Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Wanting it too much?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My second question in a few day. This might be more for people who’ve worked in a structure rather than self employed.

I’ve had 2 of what we call “minor b0ll0ckings” (this is a superior checking your behaviour or mistake)

This was not for poor performance. The first was because I thought I was entitled to a better cut of something and lost my shyt and threatened to resign. Once I calmed down
I realised I’d been a diva.

Just now I was fighting an internal politics fight and basically went straight to the top table and gave both barrels asking for our function to get more. I could have been more tactful. I think it mildly upset some senior people.

My boss said I have no long term impact (Ie no disciplinary etc) but I need to be more diplomatic and go through him.

Question is, is there a point when you want it too much and this becomes counter productive?

Or while I am temporarily upsetting people, am I bringing myself the spotlight as someone with balls? (I wasn’t rude or critical just brutally honest and forceful in gettjnf my way)

I feel like I’m becoming a tyrant but I’ve never done this before…I’m not sure whether I should be proud, ashamed or a bit of both.

im considering whether you can want success so bad it goes negative. Or is upsetting people part of the deal?

M

member160292

I work in high-tech for a European country in the US. There is so much red tape and for me to get what my customer wants, I need to scream and pout for a lack of a better term. I’d rather be a disruptor and get the message across to upper management than sit back and go through my boss. Once they know you are that way, they will accept it as norm

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This was not for poor performance. The first was because I thought I was entitled to a better cut of something and lost my shyt and threatened to resign. Once I calmed down
I realised I’d been a diva.

Just now I was fighting an internal politics fight and basically went straight to the top table and gave both barrels asking for our function to get more. I could have been more tactful. I think it mildly upset some senior people.
im considering whether you can want success so bad it goes negative. Or is upsetting people part of the deal?
Elsewhere you mention working as an investment professional, which I think is relevant here. At least in the U.S., the culture is tougher in the investment world.

Does "a better cut of something" refer to getting paid a percentage, like a commission? Meaning you helped the company gain some business, yet were compensated worse than others who did less?

It may help to view this as a policy mistake - the lack of a company rule for this situation. What is a fair way to measure everyone's contributions to gaining business? What is a fair way to divide up the rewards? You can make the case for your view of the company rule, and use your situation as an example.

Reincarnated

Don Juan
Reaction score
What is it specifically that you're "wanting", is it success in general, moving up the ladder, higher compensation?

The type of antics you mention make me believe you aren't the most charismatic or people-centric person. Your perspectives very well may be true, but you need to be more methodical and nuanced in order to achieve your means. You will not get anywhere if people hold

Moving up the ranks of a corporate structure is a combination of competence, the ability to make allies, and work ethic. You'll get people who claim it's "all about who you know, not what you know", but this isn't the case. Most people who move up are competent, it's always the people below them making claims to the contrary.

I don't think you can ever "want success too much" like I previously said, you need to be more methodical in your approach though.

jimwho

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’d rather be a disruptor and get the message across to upper management than sit back and go through my boss. Once they know you are that way, they will accept it as norm

I agree. It's backfired for me personally... BUT.
My Daughter recently jumped all over her boss big time both barrels while gathering her things (Helmet goggles gloves laptop phone) thinking she's fired. When she was done lambasting the old codger (same age as me) and started walking away, he asked where are you going? Fast forward a couple days and the two other girls working there asked my kid what the hell did you tell him? He called her in the office "uh-oh" but got a three an hour raise.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You need to lean how to be more tactful. Acting like an out of control lunatic is not going to get you what you want and may get you shown the door when you report to it one too many times.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I locked horns with many seniors/bosses and was fired about 4 times in my career for various reasons (never performance). I can look back and laugh now but it did hurt at times, taking "orders", disciplinaries, and being in "trouble" for some BS. Me, a grown man, being made to feel like a kid smh.

I bided my time, soaked up and stole what info/processes I needed, and started my own firm. I believe some people aren't meant to follow.

If you're getting this worked up over a company that doesn't care, maybe think about going self-employed. I don't believe any company is worth the energy you're giving them unless you're paid extremely well.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I locked horns with many seniors/bosses and was fired about 4 times in my career for various reasons (never performance). I can look back and laugh now but it did hurt at times, taking "orders", disciplinaries, and being in "trouble" for some BS. Me, a grown man, being made to feel like a kid smh.

I bided my time, soaked up and stole what info/processes I needed, and started my own firm. I believe some people aren't meant to follow.

If you're getting this worked up over a company that doesn't care, maybe think about going self-employed. I don't believe any company is worth the energy you're giving them unless you're paid extremely well.
I had a well paid corporate career in investment management during my 20s, was absolutely miserable though. Enjoyed running my own business 100x more even the first few years when I did not make any money and worked double the hours. Like you, I couldn't stand taking orders from layers of management and playing the political game. If someone is disciplined, reasonably intelligent and willing to sacrifice would 100% recommend doing something on their own for both financial and mental well being.