Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Working for Home Depot or Lowe's

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I would do is look at everything being sold in your section, and think how you would use/install it. If you can't come up with anything, then make a note of it, and when you're back home, do a Google search that gives you the general idea. The idea of going with the customer to the "how-to book" section is great since not only will you be giving what the customer needs to figure out what to do, but you'll learn it as well, making you that much more knowledgeable in the future.

I like to go to my local independent hardware store whenever possible as they have folks who know how to use what they sell.
I have been there two shift already and nobody told me anything about a "how-to-book" section.

Billtx49

Reaction score
I have been there two shift already and nobody told me anything about a "how-to-book" section.
‘Home Improvement 1-2-3’ from Home Depot available on Amazon one day ship. Lowes published a book also.
Google for the quality books, memorize the titles and where to buy. You Will get questions thrown at you when dealing with the public, try to have some kind of answers ready beforehand .
You may even want to buy a book to educate yourself so you will know what you’re trying to sell…

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
‘Home Improvement 1-2-3’ from Home Depot available on Amazon one day ship. Lowes published a book also.
Google for the quality books, memorize the titles and where to buy. You Will get questions thrown at you when dealing with the public, try to have some kind of answers ready beforehand .
You may even want to buy a book to educate yourself so you will know what you’re trying to sell…

Thanks for all who responded.

Anyhow, I already have a decent cushy career.

I only took this seasonal job to make some extra cash and learn some new things since I'm a first time homeowner.

I give myself credit for stepping outside my comfort zone and working at a large intimidating place like Home Depot. Well, it's intimidating when you are in your 40s and have very little exposure to home improvement projects and tools.

Stepping outside ones comfort zone builds confidence and will help you to continue stepping outside your comfort zone.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I give myself credit for stepping outside my comfort zone and working at a large intimidating place like Home Depot. Well, it's intimidating when you are in your 40s and have very little exposure to home improvement projects and tools.

Stepping outside ones comfort zone builds confidence and will help you to continue stepping outside your comfort zone.
Necessity is the mother of invention. With the price of a handyman, plumber, etc. so high - at least much higher after-tax than then for my old regular wagecuck job - I look to do everything myself, and only demur if it requires me to get on the roof or under the car trestles, or it requires plumbing-grade soldering, or it's just a royal PITA like when my hot water PVC pipe busted under my house (it froze up, LOL, but the cold water line was fine). I've replace wallboard, installed new toilet mechanisms, cleaned out clogged pipes, cut tree branches (via a 6-foot extension-pole chain saw), repaired soffit & fascia, spliced electric lines that had somehow broke (mice?), plugged gaps with foam. I've replaced an alternator before - although it's such a PITA on my current ride, a VW, that I think I would pay someone to do that - but replacing burnt out lamps, spark plugs or coil packs is cake. I've cleaned out window A/C units and have added coolant both to home & auto AC units. I've cleaned out an open-flame home heater. I've cleaned the metal parts on, and plan to tune, my piano. I once shimmed a door hinge for a plate because she had so many shoes hanging on it that the bottom was dragging on the floor, and the mechanic in me couldn't stand it. Oh, and then I have the hobby of working on pinball machines. :cool:

And everything can be learned on YouTube because for no matter what job you are looking to do, someone has made a video about how to do it.