Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

tent in the wind

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im a novice that decided to hike up mount snowdon there are suposed to be very strong winds, i have a 4 person tent thats not very airodinamic, just an average tent, it has 20 places that it can be secured in to the ground and i have 40 pegs, both of us and out kit comes up to aobut 200kg

what stregnth of wind do you think it would be safe to be in with out the tent being up rooted and rolling down the the mountian with us in it!

this is my life so only answer if you actuly have experince with this.

the winds could be up to 120km an hour hecne im very aprehensive

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're insane. 120km is around 75mph, I believe? Considering that anything over 73mph (118km+) is called a hurricane, I'd have to say that yes, pitching a Wal-Mart brand tent in the middle of a hurricane on the side of a mountain would definitely earn you the Darwin Award. By the way, I'm an Eagle Scout and have camped out 100+ nights.

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/marine/wind.shtml

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah i supspected it was bad, thats why i have already posponed by a few days before you even replied.

The reaosn i was not sure weather i should go or not is because some forcasts said the wind would be a lot less, such as about 40mph.

then i came to the conclusion that even if it was 40mph which is feasable, 40mph is still inpractical because it would make things very hard.

so im going on friday when winds should have droped down to 25mph and will spend christmas eve in a tent 4000 feet high at 10 degrees below zero (including wind chill)

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
for those kinds of winds you dont want a huge tent, and that one weighs a load aswell. I saw a 2 man tent that was about 1 foot high just over 2 feet wide and the legnth of a person, it was very streamlined, this is the tent you need for extreme winds.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like you're not going to be using your tent very much at all, so buying a customized, streamlined tent would be a tad bit overkill. I've got a North Face Peregrine tent that's never given me any problems in the past 2 years. This thing is built for the worst, and it looks snazzy too. Nobody else I know has a hammerheaded tent. Oh, your sleeping bag is the second most important thing you'll be bringing. A North Face down fill mummy bag would suit you best if you'll be in those temperatures.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
obviously a week tent could collapse but my biggest fear was it being uprooted and rolled down the mountain, and to stop that happening you need a tent that does not catch the wind well.