48 Laws Of Power & The Art Of Seduction

white sox bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
Hey I know I havent posted in a while my life has been a little hectic. Im actually goin on vacation for about a month to europe but I can definitely start after i get back. I know u all wanted to start March 1st.. maybe if we wait a little longer and bump up the thread we can get some more involved. I apologize for this but when i come back im going to have a lot better presepctive.

April 1st?

Reaction score
My God, you are guys are like a bunch of women. You've been talking about when to start this for months. How about someone reads the god damn books, posts their thoughts on the first chapter, and then people can join in the discussion when they have time to. For fcuk sake. If a youngster like me has to come in here and tell you grown men what's what, you have bigger problems than seduction.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of the questions asked to Robert Greene in an interview.

Sonshi.com: A criticism of your books is the ideas you propose are "without scruples." Amoral is perhaps a better description. What is your response to these critics?

Greene: Well, I use the word amoral to describe them, as opposed to immoral. I try to look at the various subjects (power, seduction and war) with as dispassionate an eye as possible. This is human nature, I say, and this is how it operates in conflict, or when it is threatened, etc. Sometimes we humans do things that are bad, in order to get power—we hurt others. Sometimes we get power in ways that are not at all harmful. Here is the full panoply of stratagems, manipulations, maneuvers. You can look at them and decide for yourself—"this is too evil for me, but I am glad I know about it." A lot of the book is deliberately defensive, in the sense that it arms you with knowledge, so that you can understand the manipulations of those around you.

For instance, in Hollywood, I was a frequent victim of Law #7: Get others to do the work for you but always take the credit. Half the reason I wrote this chapter was to make people more aware of how this could happen to them and to take defensive measures. I get a lot of feedback from people who have told me how much the book has helped them in this way. They would never use some of the harsher strategies I talk about, but they are very glad to know the games others are playing on them.

I treat readers as adults. Instead of preaching to them about what they should or should not do, I lay it out for them, and I let them decide what is useful and what is not. I cannot deny there are people out there who might use these ideas for bad purposes, but what are you going to do? I think it is better to reveal the power game in all of its amoral reality and let happen what happens.

I also make the point, in the WAR book (and also in POWER) that power has traditionally been something reserved for elites. Elites have always objected to knowledge being given to the masses. Military strategy is the most elite form of knowledge that there is. Soldiers were taught tactics. It was too dangerous to allow them to get their hands on books on strategy. They could use this valuable information to foment revolution. People still think the same way, but for different reasons. I want a level playing field and everyone to be armed with the art of war.

My books have been very popular in the African-American community. They appreciate knowing how people have used power in the past, often against them. They want to know how the game is played, in as realistic a fashion as possible. They want the truth. I find those who rail against my books often have a lot of personal issues, and are generally people who can be classified as quite manipulative, in the passive aggressive mode.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"I wrote this chapter was to make people more aware of how this could happen to them and to take defensive measures. I get a lot of feedback from people who have told me how much the book has helped them in this way. They would never use some of the harsher strategies I talk about, but they are very glad to know the games others are playing on them."

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How about May 1st. We'll make it a stern date. I will continue to bump this thread up until then and collect the attendance. Then we will start a new thread.

Latinoman: Thanks for the Robert Greene comments. Its obvious he is trying to justify his writings. How do u feel about his explanations latino?

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm reading Art of Seduction at the moment, I'll be back when this thread gets rolling.

Scought

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How about July 4, 2010?

Seriously, has anyone began reading either AOS or LOP?

Why are we always 'waiting' to discuss things?

rakishness

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Should I buy the 33 strategies book? I loved the 48 laws so much...I'm thinking about it.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i havent read the thread, but ive read 75% of laws of power, 50% of art of seduction and 36.5479% of 33 strategies of war.

AOS sucks. If you want to lean how to seduce a countess in 1649 then go ahead and read it. Try applying these long and drawn-out schemes to a girl in an NYC bar. Im angry at myself for wasting money on this junk. I shouldve spent it on protein.

the only sections i enjoyed were the sections on types of people you can seduce, characteristics of anti-seductive people, essence of charm and charisma, etc. But even these chapters were filled with nonsense and extremely vague ideas that require an absurd amount of time and effort, like staging carnivals and sh_t

48 laws of power is great, though again not entirely practical. In our fast-paced society many of the examples just dont translate, though its still a great read. good examples on how to carry yourself, not talking too much, sizing up your environment, not being cheap, playing dumb, not bragging, etc.

33 srtategies of war was amazing for the first few chapters, very motivational and great at changing your outlook on life. some of the strategies ive read work in many instances, especially dirty warfare, but some of the strategies suffer from the same problems as the other two books - impracticality.

If you read anything, read the first 1/5 or so of '33 strategies of war', the sections of mentality and and internal warfare, its absolutely amazing.

rakishness

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
THANX. I plan on buying it tomorrow.

I just found an interview with Robert Greene. I love this quote. And I think all of us can relate to this.

"TM: So your favorite is Napoleon--what puts him above the others?

RG: He had this period of ten years, 1796 - 1806, where he was involved in almost constant warfare, one campaign after another, and he won them all. And this for a man who was young, and relatively inexperienced as a leader. An unprecedented ten years in warfare, but he not only defeated the opposition, he absolutely obliterated and annihilated them and not because of superior technology or numbers, but because of superior strategy. What was great about Napoleon was that he had a feel for war so he could be in the midst of a very chaotic battle where something went wrong, where everything went wrong, and if you know warfare at that period, it was incredibly chaotic and unpredictable. He would never lose his cool, he had an incredible presence of mind and he was able to think in the moment. His philosophy in life, one I ascribe to, was to say that nothing that happens is bad, or worth despairing. Everything that seems bad contains the seed of the opposite, an opportunity, a turnaround. He was the supreme opportunist. So in a battle like Austerlitz, which is probably the greatest battle of his career and my favorite, everything went wrong, and it looked like he was going to be crushed--he was surrounded, he was in the worst possible position. And he turned that into his greatest victory ever by playing upon his opponent's arrogance and over confidence. I think that's genius, to never lose your cool, because things are always going to go bad or wrong and anybody would wilt under that pressure and this man, Napoleon, not only did not wilt, he was at his best."

Those words are very inspiring. I can link the whole interview if any of you guys want?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok May 1st approaching soon. Here is the current roster for the study. Anyone else who wants in please reply to this thread. We will create a seperate thread for the study.

Jayer (me)
White Sox Bill
Microphone Fiend
Black Jackal
Latinoman
SkillzthatKillz
LegendBoy
seagull

DA KID

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm down I have both books my semester finishes april 30th so I'll have time to hit the books

white sox bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
Ok May 1st approaching soon. Here is the current roster for the study. Anyone else who wants in please reply to this thread. We will create a seperate thread for the study.

Jayer (me)
White Sox Bill
Microphone Fiend
Black Jackal
Latinoman
SkillzthatKillz
LegendBoy
seagull
How 'bout roll call this weekend?

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've finished reading the book now, so am ready to discuss opinion on it.