Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

3-second rule is a flaw

Awkward

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I think that the 3 second rule is quite established here and for most of us it is a very good rule to follow. There however times when it is not appropriate to use, like when you really don't have any clue on how to approach.

Let me talk a little about the 3 second rule:

The 3 second rule was formed to stop the mind from thinking negative, it was formed to cover up a negative trait that almost all men face. Imagine yourself instead when you don't feel this way about approaching women, that you are comfortable with it and doesn't need to rely on this rule, you would perhaps be able to scan a woman for more info before going in for the kill or maybe you want to let her get seated in the coffe shop before you approach her. Wouldn't it be good being able to wait a little and don't feel any anxiety?

Well, so do I think.

My point is that you should deminish the real problem instead of trying to hide it. Just blindly approaching may be good, but the rate you are being shot down will be higher than if you scan a little first. And if you have to run her up in the streets, it can be really hard on your confidence.

But how do you get past this negative feeling then?

Well, when we are doing pick-ups we often have the wrong mentallity. The wrong mental pictures. We imagine us being rejected, perhaps how we should please her and other really WRONG mental pictures. When I do pick-ups I force myself to remember another state of mind, in my case, fascination over something unknown and ultimate joy, and every time I see a chick I wish to approach I think this way and by doing that I establish a new standard state of mind when doing pick-ups. It comes natural to me!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to get rid of this flaw for ever? Just by changing the way you think?

--- Awkward

[This message has been edited by Awkward (edited 11-11-2002).]

Lost

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to say something about your post. Of course it would be good to be able to take a few extra seconds to make sure you do a great approach.. but especially for newbs.. this is the wrong mindset. If you go in thinking you need to do well and need to get the #, you will be too scared or **** up. At first newbs should just use the 3s rule and not worry about getting a #.. if the convo DOES go well then they can go for it.. but dont set your mind on it.

Awkward

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, I think you have gotten the entire post wrong. There is no demand on doing well written anywhere in it, and personally I think it is good to be shot down sometimes. It gives you feedback. And second, if you think this way, then you don't need to worry about anything.

Hey, why are everyone so obsessed with getting the #? I don't get it, it is meant to be fun to do pick-ups... the goal is not to get the #, the goal is to make the girl feel things inside so she GIVES the number when you do a challenge against her.
Just going for numbers will lead to more nexted girls than necessary. Every person doing pick-ups should focus on how she feel and get a connection.

I see your point and I think that for newbies it is the BEST mindset to have. Maybe not the most useful though. 3s should only be used in the beggining and later when you have done some pick-ups, you should try to get rid of this rule.

--- Awkward

nautica34342

Don Juan
Reaction score
good post i think your right about the
3 second rule in some situations but when
your in college most the parties ive been to have been more guys than girls which meens
you cant hesitate or right when your thinking about it someone else will go for her. AT clubs also you should use the 3 second rule

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Awkward:
The 3 second rule was formed to stop the mind from thinking negative, it was formed to cover up a negative trait that almost all men face.
Sorry but this is just plain wrong. The 3 second rule is about showing a woman you are confident with an air of spontaneity. The common myth seems to be that this 3 seconds starts when you first see her. This is wrong. Your 3 seconds start when you first catch her eye. She notices you, meets your eyes and you respond by immediately walking over to her and starting up a conversation. You SHOW confidence, you SHOW spontaneity, which she will notice and which will create a good foundation upon which you build your approach.

This aspect you are talking about, Awkward, where you avoid thinking too much, is just a side benefit of the 3 second rule.

------------------
"Step aside everyone! Sensitive love letters are my specialty. 'Dear Baby, Welcome to Dumpsville. Population: you.'" - Homer J. Simpson

"The past does not equal the future" - Anthony Robbins

StuartScott x 2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's funny b/c I rarely ever use the 3 second rule and do a lot of PU's. Usually with me I see a woman, gather my thoughts then approach. When I say "gather my thoughts," I'm thinking to myself, like the first 3 or so questions or something that catches my eye that I can talk about when I see her. This may take 3 seconds or may take 10-20 seconds, but I always have a plan when I approach.

Like for example I was at a car repair shop waiting for my car to be fixed. Some woman came in and sat down. It took me like 20 seconds to gather my thoughts before I said something to her and the convo went smoothly, but during this time I wasn't just staring at her like a chump. I also know I had time b/c it was gonna take a while before my car or her car would have been fixed.

Medallion

Don Juan
Reaction score
I find that if I don't approach w/in 3 secs, im too likely to chicken out.

And I havent said anything too stupid yet.

I think 3 sec rule is gospel.

------------------
Nice guys finish last. You're running out of gas. Your sympathy will get you left behind.
~Green Day~

Just be yourself...your IMPROVED self

I'm a disturb the peace...you can fall in love
--Ludacris

When girls compete, you win!

AIM-gflash4001
gflash4001@hotmail.com
Location-Rehoboth, MA

Awkward

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Naut.....

Parties are according to me, the worst place to meet girls, they are drunk, hard competition and they have their guards up.

Wolf in she...

If she's a beauty and you don't know what to say, you are goint to be shot down, no matter what. I'm talking about studiyng her, and see what may be special to her. 3s rule is something to cover up a flaw which every man should try to get rid off, not cover up.

Stuartscott

Hey, that's exactly what I mean, I think that the 3s rule is giving more results in the imagnation than in real life.

Medallion

Yeeh, that's why you should do something about the feeling you get when you chicken out. When I used the 3s rule I lost some girls because it wasn't fit to approach because of the circomstances (spelling?) Now I approach when it seems fit, and when I have a good approach. It may take a second, ut may take a minute, but the general thing is that it most often go rather well.

--- Awkward

aurora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The 3 second rule is just an excercise to build confidence over time. Whether it works each time it is used is irrelevent. Just like approaching as many women as possible with the idea of getting many rejections to the point that you lose the fear of approaching women.