Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Why did Japanese surrender 22 days after nuclear bombings?

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
Bombings took place August 6 and then another one August 9. Japan surrendered September 2.

If nuclear bombings were the reason for Japanese surrender, why did it take them 22 days to surrender?

Prior to nuclear bombings Japanese had 68 cities destroyed in conventional bombings, some had even more casualties than Hirosima and Nagasaki, so they were used to bombings, and fancy new bombs could not scare the Japanese to surrender. So what was the reason behind Japanese surrender?

Billtx49

Reaction score
Two cities that were disappeared in an instant… Doesn’t take a genius to decide your country will eventually disappear if it’s not stopped via surrender…
This is a dating related site, try not to troll by posting completely unrelated subjects …

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I checked history in browser, I did in fact. No idea how it happened, guess I wasn't paying attention and was focused on the subject. Can you move it to anything else please.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Because radiation sickness killed the rest much later.

I don't think many could stomach seeing thousands dying a slow death due to mutations of their own cells.

Plinco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Soviet Union also declared war on Japan after the bombs dropped; they were going to invade Japanese occupied Manchuria.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They couldn't figure out if the U.S. had more nukes ir how long it would take to make more.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They couldn't figure out if the U.S. had more nukes ir how long it would take to make more.
That was a major part of it, from my limited understanding of the situation.
The Japanese culture was also very much against the concept of surrender, so it took them awhile to come around to a new way of thinking.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Japan was far more advanced than the USA in Atomic/Nuclear research.

Japan and Germany were losing the war and didn't have any space or ressources to manufacture an atomic weapon.

The USA took the lead and we're the first one to us it.

Japan culture of war was fierce against surrendering.

But Japan leaders wanted to preserve the futur of the country.

Japan knew that the USA could just Nuke them up... basically have no fights + Japan was going on a food/energy crisis + Russia declare War etc.

They knew they lost and would die without a fight thanks to nuke. Thus Surrendering

Cckybold

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not nuke ..They have no resources and money to fight anymore..

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wonder if it was the japs to have nukes first and after seeing the effect of the first one, would drop a second one.

In my opinion all major parties would have thrown the first one on their enemies, not sure about the second.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Japanese were merciless warriors. I'm sure they would have dropped as many as they could to effect surrender.

There's nothing different or "special" about America that caused us to drop a second one. The prospect of losing another several hundred thousand of our own men to defeat Japan was reason enough to throw another one. And we would have thrown a third in September or October, I'm sure.

We must never forget that it's easy to Monday morning quarterback decades later. The decisions that were made were made by people who were weary and shocked from 4 years of global warfare brought about mostly by Germany and Japan. It had to end by any means necessary.

War is about ruthless destruction of the enemy. In later wars the US showed the world what dipping a toe in the waters of war does. Korea, Vietnam, on and on we go. Our "police actions" and limited engagements yielded nothing but protracted, unecessary suffering.

Once you're in, you've got to be all-in. The one with the most resources, and will to win, is the one who prevails.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let me repeat the original question -- WHY DID JAPANESE SURRENDER 22 DAYS LATER?
22 days of denial
My grandpa who fought in the war told me that Japanese soldiers were killing themselves at the end. Surrendering was considered a great dishonor.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not only was surrender unthinkable as people said, but I just read that they had never been successfully invaded, nor lost a war. Ever.

Side note, I watched a documentary about the delivery of the first A-bomb, Fat Man I guess. The guy who sat in the rear of the plane and manually unhinged it for its drop told the story. I think it was just him and the pilot. I wish I could remember the name of the film, but it was nerve-racking to watch even knowing how it turned out.

yeah!

Don Juan
Reaction score
The surrender of Japan was announced by the Emperor to his subjects on the 15 August 1945. So by then they had already decided to surrender. It took 6 days, not 22 days. The official ceremony was on 2 September 1945.

The declaration of war and imminent invasion by Russia might have played a bigger part than that of the A-bombs.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My understanding is that they actually informed the United States of their surrender somewhere around August 12 or 13. The announcement was made public on the 15th.