily life.

My fave is never outshine the master, i used a high watts energy saving lamp on master's bedroom though but still it shines than my other rooms.

Kidding aside, yeah...i read it. Robert Greene reminds me of Machiavelli

MOTU

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As others have eluded, I think the laws are tools that can be used situationally rather than a lifestyle. There is no doubt that some of the comparisons to courtesan life are valid today. So the key for me anyway is learning when to obey the laws and when to transgress them.

But some are not so heavy - like creating a style for yourself, not being to much in circulation, planning, etc.

For some balance, why not read The Five Virtues of Socrates or Budhism Beyond Beliefs?

The_411

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I liked his other book the Art of Seduction a bit more. He does tow a cutthroat mentality so it's up to the invididual to apply their moral standards to what he's saying.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I was the only one, but it seems that this book can really make you quite the sociopath, no?
It can, maybe I should read the Buddhism book and get a different perspective

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to admit that i occupy inner conflictions though when it comes to the book and my life

some days i want to be cut throat and follow it relentlessly.

other days i feel like a sh*t head a-hole who is a negative entity in the universe.

I embody a dichotomy of good and evil in my soul.

anybody else feel this way?

I should really check out that buddhist book and maybe start spreading positivity, or else i better be prepared to be reincarnated into a sh*t fly

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
Yes. It is extremely cold and callous.

That said. So are people. This book is very valuable. I've read it more than once this is a great resource.

Study it. Use it proactively and to protect yourself.

Everything in that book people do naturally. But this is just most aspects laid out and explained with many examples.

Reaction score
Born_Again said:
Can anyone recommend other books like it?
That is what makes the book so amazing, there are not many others like it. You do have the 50th law but that is about it. 48 Laws of Power was based off of The Prince by Machiavelli which is also a pretty decent read.

narcissist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Born_Again said:
Can anyone recommend other books like it?

the art of worldly wisdom by baltasar gracian.

I would say 15-20 laws from the 48 laws of power are directly influenced by this 17th century book.