Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squat for big arms

Bradford

Reaction score
To gain muscle mass naturally you need to perform your workouts using a high level of intensity doing the right type of exercise in conjunction with the proper duration.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Squat for big arms indeed.

Ive not done any direct arm work for several months now, yet my arms are noticably bigger, certainly bigger than they ever were when I was doing 30 bicep curls every other day!! :crackup:

Cure.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i dunno...there are far to many guys at the gym who have BIG arms but dont squat or deadlift. I'd like to support the idea of squatting for big arms but Im gonna go against the grain and say direct arm work with some type of heavy upperbody work will get you big arms. Squatting may marginally effect arm girth.. but not as much as people might believe.

Benching and curls seem to have a much better effect on arm girth.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. I have seen many cases with big arms without lower body work. I would say "squat for a more functional body". Although i do believe it will help boost testosterone for muscle growth.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure said:
Squat for big arms indeed.

Ive not done any direct arm work for several months now, yet my arms are noticably bigger, certainly bigger than they ever were when I was doing 30 bicep curls every other day!! :crackup:

Cure.
Same here.

Wanna know what I do for arms? 5 sets of heavy DB curls and 5 sets of tricep pressdowns, once a week. My arms are about 19" cold.

I will say, though, that I do weighted dips and chins, as well as a lot of rows. So those help as well.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are the examples of people with big arms who dont squat, individuals who have NEVER done lower body work? Or are they simply not doing any at the moment?

I doubt it would be possible, from what Ive read, to go from skinny to muscular with no leg work. And why would you want to?

Firing a cannon from a canoe and all that..

I look back on me one year ago, at the size of my legs and total disreguard of lower body work, and laugh!

Cure.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is possible to get a big upper body without training lower body at all. I see guys like this all the time. But they look ridiculous, and even if they can bench a lot, they're not "strong" in a functional way. When, outside of a gym, do you lie on your back and push something with just your arms?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
insidious said:
mrR, thanks for your typically caustic input, but please don't even pretend to presume to understand my private motivations.

If your mental boundaries define your worldview, I think you've quite well displayed that those boundaries are in fact the size of a flea.

I do believe I've had the gauntlet thrown down by the local wordsmith.

It took me two years to come up with a reply to this because of my little flea brain.

Die Hard

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please don't forget genetics in this debate, guys. I work out every bodypart once a week, I don't pay extra attention to any particular exercise, I just try to hit each of my muscles from different angles with different excersises. The result: My legs, back, pecs and shoulders have grown moderately but my arms (biceps, triceps and forearms) have grown considerably! My arms are my no.1 asset, they are proportionally bigger than my other bodyparts. This is pure genetics since I don't pay anymore attention to my arms than to other bodyparts.

I'm not saying that squatting will get you bigger arms nor am I denying it. But when people make this argument: "I see guys in the gym who never squat and still have big arms", keep in mind that they might just have a genetical advantage regarding the development of their arms.

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Who beyond the teenage age wants to have big arms anyway? Big arms compared to the rest of your body, that is. It looks rather stupid IMO. Like the guys carrying dumbells in their car trunks to pump up biceps before hitting the clubs Oo
Don't be one of those guys!

Rampage1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
genetics may play a role in the size of someones arms or how hard someone has to work to get them looking good, but squats dont give you big arms. Upperbody work and direct arm training gives you big arms. Squats are a nice little bonus.
Drum & Bass, how dare you post a picture of my body without my consent. I agree tho, my arms have shot up and inch in the last few weeks just by incorporating a little more direct arm work into the scence, that is not to say however that it is not imperative to concentrate on the compunds

Last edited:

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ThreeStorms said:
Like the guys carrying dumbells in their car trunks to pump up biceps before hitting the clubs Oo
Don't be one of those guys!
you're joking... please? tell me you're joking :confused:

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Cure said:
you're joking... please? tell me you're joking :confused:
Nay, I heard that from credible sources. Teenage boys driving around with dumbbells, wearing XS muscle shirts and pumping up their arms on the disco parking lot.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've seen guys come into the gym in clubbing clothes on Friday night, do a few set of bench press and curls, and leave.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I've seen guys come into the gym in clubbing clothes on Friday night, do a few set of bench press and curls, and leave.
you let them leave? :p

Cure.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^ I think he was talking about people who have disproportionately big arms. If you have big arms, chest and shoulders and small everything else, you're going to look ridiculous.

ThreeStorms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
^ I think he was talking about people who have disproportionately big arms. If you have big arms, chest and shoulders and small everything else, you're going to look ridiculous.
Yeah right, I was talking about those pretty boys with a ridiculous small frame but (moderatly) big guns - which they always show with some sleeveless dress shirts. You know immediatly that this guy does curls and not much else and has no clue about BB.