Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Study: Men become invisible to young women at 39.....

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The "study", as reported in this article and the one referenced to it, is incredibly misleading. The age of 39 does not actually appear to be an age chosen by women in the "study." Take note the study was a sampling, not just women, but of men and women.

Men and women reported that "...the top signs for women that you’re [men are] too old for them to flirt with, and they’re pretty obvious signs of aging: Your hair is going gray, you’ve got a couple of chins, your hair is thinning, and your teeth look bad." Those things are not directly about being 39 or older, as the headline implies, but presenting one's best self. A double chin and bad teeth are not attractive at any age, not suddenly when a man turns 39.

Take note that, as reported, it appears that, men's perceptions of when men lose attractiveness to women, were tabulated right in to the total along with women, thus creating a false perception in the reporting that the conclusions were based on women alone. I state that as I think men make a far bigger deal out of men's hair thinning, than women. I think it's corporate interests above all that drive that insecurity in men, all for financial gain. I'd be curious what percentage of respondents were male vs female suggesting that.

What I did find interesting was,
"Six out of ten women (62 per cent) assume that most men in their late 30s are attached by that age and are not worth approaching." I think this is key for men to be aware of. It suggests opportunities are passing by, if you are always waiting for the woman to approach.

The other was, "No longer being chatted up or eyed up on a night out was the clearest sign for both sexes that a man had become invisible - chosen by 54 per cent of respondents." (again, men and women)

The idea that at 39 men become invisible is just a headline to gain to readership by the articles reporting. Men's SMV does not end at 39 as the headlines mistakenly suggest. In fact for many, it's quite the opposite.

Last edited:

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The "study" as reported, in this article and the one referenced to it, is incredibly misleading. The age of 39 does not actually appear to be a age chosen by women in the "study." Take note the study was a sampling, not just women, but of men and women.

Men and women reported that "...the top signs for women that you’re [men are] too old for them to flirt with, and they’re pretty obvious signs of aging: Your hair is going gray, you’ve got a couple of chins, your hair is thinning, and your teeth look bad." Those things are not directly about being 39 or older, as the headline implies, but presenting one's best self. A double chin and bad teeth are not attractive at any age, not suddenly when a man turns 39.

Take note that, as reported, it appears that, men's perceptions of when men lose attractiveness to women, were tabulated right in to the total along with women, thus creating a false perception in the reporting that the conclusions were based on women alone. I state that as I think men make a far bigger deal out of their hair thinning than women. I think it's corporate interests above all that drive that insecurity in men, all for financial gain. I'd be curious what percentage of respondents were male vs female suggesting that.

What I did find interesting was,
"Six out of ten women (62 per cent) assume that most men in their late 30s are attached by that age and are not worth approaching." I think this is key for men to be aware of as waiting opportunities are passing by, if you are always waiting for the woman to approach.

The other was, "No longer being chatted up or eyed up on a night out was the clearest sign for both sexes that a man had become invisible - chosen by 54 per cent of respondents." (again, men and women)

The idea that at 39 men become invisible is just a headline to gain to readership by the articles reporting. Men's SMV does not end at 39 as the headlines mistakenly suggest. In fact for many, it's quite the opposite.

TL;DR in bold

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a pretty firm believer that young women can be and often are attracted to older men. I don't think age is a major issue. However, if you are just talking about a very basic general trend, I have no problem with this conclusion. As LiveYourDream talks about, bad teeth, getting fat, double chins, all these things are more likely to happen when you get older, IF you don't take care of yourself.

As for grey hair, I went grey pretty early and from salt and pepper to full on grey, I've always had compliments from women saying they liked my grey hair. Women should color it though, IMO.

So maybe the study is generally true, with the following caveats:
1) Not all younger women are going to hold your age against you
2) If a man is attractive enough, his age isn't going to matter
3) Maybe a young girl won't look around the bar and pick you out as a first choice, but if you start talking and you are charming enough, she can change her mind quickly

I also like that the OP makes a distinction between 18-24 year olds and 25-29 year olds, because I think it does make some difference.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe it depends on the country first of all, swedish girls which have the gov basically being their provider/protector have certain instinct taking over, russian girls which live in a more hostile environment have other instinct taking over.

So a skinny cute boy who works as pool boy may score great in the first one but lose to a middle aged bulky wealthy man in the second.

Then again, hair thinning and yellow teeth sucks at any time but they have a point that they are to be taken as a sign of aging since thats when it happens the most, same for wrinkles in women or their breast suffering gravity.

Would any of you have sex with a woman fatter than usual, with low breat and large ass? probably not, would you in an environment where most of the women are worse than that? probably yes, again the environment plays a part.

When Im in easter Europe I pass on many decent girls cause I know I can have hot ones, when Im in south Europe those same just decent girls I pass earlier become a great result to achieve.

Also lets not forget that tall well built guys have an edge on short skinny fat guys which can balance up to 10 yrs.

L B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I laugh at studies like this. Workout, eat healthy, have a decent career, have fun hobby, surround yourself with positive friends/family, and take care of your appearance. You'll never be that aging overweight old fart that everyone warns you about when you hit your late 30s.

Glumix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Express, Dailymail, article written by women (99% of female journalists are feminist), no sources, where is the study actually?!

When you read something, read first about the author past and his/her general idea and experience of life...

If you read a newspaper, know what the paper is know for. If it's republican, democrat, feminist, etc...

If you have advertising everywhere to sell cosmetics and hair transplant on an article telling that men turn ugly at 39, you already know what this article is here for.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Express, Dailymail, article written by women (99% of female journalists are feminist), no sources, where is the study actually?!

