Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

100 Greatest Songs of the Modern Era

monster squad

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not really my thing. Also, a lack of Katatonia, who blow each and every band on that list clear out of the water, FTL.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Props for putting that all together, but that "modern era" rock is way too mellow for a guy like me. As far as rock goes, the mars volta owns all those rockers any day in creativity and delivery.

AllAmericanGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this list. Thank you for investing so much time into this, mad props! You did/do a great job.

Chipmonkey

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like to bump this up a bit. I was introduced to some of my favorite bands through this thread.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
The Modern Era?

Is this post Twilight era or when musicians actually played their instruments without Pro-Tools "tweaking" them?

I've tried to listen to this sh!t they call "music" and I don't find it emotional at all.

I grew up on Boston, The Doors, Zeppelin, Sabbath, .38 Special, Ricky Skaggs, Elvis Presley, Miles Davis, and Tool.

What the fvck is a Flyleaf? It's noise. You younger guys will say, "This old cat don't be knowin' what our generation be standing for." and you'd be half right.

I have a 16 year old daughter who's plugged into this generation's music. The difference between the music of Generation X and Generation A (for Apathy) is this: struggle.

The musicians I grew up admiring struggled to make it. They had to prove themselves to get studio time. They didn't have an iPad to record their noise.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's so little creativity in music today. Every decade dating back to the 40s had distinct breakthroughs and new styles, excluding 2000-2019, where music is just so bland and sterile. Everything these days is just formulaic and more about marketing than about the melody or musical merit.

My favourite era was the early 90s when you had underground musicians experimenting with new styles and getting airtime. You had so many forms of dance music, such as Drum and Bass, Techno. Trance, Eurodance and more, then you had rock styles like Grunge and Brit Pop emerging too. Sure, it had its share of mainstream crap, but there was enough variation to keep everyone happy and so many different music scenes going on whether you were a rocker, raver or even a teeny bopper.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

sambwoy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was born in '87 so I missed out the bulk of the '80s music that is now most thought of when someone says 'eighties'. People think Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet etc.

90s music that I grew up with I only liked for the nostalgia and memories they bring back, not as music, and I think music in the charts has been on a downward slope since 2000.

But in recent years my niche is funk and soul from the 80s and some that spilled over into the early 90s like New Jack Swing; Alexander O'Neal, Kool and the Gang, EW&F (okay they were 70s also) and even obscurer artists like Johnny Gill, Guy, Mint Condition... Some songs of this genre was bigger elsewhere, where most of it came from, but some were sizeable hits in the UK. For instance that group 'The Limit' from Holland IMO was one of the best and had many great songs but only 'Say Yeah' made it to the UK chart.

Interestingly in France recently, there has apparently been a resurgence of 80s-style funk.

Would some of this be liked today? A majority of the UK chart is r'n'b, but not the good kind. Not so many guitar bands it seems.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jariel said:
My favourite era was the early 90s when you had underground musicians experimenting with new styles and getting airtime. You had so many forms of dance music, such as Drum and Bass, Techno. Trance, Eurodance and more, then you had rock styles like Grunge and Brit Pop emerging too.
The late 80s to early 90s was such a high point in music. I could listen to a pop station and actually not mind it, hearing things like Roxette, Crash Test Dummies, Annie Lennox, and even Madonna didn't suck too badly back then. Rap music was fairly new, fresh, and fun, and it eventually split off into dance/techno. Rock music went through a huge transition when Nirvana made bands like Guns N' Roses extinct. Unfortunately, techno morphed and took over pop music, and Alternative/Grunge gave birth to a bunch of lame uncreative crap.

There are quite a few good bands out there now, but you really have to dig for them since you're not going to find them on mainstream radio. I've been enjoying the likes of Sonata Arctica, Lordi, and Nightwish to name a few. Some of the more classic bands are still putting out good albums like AC/DC, The Cars, and Iron Maiden. I've also been looking for bands that never made it truly big like The Replacements, The Candyskins, and Semisonic.

There's lots of great music out there to be discovered if you take the time to look for it.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Desdinova said:
There's lots of great music out there to be discovered if you take the time to look for it.
All I need to do is set my direction towards Maynard Keenan, Adam Jones, Justin Chancellor, and Danny Carey.

That's where you'll find progression and true genius in music. Anything from Tool is begging to shred your consciousness away from your "reality".

Listen to Volto, Puscifer, or A Perfect Circle for less transcendental music, but nonetheless emotional and thought-provoking.

Marvin Gaye

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Negative thoughts down the drain just relax, let t
Jariel said:
There's so little creativity in music today. Every decade dating back to the 40s had distinct breakthroughs and new styles, excluding 2000-2019, where music is just so bland and sterile. Everything these days is just formulaic and more about marketing than about the melody or musical merit.

My favourite era was the early 90s when you had underground musicians experimenting with new styles and getting airtime. You had so many forms of dance music, such as Drum and Bass, Techno. Trance, Eurodance and more, then you had rock styles like Grunge and Brit Pop emerging too. Sure, it had its share of mainstream crap, but there was enough variation to keep everyone happy and so many different music scenes going on whether you were a rocker, raver or even a teeny bopper.
Creative music is becoming distinctly harder to find, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Green Day's American Idiot was a total throwback to rock operas of the past; Tommy, Sgt. Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon etc.....

Music has to be about marketing if it wants to compete with other music; also yeah there's a lot of electronics going on, doesn't mean it bad--it's pretty similar to the 80's if you ask me, in the same way that 70's music was a throwback to the fifties

Also I'm a 90's kid too :D I grew up on Nirvana, even though they weren't around before I was old enough to remember