Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weights

L

littledude070

What would be a good weight routine for a 13 year old? Free weights or what? And what pounds?

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you're too young for weight training.

Wait til you're 15.

Your bones and joints are still too fragile for the beating your body takes during consistent weight training sessions.

If you must, do body-weight only exercises like pull-ups and push-ups for the upper body and stadium stairs to build up your legs.

D

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you can start working out, but like it was said before, no weights. Do pushups, situps, pullups, etc.

Though it is a MYTH that weight lifting stunts growth, you still shouldn't be lifting too much when your body's still growing as rapidly strengthening bone.

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by littledude070:
What would be a good weight routine for a 13 year old? Free weights or what? And what pounds?
I disagree with Deisel in that your bones and joints are too fragile because sprinting and playing sports subject far greater demands on you bones and joints than weightlifting.

But I do agree that you shoud start with bodyweight stuff first. Start with basics like pushups, hindu squats, bridging, situps/crunches, whatever. Once you become proficient at those, try handstand pushups and one-legged squats. If you get good at those, then you can try moving on to weights.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eltosian:
I disagree with Deisel in that your bones and joints are too fragile because sprinting and playing sports subject far greater demands on you bones and joints than weightlifting.

But I do agree that you shoud start with bodyweight stuff first. Start with basics like pushups, hindu squats, bridging, situps/crunches, whatever. Once you become proficient at those, try handstand pushups and one-legged squats. If you get good at those, then you can try moving on to weights.
sprinting and sports do put stress on the bones and joints, but nothing like the shearing forces you put on the bones when lifitng. It's a different kind of stress, that's all.

D

Lilredplaya

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lemme guess, its gun stunt his growth right? hahaha, you can start liftin aslong as youve alrdy hit puberty. just dont over do it, like overtrain or put enuff weight to hurt urself.

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Uh, NO, i just said, it DOESNT stunt your growth, who said that?

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL:
sprinting and sports do put stress on the bones and joints, but nothing like the shearing forces you put on the bones when lifitng. It's a different kind of stress, that's all.

D
http://www.intensitymagazine.com/03-12-02/nate_jeffers.html

In my last article I discussed some general guidelines for improving athleticism in children. The focus of this article will be youth strength training. There are many myths and fallacies surrounding resistance training for kids. Parents are frequently asking me, "At what age is it safe for my child to start lifting?" They are under the misapprehension that strength training is dangerous and can stunt their child's growth. Allegedly strength training damages the growth plates of growing bones. Even many exercise professionals fall sway to this argument, prescribing at most body weight exercises for children under the age of 14.

This argument is flawed and without merit. Epidemiological studies done with bone scans by orthopedists have not shown any greater incidence of epiphyseal damage among children who lift weights. Injury rates in team sports dwarf those incurred from strength training. Stress imposed on the body by running and jumping is up to 300% greater than those imposed by lifting. Dr. Mel Siff, one of the country's preeminent sport scientists, asserts that damage among children who lift is grossly exaggerated and is on the scale of an urban myth. With participation in sports increasing, especially among females, there is a significant need for better physical preparation to prevent sport injuries.

*new*

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if you are lifting 2 pound dumbbells then of course it will give you no stress. But if you are doing what experienced guys like DIESEL lift, then you will know the stress we are talking about.

Kids around that age cannot do those weights. So yes, jumping will put more stress for kids. At that age, they are better off playing basketball.

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Firstly DIESEL is right in a way. at the age of 13 your body is going through a major change physically. i don't believe lifting weights can stunt growth but it can mess up other stuff.

and also most 13 year olds are into the whole "heman" complex where they feel they gotta prove somthin but going way too heavy.

little dude,

from my experience man i would recommend doing push-ups and pull-ups for upper body and a good routine for your abs. IF FOR ANY REASON you do decide to lift PLEASE do it VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. just cuz theres no point in going too heavy at ur age and most liekly very light weight

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by *new*:
if you are lifting 2 pound dumbbells then of course it will give you no stress. But if you are doing what experienced guys like DIESEL lift, then you will know the stress we are talking about.
Uhh... I know the stress that weights put on you, the positive stress that is. I'm not talking about 2 pound Malibu Ken color-coded dumbbells, I'm talking about pure strength training.

Kids around that age cannot do those weights. So yes, jumping will put more stress for kids. At that age, they are better off playing basketball.
I don't get your argument. You state that kids cannot lift weights, and that jumping will put more stress, so they should do basketball. Makes no sense to me.

*new*

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
how much weight can a 13 year old kid lift?
I am sure he can benchpress 400 pounds...

those kids should just do basketball or likewise sports

Eltosian

Don Juan
Reaction score
how much weight can a 13 year old kid lift?
I am sure he can benchpress 400 pounds...
Not much likely. That's why he should learn proper form first, when the weights are light. This defeats your arguments of "stress" on the bones and joints.

those kids should just do basketball or likewise sports
Why? I think kids should do sports, but they should train to keep in shape for their sports.