Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Sore Muscles Post workout...help

TheNonPedant

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, I do two body parts every other day, all of my exercises
I do 12 reps.

Thing is, I am very sore the next day or two after my workouts.
Sometimes the soreness affects my other workouts forcing me to lift lighter.

I'm guessing that my muscles aren't getting repaired quick enough....can anyone suggest something?

thanks

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ensure that your post-workout nutrition is totally nailed and you are getting enough sleep. That will help for starters. If you need to, alter your workout frequency so particular muscle groups have longer to recover.

You could also change you rep range from week to week, 12 or so as you do now one week then lower but heavier the next. I actually work on a 3 way rotation at the moment with 3 kinds of workout. Gives me plenty of recovery as I am only performing one type of workout every 3 weeks (18 days at present though).

I can post more details of the above another time if anyone is interested.

Post-workout nutrition: Glutamine immediately, 20-30 mins later whey protein - ideally hydrolyzed isolate (AST VP2 for example - my favourite), carbs at a ratio of at least 2:1 to the protein (eg 80g carbs and 40g protein). I actually make a mix of the VP2 and regular whey concentrate which is absorbed a little slower so I get the isolate in as quick as possible then a little slower uptake from the concentrate. If you combine with milk you will have a third protein source where the uptake is slower still although I personally prefer to mix my wheys with water or juice. The juice will give you the carbs.

Throw in two-three grams of Vitamin C and 400IU Vitamin E and some creatine.

Bear in mind the above is close to ideal recovery nutrition, get as close to it as you can. Keep the glutamine separate from the whey though unless you have the glutamine in peptide form.

Get home and have a high protein meal.

Lastly, make sure you have a thorough stretch after you train and some GENTLE cardio if you desire. You could take your glutamine as you do this leisurely recovery exercise.

Last edited:

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Muscle soreness is completely natural. Actually, if you're only sore for 1 or 2 days it's possible that you're not lifting as heavy as you could if you want to grow. But there are still things you can do to help muscle soreness.

Immediately after your workout take a carb drink like Ultra Fuel (or anything made of dextrose or maltodextrin, but NOT fructose and corn syrup - IE Gatorade). When you work out your muscles get depleted of glycogen; carb drinks will replenish them, allowing your muscles to recover and grow sooner. When you get home from the gym, have a high quality, protein rich meal. This should be your largest meal of the day.

Also as Templeton said, mega dose on Vitamin C. You can safely take 3 grams a day (should be 3 pills). Don't take them all at the same time or you won't be able to digest them. I think Vitamin C can make the biggest impact on recovery time.

Glutamine might help. It varies from person to person. I think it really depends on how much you already get in your diet (glutamic acid). As Templeton said, take it immediately after your workout for best results.

I'm not sure how vitamin E and creatine will help recovery though?

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vitamin E (with C) to help prevent free radical induced cellular damage and creatine for ATP recovery.