Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

27 and baffled at what to do with my life

Jesus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short and sweet. Almost posted this in the MM forum, what with my being past the teens/early 20s age bracket affecting my situation somewhat. Or maybe it doesn't. I dunno. But I'm at a total loss as far as what I want to do with my life. I work a crappy cubicle-dwelling job I've had for a few years making just enough to scrape by, and I hate it.

The thing is, I've never really had a deep interest in or passion for anything in particular, so I have nothing to springboard off of. I have BA from a good school, but it's a bullsh*t subject that I really want nothing to do with. Nothing in college interested me because I just didn't care back then and had none of the intellectual curiosity that I have now. Too late for that, I guess.

There's been the occasional subject I've had sort of a superficial interest in over the years (pretty much all artsy or at least creativity-oriented), but they're all fields that are so far removed from anything I've ever done and would require completely starting from scratch, which just feels unrealistic at this point. The only real talent I've ever had was music, but it's been so long since I've done anything with it, and I was never passionate about it back then. I'd be pretty rusty now, and honestly I can't think of any music-related careers I'd be interested in or would be good at. I did a bit of career counseling back towards the end of college but nothing ever came of it. Just multiple choice tests giving me lists of careers suited to my personality (introverted), none of which came close to exciting me enough to look into further or pursue.

I'd go to grad school, but for what? I don't think it's wise to invest the time, energy and money into something like grad school unless it's for an area of study I enjoy or know I'll want to pursue as a career. Whatever I do, I'd want it to provide or at least leave room for some fun in my life, as I haven't exactly had an abundance of that over the years.

I'm not really asking for ideas on what careers I should look into, obviously. Just advice as to what's the best course of action for someone in my situation. Anyone go through something similar and come out of it with a lucrative career they enjoy? Any good books/literature on the subject that I should read? Any Tony Robbins tapes I should get? (j/k.....sort of) It's getting to the point where I really should be making some real money, but that's hard enough as it is, and I'm trying to figure out not only how to do that but combine it with something that will give me some fulfillment and enjoyment out of life. Freaking out over the big 3 0 being less than two and a half years away isn't helping.

cliff notes: i dunnoz wut to do, help

(eh, so much for short and sweet)

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ask yourself what you always want to do when you were a kid and lets say all your financial issues are completely taken care of. What would you do after that.

Do that!

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
work a crappy cubicle-dwelling job I've had for a few years making just enough to scrape by, and I hate it.
Sounds like me a few months ago. I was a bit clueless as to where I wanted to go. I wanted something with more pay, lower stress, and something that could possibly save me some money. I decided I wanted a job where I got a company vehicle, and I got one. I now do service calls. My gas is paid for, I get tips doing idiot work (tightening bolts and things) and it's fun. My office is my van, I can play music as loud as I want, and if a 'customer' gives me a hard time, I can just walk out on them. Oh yeah, and the hours are great. If I eat while I drive, I get to go home early.

My stress is gone, I get to see the sun during the day, and I have extra money to play with. Doing a career change was the best thing I ever did.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
Sounds like me a few months ago. I was a bit clueless as to where I wanted to go. I wanted something with more pay, lower stress, and something that could possibly save me some money. I decided I wanted a job where I got a company vehicle, and I got one. I now do service calls. My gas is paid for, I get tips doing idiot work (tightening bolts and things) and it's fun. My office is my van, I can play music as loud as I want, and if a 'customer' gives me a hard time, I can just walk out on them. Oh yeah, and the hours are great. If I eat while I drive, I get to go home early.

My stress is gone, I get to see the sun during the day, and I have extra money to play with. Doing a career change was the best thing I ever did.
what do you do? are in in the HVAC industry or something?

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jesus, this is a direct result of you not doing this back before you found your self stuck in this rut, dude.

But you know what? A lot of us did not get the guidance we needed back then.
But now you're suffering because of a lack of farsightedness and not being prepared for the future, and even having to fight to get what you want.

This is actually an extremely common scenario.

What do I do in my life??

Youre the ONLY one who can decide.

But also, if NOW is this time your questions and lack of satisfaction in life are really 'waking' you up, then now is the time to heed them.

Youre really going to have to do some soul searching and find out what brings you joy.
I mean youre just going to have to. Otherwise you WILL be stuck in this rut for much longer than you can imagine.
DO things now that you can with relatively low pressure and ease.

Act NOW.

Use this time.
Use your intellect and wisdom NOW.

Think about WHAT gives you goose bumps just thinking about.
WHAT would make you jump out of bed in the morning to go do??

What is it that you can truly feel at peace doing each and every day?

It will take several stages to get to where you're clear about what you finally want.
But it has to be done.

Good luck.

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 30, I started reading everything at about age 22/23/24. Tony Robbins, down the list to finance/investing, marketing. Like 100-150 books on many subjects.

What they teach in school is garbage/pre corporate brainwashing. School is basically an indoctrination into making nothing and scraping by in life.

Career counseling, none of that stuff worked. I dont trust anything that comes from school, everything is too drone like and either or. Like, labeling people introverts...when they could learn game, or a site like this, or be better socially. Not saying, everyone could become a social butterfly, but there are many resources like this site that can change your life, that you'd never know about in school.

There are many subjects you may find interesting or fulfilling, but it takes exposure.

trd323

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was in your situation, but I found out that you need to find something that pays you well(might not like it), but then once you have saved up enough and have other options on choosing a path then thats when you can do something you really like. I for one is going into the medical field as a respiratory therapist, it will only take me 1 year and once out I can make 30 bucks an hour @12 hours a day for 3 days, then get another part time job for 2 days @ 12 hours, that equates to about $1800.00 a week. or if you want to you can work 3 days and be off for 4 and still make about $1100 a week. NOT BAD at all for 1 year schooling.

another option for medical field since you have a BA is physical therapist, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant and all those jobs make well over $100 grand a year.