Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

women prefer smaller men (article)

white_hype

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TUESDAY, April 20 (HealthDayNews) -- When young women look for long-term mates, they really do prefer Ray Romano-types over the Brad Pitts and Arnold Schwarzeneggers of the world.

While they're attracted to muscular men for quick flings, female college students surveyed at two campuses said they'd choose scrawnier guys as spouses, according to new research.

While the women surveyed tend to think of muscular men as more attractive and better in bed, they also think of them as "less faithful, less likely to treat them well and be less emotionally sensitive," said study co-author David Frederick, a psychology graduate student at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Advertisement

"When women are choosing mates -- except for very attractive women -- they're facing a tradeoff of choosing a guy who's very sexy or one who will stick around and treat them well," he added.

Frederick and a colleague surveyed 325 college-age women about their preferred male physiques, and measured their reactions after they looked at pictures of real and computer-generated men. The men were of various levels of muscular fitness.

Frederick reported the results April 17 at a meeting of the western region of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality in San Diego.

On a scale of 1 to 5, the women rated the average male at just below 3. The average rating for their ideal "short-term" partner was about 4.5; it was 4 for "long-term" partners. The women rated muscular men as nearly twice as sexy -- and twice as intimidating and dominant -- as non-muscular men.

"Based on the theory we're working under, most women wouldn't choose to marry Brad Pitt because he has so many short-term dating opportunities," Frederick said.

Most women wouldn't be confident that such a hunk would stay faithful. "The average woman would probably go for the Ray Romano guy as the long-term marriage partner," Frederick said.

And what of the most spectacularly built men, those who remind people of the new governor of California? Judging by the study results, they may be out of luck. Women reported an "ickiness factor" when they looked at the most muscular men, Frederick said.

"Women really associated the extreme levels of muscularity with high levels of narcissism and self involvement," he said.

The exceptions to the rules are extremely attractive women who tend to be willing to take the risk of marrying well-built men. (That may explain why Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt are an item, and why the marriage of Billy Joel and supermodel Christie Brinkley didn't last.)

Gordon G. Gallup Jr., a professor of psychology at the State University of New York at Albany, said the findings might reflect human habits developed through evolution. When females pick mates, they may be looking for men who are more likely to "invest in the family and their offspring and make a long-term, committed investment in the relationship," said Gallup, who formerly taught Frederick.

By contrast, women looking for partners may view muscular men "as more likely to play the field and less likely to make commitments," Gallup said.

http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=518456

WOW

just another example of how women have no idea what's going on

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
what the.....?

And what does "muscular" define? Being burly construction-worker, military-type or a body builder?? Personally, I dont think that a more muscular man would cheat on me. And i wouldnt want a "scrawny" guy either....btw, what does this article mean by "scrawny"? I mean, ew. Yeah, extreme body-builders are icky but not burly, or men who have muscles or are defined and physically fit.

those women dont know what theyre talkin about. psht.

Spiter

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with the article. Women want well-rounded, physically attractive, self-confident leaders when it comes to men. They dream of Brad Pitt but if dating him would be wondering how can he possibly love me.

And I thought it was surprising when I found out women aren't attracted to muscles as much. The average girl wants someone that's stronger than them, not a wuss, but doesn't work out 5 times a week every week of their life either. Found that out from living in a house with four of us that worked out a lot. Showing concern for your body is good, but being obsessive about it is perceived as self-centered and icky.

white_hype

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i find this article to be somewhat true.. and affects me greatly since i LOVE bodybuilding (i do it for myself not for chicks) and am VERY narsacistic... which pretty much has to be true if you are a dedicated bodybuilder b/c once you put all the time/effort into your body you become very proud of yourself and have a greater sense of self wroth, why wouldnt you?

roided up guys/pro bodybuilders and the overly bulky look is viewed as disgusting by a good majorty of women, that is obvious

but i think girls do like the brad pitt look (hes not that big at all, just cut and seems big in relation to the other people on the screen) and their insecurities are speaking when they say they wouldnt want to marry him... of course they woould want someone who takes care of their body/looks good doing it and they would prlly just be worried a little in the relationship but as time passes she wont care

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
Originally posted by Spiter
I agree with the article. Women want well-rounded, physically attractive, self-confident leaders when it comes to men.
I didnt get that from the article. Ray Romano-type, the more scrawny type to me isnt well-rounded, physically attractive and a self-confident leader.

