Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

why do some people look taller than they are?

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this is something i've been wondering about lately. sometimes i meet people that i think are around 5'11 or so and then i see they are like me or shorter (i'm 5'9)

i can't give you some examples referred to famous people:

1. james dean looks a lot taller than ben stiller, but they are the same height (5'8)

2. harrison ford looks a lot taller than leonardo di caprio, but they both are 6'0 even

3. robert de niro looks significantly taller than anthony hopkins, but the latter is a inch taller (de niro being 5'9 and hopkins being 5'10)

4. people as george clooney, sylvester stallone and humphrey bogart look around 5'11-6'0, but they are just 5'9

is it just a matter of body parts proportions or what else?

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because the people you mention are on tv and the tv producers dont want short people to look short unless you are starring as a hobbit in Lord of the Rings.

Jay-X

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skel
Because the people you mention are on tv and the tv producers dont want short people to look short unless you are starring as a hobbit in Lord of the Rings.
this can answer to the 4th point. but what about the other 3?

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know what you are saying though. I always thought the tv producers just made them look taller on televison to be more alpha male looking or something. Im just making a wild guess of course as im not a tv producer(or am I)

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the reason for this is probably bone size.

I mean obviously the big boned guy (ford) is going to "appear" taller than the small boned guy (dicaprio) regardless of their same heights. It's almost an illusion when you see that one is taller than the other, but the fact that bone structure creates the illusion.

I've met a lot of guys and girls who can be the same height, but their bone size also attributes to their overall size.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know a guy who is the same height as me, but he looks at least half a head taller. He's very confident, certain of himself, dresses very well (emphasises his height), etc.

So yes, I think it is possible to look taller than you are. Just don't be those short guys who talk really loud or anything.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A few things I think.

- Frame size / bone size

- posture, how you dress yourself, etc (how well you "wear" your height)

- Leg length can be a factor as well, I think. A 5'9 person with longer legs than another 5'9 person tends to look taller. I wish I had longer legs. :-/

- It's tv/the movies. Camera tricks and heightening shoes.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scrumtulescence

- Leg length can be a factor as well, I think. A 5'9 person with longer legs than another 5'9 person tends to look taller. I wish I had longer legs. :-/
It's funny you brought that up, there's been countless times i've seen girls with distorted bodies. short legs, but longer body from shoulder to hips

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScrewIt
It's funny you brought that up, there's been countless times i've seen girls with distorted bodies. short legs, but longer body from shoulder to hips
I'm a little bit like that. I'm convinced my shins are disproportionately short to the rest of my body, although it's not weird looking or anything. I'm just definitely not a long-legged guy, and my height suffers because of it (I'm 5'8).

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scrumtulescence
I'm a little bit like that. I'm convinced my shins are disproportionately short to the rest of my body, although it's not weird looking or anything. I'm just definitely not a long-legged guy, and my height suffers because of it (I'm 5'8).
How much do you weigh?

Body mass can also attribute to the illusion of being short , or what i'd like to call stubbiness. If fat people lost weight they could reclaim their height back

siph

Don Juan
Reaction score
men who are shorter film much better. they appear better balanced than tall men. tom cruise for instance. females on the other hand tend to film better if they are taller. they will even have the women walk in a ditch off screen to ensure the heigh ratios match up.

as far as people appearing taller, it has a lot to do with posture. it also has to do with how you dress, as it will affect how big boned you appear and how broad your shoulder are