Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

To all the guitar players.

Kidd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently been experiencing problems with my Ibanez.

BTW, I am using Floyd Rose (for those who do not know what that is or dont know how it works, please do not respond).

Whenever I tune a string with the tuners on the headstock, that string goes out of tune as soon as I tune another one.

Also, the guitar goes immideatly out of tune as soon as I finish placing the tuning locks back on.

I figure the problem has something to do with the floating bridge.

Please help.

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Those floating tremolo systems can be tricky in this way. When tuning my guitar, I stick a small block of wood in the back of the guitar to keep the tremolo bridge from going slack (or tight) while I'm tuning up on the headstock. This will keep it from moving around, and you should get it all set up in no time at all.;)

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know what is so interesting is why they even include those anymore (I know Ibanez still has them).

It's been awhile since I've seen a guitar player even use his whammy bar.

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I play alot of surf music, so I use mine alot. I have a Floyd Rose bridge on my telecaster (yes, you heard right), and thats my main ax right now. If I start playing heavy metal again (which I doubt I will) I'll start using my ESP's and Ibanez guitars again.

Carven is my favorite brand, but I've been too lazy to buy a new guitar. My next guitar will be a Carven.:cool:

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Overtune the bottom strings systematically and progressively, that way, they will fall in tune eventually as you tune the higher ones. By the way, why the fuck don't you post this on one of countless other guitar forums?

Sir Lancelot

Don Juan
Reaction score
Floyd roses are a b*tch to tune. It used to take me a long time (several days!) in order to get mine in to tune, but now I can get one in tune in a half hour or so. Main thing is, tune the strings a little sharp .. and they'll eventually fall back in to tune.

It's kind of a balance issue on the bridge of the guitar, here's how I do it:

1. I start by tuning the high E string up to E (maybe a little sharp)
2. Then I tune the LOW E up to E (a little sharp, like before)
3. Then I tune the high B up to B
4. Then tune the low A up to A
5. Do the same for G and D

Basically this balances the "pull" the strings have on the bridge, so the bridge remains more-or-less parallel to the body. I think this technique is called cross-tuning.

If you don't have one already, invest in a locking-nut. As soon as you get your guitar in tune, you lock these little screws on the nut and you're guitar won't be going out of tune for a long time. They're a must have for floyd rose guitars.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is the floating bridge.

As you tune one string, everything is fine but as you add tension to the others, the bridge will react, thereby causing the strings you just tuned to fall flat, again.

This happens on every guitar, even ones without a tremolo system. The neck will respond to the tension of the strings as well. The floating trem simply amplifies the effect.

Just over compensate on the first few strings you tune and then go over 2-3 times and re-tune them all.

Make sure you aren't bending the neck, when you screw the locking nut back in place, as well.

The Bad Ass Canadian

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Bad Ass Canadian
The problem is the floating bridge.

As you tune one string, everything is fine but as you add tension to the others, the bridge will react, thereby causing the strings you just tuned to fall flat, again.

This happens on every guitar, even ones without a tremolo system. The neck will respond to the tension of the strings as well. The floating trem simply amplifies the effect.

Just over compensate on the first few strings you tune and then go over 2-3 times and re-tune them all.

Make sure you aren't bending the neck, when you screw the locking nut back in place, as well.

The Bad Ass Canadian
Way to repeat what has just been said 5 times!

Life-Trainee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are more than one ways of properly tuning FL. Here's my sequence:

1. fat E
2. thin E
3. B
4. A
5. G
6. D

Repeat until in tune...

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
I play a Jackson Solid Body Professional (no longer made, work of art in my opinion) it also has a floyd rose floating tremelo. Although I never use a whammy bar I personally love the floyd rose and have never had a problem with it.

When replacing strings one trick I have found that never fails is this:

First reset all your fine tuning knobs to center. This gives you play so you can tune sharp or flat once you lock your bridge.

Replace the strings one at a time. I know this sounds like a no brainer but I am still amazed as to how many guitarist do not do this. This keeps your neck from warping as well as stretches the strings at the same time.

1) Replace the E String, tune it immediately
2) Replace the A String, Retune the E, then tune the A
3) Replace the D String, Retune E, A, and then tune D
4) Replace the G String, Retune E, A, D, then tune G
5) Replace the B String, Retune E, A, D, G, then tune B
6) Replace the E String, Retune E, A, D, G, B, then tune E

When tuning a new string I rarely ever intentionally tune it sharp.
I just tune to a standard 440.

You may want to run through and keep re-tuning your strings until all the tension is set and they are holding a tune on their own.

Once the strings are in tune, Lock the bridge at the E and A string.
Chances are it will go flat or sharp about a quarter step. If you reset your fine tuning knobs you will have plenty of play to fine tune it to were it needs to be. Usually about a quarter to a half a turn of the fine tuning knob.

Repeat the above step for strings D and G, as well as B and E.

This may sound like a lot of work but it really isn't. It takes me about 20 minutes to restring this way and once I have the tune set, it is set until I decide to change it.

HypoxiaII

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another thing

I always bang on the strings or just stretch them with the pick a bit when tuning them, so they don't get right out of tune as soon as I start playing.