Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

2006 World Cup Finals

Who will win the 2006 World Cup - Soccer

• England

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Brazil

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • France

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Italy

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Holland

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Portugal

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Argentina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greece

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Germany

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: US football

Originally posted by Bonhomme
Talking 'bout real football here. What we call "football" here doesn't fit the term so well, truth to be told.

The sport may not be as big as other sports in the US, but we've got a hell of a population advantage over most other nations, so as more of us Yanks play the game, we're bound to become more and more competitive. It's just in the numbers.

I'd have to favor Brazil on talent, but Germany gets my pick on account of the home court advantage. Still, when there are so few goals anybody can make a quick exit ...
I wouldn't pick Germany to top a group of two paper bags and an empty pint glass. No offense, Germany. :D

England to win it all, the USA in 12 years.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr.Style
World football doesn't revolve around Italy I hate to tell you. I just don't like the fact you disrespected my country. I urge you to check out Group 4's table. We are in a tough group with Switzerland and France and guess who is top? That's right - Ireland! We went to Paris and came away with a 0-0 score and had chances to win. That's nothing to laugh at.

We also haven't lost a competitive World Cup qualifying match at home since 1993 and in order to get to the 2002 World Cup we had to beat Holland 1-0 at home which was not easy.

There is every chance that we can qualify automatically and force France into a play-off. Are you telling me that's easy? And let's not forget it was the small nation of Greece that won Euro 2004 so it's not impossible that we could win the World Cup if all our players are there, especially Roy Keane.

By the way Jay-X, are you aware that on August 17, Ireland will be playing a friendly against Italy in Dublin? That should be very interesting.:D
hehe, you are turnin around my words, it was you that said that since ireland defeated italy in 1994, they could win the world cup in 2006. mine was obviously a joke.
you put forward the greek example, but you have to keep in mind that greece:

1. had loooooots of luck in 2004
2. it had some very good players, as charisteas and karagounis (the ireland only has keane as a world class player, and he's even not in the top 20)
3. most importantly, in euro2004 there weren't teams as brazil, argentina, but also senegal and usa

euro tournaments are far different than world ones. if you think about it, european winners are really often teams that nobody thought they could win. now, think about world cups, they are always won by teams who weren't underdogs... who has won the last 5 world cups? argentina, germany, brazil, france, brazil
who won the european cups? holland, denmark, germany, france and greece... just france and germany were supposed to win at the beginning of the cup

Mr.Style

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay-X
but you have to keep in mind that greece:

2. it had some very good players, as charisteas and karagounis (the ireland only has keane as a world class player, and he's even not in the top 20)
3. most importantly, in euro2004 there weren't teams as brazil, argentina, but also senegal and usa
1. Greece had some luck but the important thing is that they played with heart and passion as many small countries do.
2. I would say Keane is certainly in the top 20 of the world. When Man Utd played Arsenal in the Premiership, he played Vieira off the pitch and many would rank Vieira in the top 20. Also, you say he is our only world class player but what about Damien Duff? He was a big part in helping Chelsea win the Premier League and Johann Cruyff said he would love to see him at Barcelona. He also scored a crucial goal in the Champions League agaisnt Barca.
3. You make a good point about Brazil and Argentina but don't you think the European qualifying groups are far tougher anyway and that European teams who get to the World Cup have to be good in some way?

Originally posted by Jay-X euro tournaments are far different than world ones. if you think about it, european winners are really often teams that nobody thought they could win. now, think about world cups, they are always won by teams who weren't underdogs... who has won the last 5 world cups? argentina, germany, brazil, france, brazil
who won the european cups? holland, denmark, germany, france and greece... just france and germany were supposed to win at the beginning of the cup
You make a fair point but something you must acknowledge is that European countries don't do well when the contest is held outside of Europe. I think I'm right in saying that no European country has ever won the World Cup when it's been hed outside of Europe. When Brazil won in 2002, it was held in Korea and Japan, when they won in 94, it was held in America. France won in 1998 and it was in France and Germany won in 1990 and it was in Italy.

The point I'm making is that European countries tend to do better when the contest is in Europe and not in a really hot and humid environment. That's why I think a European country will win in 2006 and I think if we do indeed qualify, we have just as good a chance as any team...