Besides, if women dont really know what they want, how the hell are men gonna know what they want?

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LuvMyArmyMan
...Besides, if women dont really know what they want, how the hell are men gonna know what they want?
lol, too funny, but true

that article is BS... women love a guy who is in great shape... that would be like guys saying they wouldn't like their girlfriend to look like Pamela Anderson because she might cheat on me... lol, give me a break.

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
The women rated muscular men as nearly twice as sexy -- and twice as intimidating and dominant -- as non-muscular men.
This is the most revealing statement right here: the women are too intimidated by the men. It's not the men that are nessisarily unfaithful or whatnot; it's the woman's lack of self-esteem that is keeping her from wanting to settle down with the macho man.

ShortTimer

Banned
Reaction score
In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of l
Originally posted by white_hype
i find this article to be somewhat true.. and affects me greatly since i LOVE bodybuilding (i do it for myself not for chicks) and am VERY narsacistic... which pretty much has to be true if you are a dedicated bodybuilder b/c once you put all the time/effort into your body you become very proud of yourself and have a greater sense of self wroth, why wouldnt you?
But is that really narsacism you're talking about, or just a healthy self-image?

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess this makes sense. Try switching positions.

Would u rather marry this smokin girl with a thick booty

or

a good female friend who has proven times over and over again her generosity, but more a HB7.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh, when I first read the title I thought it meant something thing completely different. Oh well I'm still enough for the ladies.

As for the actual articles the impression that I kept getting is that the bigger more muscular guys are the types she would date and have frequent sex with. While the smaller guys (me) are the type she would marry :rolleyes:

In other words I need to grow 6 inches (in height) :p

Crank_It_Up

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love
I guess this makes sense. Try switching positions.

Would u rather marry this smokin girl with a thick booty

or

a good female friend who has proven times over and over again her generosity, but more a HB7.
to me it's the total package... looks is only part of it... although superiority in one category can help overcome the shortcomings in another.

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Originally posted by white_hype
While the women surveyed tend to think of muscular men as more attractive and better in bed, they also think of them as "less faithful, less likely to treat them well and be less emotionally sensitive," said study co-author David Frederick, a psychology graduate student at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Advertisement
TRANSLATION: They think scrawnier men will be easier to make their b!tch-slave who'll work a 60 hour week to buy them big houses and SUVs and jewelry and meekly take any sh!t she can dish out...while she's still riding the studly pool-boy when he's away. :D

Women reported an "ickiness factor" when they looked at the most muscular men, Frederick said.

"Women really associated the extreme levels of muscularity with high levels of narcissism and self involvement," he said.
This much I believe. Narcissism is a turn-off from either gender and a lot of bodybuilders make a career out of loving themselves.

The exceptions to the rules are extremely attractive women who tend to be willing to take the risk of marrying well-built men. (That may explain why Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt are an item, and why the marriage of Billy Joel and supermodel Christie Brinkley didn't last.)

No, it couldn't have been related to compatible lifestyles or fun-factor or anything like that. :rolleyes: (BTW, isn't Billy Joel gay or something?)

Attractiveness of the partner certainly is a factor, though. So I guess I should burn off some of my muscle and flab up a little, otherwise I'll be restricted to "extremely attractive women" for choices of mates, and God forbid I marry an "extremely attractive woman." Oh God, that would be awful!! :D :rolleyes:

This is the biggest piece of sh!t-research, let alone sh!t-journalism, that I've seen in some time.

sharpshooter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
whoa. I know now for a fact why some women are intimidated by me, my sheer muscle mass.

This clears up a lot, I always had a feeling it was due to that, but now I know for sure.

S0LID

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my chubby friend says that to me cause I lift weights, he says they want something to grab onto pfft

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kineti[C]harm
it's proven biologically though squirrels :p
When squirrels fight - The dangers of bodybuilding amoung young squirrels. Part One

Vigilante7

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muscular = great body, more attrative -> know your worth

Scrawny = can get knockec over by the wind

E-Z Rider

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This may be true...but notice the disclaimer: "except very attractive women".