Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Trying to masculinise my image

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am thinking of changing my image for the new year as I feel like a change. I was trying to go for more of a sort of sporty/masculine look-as I don't have the looks for a pretty boy look-but think that with a bit of effort I could carry off a masculine look.

In my favour I am 6 foot tall and muscular and rugged. I have a man's body-and a fair bit of chest hair which is pretty impressive for someone with fair skin!

Currently I wear my hair sort of medium length with a side parting-think 30s film star. I tend to dress preppily. I am very youthful looking and have been mistaken for a freshman several times even though I am 20.

Unfortunately I can't carry off the crew-cut look as my ears stick out a bit and short hair paradoxically makes me look even younger. I wanted to go for more of a scruffy, bad boy look, wearing my hair long-but have no idea about what style to go for. I have golden brown coloured hair, quite thick and slightly wavy. Was perhaps going to bleach it or streak it or something?

I was also thinking of growing a bit of stubble and going for an unshaven look-how far can one get away with this?

Will try and find a photo to post

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go with whatever you think you look best as... everyone's opinion of 'masculine' differs.. though if you wanted, you could keep the stubble and wear nothing but plaid double-breasted button-down shirts... then you'd be the Brawny man's twin. :p

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And stop using the word 'masculinise,' it negates any positive steps you make...

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt Rogers
I am thinking of changing my image for the new year as I feel like a change. I was trying to go for more of a sort of sporty/masculine look-as I don't have the looks for a pretty boy look-but think that with a bit of effort I could carry off a masculine look.

In my favour I am 6 foot tall and muscular and rugged. I have a man's body-and a fair bit of chest hair which is pretty impressive for someone with fair skin!

Currently I wear my hair sort of medium length with a side parting-think 30s film star. I tend to dress preppily. I am very youthful looking and have been mistaken for a freshman several times even though I am 20.

Unfortunately I can't carry off the crew-cut look as my ears stick out a bit and short hair paradoxically makes me look even younger. I wanted to go for more of a scruffy, bad boy look, wearing my hair long-but have no idea about what style to go for. I have golden brown coloured hair, quite thick and slightly wavy. Was perhaps going to bleach it or streak it or something?

I was also thinking of growing a bit of stubble and going for an unshaven look-how far can one get away with this?

Will try and find a photo to post
Before you do anything, read a book called, "Psycho Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Trying to masculinise my image

Originally posted by Nightwing
Before you do anything, read a book called, "Psycho Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz.
I suggest the updated version "The New Psycho-Cybernetics" by the same author. ISBN: 0735202753.

Hot Ice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Trying to masculinise my image

Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
I suggest the updated version "The New Psycho-Cybernetics" by the same author. ISBN: 0735202753.
What it's about?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dr. Maltz pioneered the psychology of self improvement over 40 years ago. It's basically the way to make lasting changes to yourself from within while taking less time than many other methods.

His theories were the predecessors of what is currently known as Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) and are still used today by many psychologists and life coaches. Tony Robbins' methods are based on NLP and Psycho Cybernetics.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Trying to masculinise my image

Originally posted by Francisco d'Anconia
I saw that version at Barnes and Noble the day that I bought Psycho-Cybernetics. What are the differences between the two books?

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The book, "The new guide to rational living" by Albert Ellis is another good one to get along with Psycho-Cybernetics.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Trying to masculinise my image

Originally posted by Nightwing
I saw that version at Barnes and Noble the day that I bought Psycho-Cybernetics. What are the differences between the two books?
Same theory but contemporary concepts. Understand that the original was written in 1960. The new one is either 2002 or 2003.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got the most recent addition and skimmed through it. Cannot seem to do the visualising thing for some reason.

The self-image stuff definitely hit home. It occured to me that i judge myself far too harshly. I also have problems with self-acceptance and esteem. I will try and apply maltz's solutions for dealing with this stuff.

thanks for the book suggestion-it looks gold.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt Rogers
I got the most recent addition and skimmed through it. Cannot seem to do the visualising thing for some reason.

The self-image stuff definitely hit home. It occured to me that i judge myself far too harshly. I also have problems with self-acceptance and esteem. I will try and apply maltz's solutions for dealing with this stuff.

thanks for the book suggestion-it looks gold.
I have the same issues as well, Maltz's book helped a lot. I still read and reread chapters of the book until I fully absorb the message of what he's saying. Don't forget to get the book by Albert Ellis. Check out amazon.com, you can get it real cheap and it's an excellent companion to Maltz's book.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Will work on Maltz's book.

I have posted my picture under the my pictures site. It is taken in a fairly dim room so is somewhat flattering, but is a pretty accurate representation of how i look. Any stylistic ideas appreciated.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, here a suggestion on how to get the visualizations to work. Before you step into the "theater of your mind," watch the pre-qual. In other words you need to a have a good depiction of who you are now so that you can view a 'realistic' enhancement of yourself.

You're probably not getting the visualizations because they seem a bit far fetched or unrealistic. First determine who your are, very specifically and then view something a little better.

For example, if you have a difficult time approaching women and having a conversation; view yourself as the only man walking down a street with a a bevy of women walking toward you (no its not realistic per se, but how often do you want to walk down a street and noticing just guys).

You have a strut in your step and you are walking tall, your stride is relaxed yet purposeful. The sun is warm, you look great and you know it. As you pass each woman you smile are her and say 'hello' and she beams back at you with a warm 'hello.' You pass another and say 'hello,' and she smiles back 'hello.' One after the other; "Hello," "hello," Hello," "Hello." Every single woman you say hello and she feels happy that you made the effort to acknowledge her presence so she says hello back to you, even MORE effectionately....

Was that image a bit extreme for the norm? "Yeah kinda, but still within the realm of reality. But why not talk to these women since they are so friendly? Because you are focusing on what needs to be done first, feeling comfortable acknowledging a woman without fear of being rebuffed.

Play that exercise over and over until it feels so real that when you really walk down the street, you feel an urge to "just say hello" to a woman walking toward you. There is no fear, there is no purpose other than you wanting her to know that you recognize her existence.

Try it, don't try to figure out why this exercise should work, just understand that you would first need small steps first to be successful in visualizing something on a grander scale.

Also keep in mind that people will only understand what they believe....

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another book you should look up.

Matt, also read a book called "Self Creation" by George Weinberg.
Again, that book EXTREMELY cheap on amazon.com, and it's very valuable to have in your DJ library.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

But would like a few comments on my picture under the pictures thread, just for a few stylistic ideas? I was thinking of perhaps doing something different with my hair-maybe bleaching it or something.