When you read something, read first about the author past and his/her general idea and experience of life...

If you read a newspaper, know what the paper is know for. If it's republican, democrat, feminist, etc...

If you have advertising everywhere to sell cosmetics and hair transplant on an article telling that men turn ugly at 39, you already know what this article is here for.
shaming older men. That was the entire point of that article. To let an man entering his middle age feel defeated and without options in life.

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting I'm 50+ and get IOI from curious young women all the time... but honestly I have little interest in those 18-24 year olds....

I have nothing in common with them... I recently went to see Fleetwood Mac and a young woman I was sizing up and she had no idea who they where... WTH. I might play along for practice but I like my women a little more mature.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting I'm 50+ and get IOI from curious young women all the time... but honestly I have little interest in those 18-24 year olds...
I agree, I am also 50+ and I have no question there are women in that age group I could land or at the very least bang. However, girls 18-24 seem a little immature for my taste.

I know Mystery selected this age group as being the most desirable - placed them on a bit of a pedestal, didn't he? He was what, 30 or so when he said that? Doesn't matter. I know guys tend to focus mostly on the physical attributes of females here, but there does come a point where their lack of maturity level makes them not worth it.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, I am also 50+ and I have no question there are women in that age group I could land or at the very least bang. However, girls 18-24 seem a little immature for my taste.

I know Mystery selected this age group as being the most desirable - placed them on a bit of a pedestal, didn't he? He was what, 30 or so when he said that? Doesn't matter. I know guys tend to focus mostly on the physical attributes of females here, but there does come a point where their lack of maturity level makes them not worth it.
I agree. If you can land this age for a shagging do so, but do not use your time on them. Your bottom age at 50 should be 30 years old, and more like 35 years so they have life experience and some stability you can figure out what their tragectory is.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. If you can land this age for a shagging do so, but do not use your time on them. Your bottom age at 50 should be 30 years old, and more like 35 years so they have life experience and some stability you can figure out what their tragectory is.
Well, I think a person's "bottom age" should be up to the individual, 50 or not. My point was I probably wouldn't want to put up with the immature girl long enough for even a shagging. But there are plenty of girls 25-29 I could tolerate. Desdinova I know prefers his women in their early 20s because he says they can pair bond more easily. Like I said, it depends on the individual.

SeymourCake

Banned
Reaction score
Only damaged girls who have daddy issues are into old men.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only damaged girls who have daddy issues are into old men.
Can't agree with this at all. Most of the girls I read about on this forum sound a heck of a lot more "damaged" than any women who are into me. :)

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your bottom age at 50 should be 30 years old,
I think a man's only "bottom" should be the age of consent. I have a good friend who is 50 years old and his wife is 27. I think a lot of the generalizations are bull5hit. I've met immature 20 year old women, but I've also met immature 40 year old women. I firmly believe most women are done maturing between age 23 and 27. They don't change much after that, but instead become more damaged over time.

and more like 35 years so they have life experience and some stability you can figure out what their tragectory is.
I've had nothing but problems with women in their 30s. They are messy, damaged, and IMO useless for LTRs.

My GF is 22, has a job, owns her own place, and has a car. That's more than I can say for many of the women I've dated in their 30s. When it comes to stability, age is just a number. A woman's core values will dictate her financial stability. Her age has nothing to do with it.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a man's only "bottom" should be the age of consent. I have a good friend who is 50 years old and his wife is 27. I think a lot of the generalizations are bull5hit. I've met immature 20 year old women, but I've also met immature 40 year old women. I firmly believe most women are done maturing between age 23 and 27. They don't change much after that, but instead become more damaged over time.

I've had nothing but problems with women in their 30s. They are messy, damaged, and IMO useless for LTRs.

My GF is 22, has a job, owns her own place, and has a car. That's more than I can say for many of the women I've dated in their 30s. When it comes to stability, age is just a number. A woman's core values will dictate her financial stability. Her age has nothing to do with it.
But you wouldn't say at 30 or 32 that "they are what they are", versus 20 or 21 they may make "flighty" changes in their life and their behavior can flip out 180 degrees as they try different things. They could've even been "stable" for their age and felt they was missing out and try to recapture it.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But you wouldn't say at 30 or 32 that "they are what they are", versus 20 or 21 they may make "flighty" changes in their life and their behavior can flip out 180 degrees as they try different things. They could've even been "stable" for their age and felt they was missing out and try to recapture it.
At 30 or 32, they're WORSE than what they were. The flighty-ness will disappear with time. They don't remain flighty and immature. If they get repeatedly damaged by men and form male friendships, that 5hit won't go away after age 32.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a lot of the generalizations are bull5hit. I've met immature 20 year old women, but I've also met immature 40 year old women.
You're right about this, of course. When it comes to 18-24 year old women, perhaps it would be more accurate for me to say that I'm not interested in their lifestyle. Women (and men) that age are experimenting, searching their boundaries, testing their social limits, putting themselves out there.

I know you like to hang out in pubs and karaoke, Des, so you would probably find that more acceptable. I have no interest in doing that sort of thing at this point in time. Did it when I was younger. I think most young women will go through at least a phase where they start hitting the bars. There's nothing wrong with that, it just isn't my thing anymore.

yuppee

Banned
Reaction score
I have had half a dozen young women flirting with me, 30 or more years younger than me, turn off like a light switch when I mentioned having a young fiance. dunno if it's the young, or the other woman or what, but I know it's happened, many times.

MrWood

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
at 45 i met a 35yo, we dated 3 years
at 48 I met a 30yo, we dated 2 years (my curent ex)
at 50 I will meet the previous ex this weekend, that I dumped for the 30yo...