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I reckon Azerbaijan has a pretty good chance of winning.

naoi deag se deag

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hehe, you are turnin around my words, it was you that said that since ireland defeated italy in 1994, they could win the world cup in 2006. mine was obviously a joke.
you put forward the greek example, but you have to keep in mind that greece:

euro tournaments are far different than world ones. if you think about it, european winners are really often teams that nobody thought they could win. now, think about world cups, they are always won by teams who weren't underdogs... who has won the last 5 world cups? argentina, germany, brazil, france, brazil
Whoa, whoa, wait. Roy Keane isn't one of the top 20 players in the world, but Charisteas and Karagounis are? Ha.

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Robbie Keane's not a world-class player either? He's the top scorer in Irish history.

Mr.Style

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by doctoroxygen
Robbie Keane's not a world-class player either? He's the top scorer in Irish history.
Yeah wasn't Keane, along with Ronaldo, the only player to put the ball in the net past Oliver Kahn in the 2002 World Cup? That's not a bad thing to have on your CV. :)

Jerry Maguire

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Erm, I don't see any option for Scotland? :z

Seriously, I want Italy to win, but Argentina have a good chance too.

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i can't get whether you are joking or you are serious, but do you really think that someone could vote for ireland as the most likely team to win?!?!?!
Nope, im totally serious.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by silverwex
Nope, im totally serious.

let's put it this way: if 2006 world cup is won by Ireland, I solemnly promise that i will run around town with my pants and underwear down to my ankles, screaming "go Irish go!". i'm completely serious, I will do it

doctoroxygen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money on Ireland, but I also wouldn't put any money on Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, England, Spain, or Portugal.

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: US football

Originally posted by doctoroxygen
I wouldn't pick Germany to top a group of two paper bags and an empty pint glass. No offense, Germany. :D

England to win it all, the USA in 12 years.
lol hater! but i would be pissed off too if i could only win world championship with fake wembley goal!

Mr.Style

Don Juan
Reaction score
let's put it this way: if 2006 world cup is won by Ireland, I solemnly promise that i will run around town with my pants and underwear down to my ankles, screaming "go Irish go!". i'm completely serious, I will do it
Hey Italy are coming to Ireland in August for a friendly. What will you do if you get beaten then? Will that change your mind?

Dublinsfinest

Don Juan
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with patriotism, but lets be serious.

Ireland are sh*t.

We can't even beat Israel these days and I can't see ireland qualifying for the world cup myself and we have an absolute ZERO chance of winning it.

Ireland may be top of the qualifying group but switzerland and france have a game in hand and israel are only 2 points behind.

Ireland hardly ever even qualify for the major tournaments anyway, to say they will win the world cup is like saying Wigan Athletics will win the premiership.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr.Style
Hey Italy are coming to Ireland in August for a friendly. What will you do if you get beaten then? Will that change your mind?
not at all. slovenia has been capable to beat us last 2 times we played against us and a year and a half ago polonia defeated us. sh1t, even iceland won 2 - 0 against us.
our coach, mr marcello lippi, always calls emerging players from minor teams when we play friendlies, he rarely lets stars (totti, cassano, buffon, cannavaro, nesta, zambrotta) play together in friendlies, so we'll have to wait for the official cup

silverwex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i wanna see that video first - should provide me with a laugh or two... :rolleyes:

Mr.Style

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dublinsfinest
There is nothing wrong with patriotism, but lets be serious.

Ireland are sh*t.

We can't even beat Israel these days and I can't see ireland qualifying for the world cup myself and we have an absolute ZERO chance of winning it.

Ireland may be top of the qualifying group but switzerland and france have a game in hand and israel are only 2 points behind.

Ireland hardly ever even qualify for the major tournaments anyway, to say they will win the world cup is like saying Wigan Athletics will win the premiership.
We tend to do well against the bigger teams though and we're strong at home. I think we can beat the French and Swiss at home. It's all about Keano!

Triangulo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Brasil all the way. Even though we always play ****ty during the qualifiers, we seem be able to " turn it on" when it really matters. Plus we won the Confederation Cup. I mean , we are 5x world champs. No team has four WC , never minda 5!! Brasil "hexacampeao"

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in all honesty, i'm pretty sure brazil will win in the end.

otherwise, other possible candidates to final win are italy and england.

other good teams are spain, portugal, france and argentina

beside these, i think no team has many possibilites to win