Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

REALLY need help with life-changing problem

AC/DC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sebastian and I'm 18 years young.

I live with my dad and my step-mom in the Bay Area. My cousin lives 40min away, and I'm there every weekend. All those people are really legit, don't ever take eachother's stuff, respect each other, and we make sure of it. I've made about 15 reliable friends in the span of 3 months. I've also been smoking a lot of dank recently, and realized it doesn't really help me do anything, so I'm about to stop.

My parents are pissed that I'm out on weekends, and I should be at home studying day and night, and doung laundry and cleaning all day. Hey, I'm not 13. I drive a car I bought for $1800, and it's literally falling apart. Bad control lines are basically making me veer off when I hit the gas, I almost died like 3 times already. They don't want to help me finance a car because I "don't deserve it". I think that a life-threatening car is more important than that. At least help me get something else. They have $2000 for a car, I'm trying to finance a nice car for about $11,000. I can afford monthly payments. If I sell my bucket, and save up some, I'll have a hefty down payment.

In any case, Im bout to get kicked out fo my house because my parents say I don't respect their house. I do. I'm always nice, clean, just not home alot. My dad is stubborn because he came from Communist Europe in his 30s and doesnt' really understand my needs... We've discussed this for over a year. I need to figure something out. I'd honestly rather move out.

Obviously I can't commute to work and school every day from my cousin's, where I can stay, because I get about $250 every two weeks, and my car is a bucket.

Ive been in community college for a year, my grades range from A to C. I don't really show up but study last minute and do fine on tests and I usually do all my homework. School is over in 3 weeks. I can't really drop out just yet. If I move with my cousin, I'll enroll in that community college next fall, I want to stay in school.

I'm thinking that I should stay at home till I'm done with school, then move out, get another car, bum off my cousin for a few weeks til I find a full time summer job. Having a place to stay won't be a problem, but affording everything will definitely be a problem. I need job suggestions. I am an excellent people person, I hate commission, my typing and electronical skills are average. I will need about $1800 a month to be able to live decently, because I'll only be paying insurance and eventually rent.

I'd really like to move out and live with my cousin, I see this as an opportunity to grow up. Real life is way more rewarding than being a teenager.

Not really sure how to plan this out, anybody been in any similar situations?

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In any case, Im bout to get kicked out fo my house because my parents say I don't respect their house. I do. I'm always nice, clean, just not home alot.
This is a sign of controlling parents. They need to realize that you're an adult now, and you need your freedom. Perhaps you could offer to pay them rent, but on the condition that you are able to keep your freedom. If they don't agree to that, then move out.

Also, a car usually isn't a necessity. Wouldn't you be able to use public transit until you're done school?

There's always a price to pay for freedom. You have to pick which price you're going to pay.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn, get cheap wheels, not some $11,000 car. You're f'n 18 with a crap job. You NEED to learn how to live WITHIN your means. First and foremost, do what you gotta do. If that means all you can afford is a friggin' Honda Spree... it's a ride and easy to smog, be greatful it doesn't rain more in the Bay. If you bite an $11,000 bullet now, it will retard your future profoundly. Buy a $3000 car and take the other $8000 into a long term CD or something, anything but a car. A car isn't a status symbol like most would like to claim, it's a gawdammned appliance first and foremost. Would you buy a $400 toaster? Hell no, not at 18.
Don't get into showboating with things bought on credit, it will kill you. I know plenty of guys who are still paying off crap they got when they were your age at 30. "Can I get a 20 year loan on this car? My credit card payments are too high to afford shorter term payments." WTF????

Don't be a retard that shows off for his buddies. Get some wheels that work, like a 90-91 civic. Sure, they're not pretty, but they are ultra-tuneable, economical, and dependable. All you friggin need.

The life changing scenario here is not you leaving home, it's not lack of a dependable ride, it's financial responsibility. What are you going to do now that you have to pay rent? Get a car payment? Not smart, one thing at a time. First the rent, on a place where you can walk to work if need be, then a ride - a nice one IF you can afford it. Can you afford a super nice ride and squirrel away 15% of every paycheck into your 401k? That is what you NEED to be doing, not trying to impress people with a car that's breaking you - that's ghetto.

"Gotta qwota tank a gaaaasssss.... in my new E-claaaasssss..."

duh. Money in your pockets? Or a nice car in your parents' driveway because you got kicked out of your apartment for missing rent? Ladies will be ultra-impressed when you pick them up for a date and hit them up for a fiver for some gas - smooth playboy.

chickenlegs03

Banned
Reaction score
i don't know about the rest, but save your money and buy a scooter instead. they get 80-120 miles/gallon, and with gas prices rising steadily, you don't want to be emptying your pockets at the pump. i'm getting myself a nice little honda scooter, for about $2k max, including all the accessories and fees...and that's with everything brand new.

^yeah, vulpine is right...live within your means.

djbr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
Damn, get cheap wheels, not some $11,000 car. You're f'n 18 with a crap job. You NEED to learn how to live WITHIN your means. First and foremost, do what you gotta do. If that means all you can afford is a friggin' Honda Spree... it's a ride and easy to smog, be greatful it doesn't rain more in the Bay. If you bite an $11,000 bullet now, it will retard your future profoundly. Buy a $3000 car and take the other $8000 into a long term CD or something, anything but a car. A car isn't a status symbol like most would like to claim, it's a gawdammned appliance first and foremost. Would you buy a $400 toaster? Hell no, not at 18.
Don't get into showboating with things bought on credit, it will kill you. I know plenty of guys who are still paying off crap they got when they were your age at 30. "Can I get a 20 year loan on this car? My credit card payments are too high to afford shorter term payments." WTF????

Don't be a retard that shows off for his buddies. Get some wheels that work, like a 90-91 civic. Sure, they're not pretty, but they are ultra-tuneable, economical, and dependable. All you friggin need.

The life changing scenario here is not you leaving home, it's not lack of a dependable ride, it's financial responsibility. What are you going to do now that you have to pay rent? Get a car payment? Not smart, one thing at a time. First the rent, on a place where you can walk to work if need be, then a ride - a nice one IF you can afford it. Can you afford a super nice ride and squirrel away 15% of every paycheck into your 401k? That is what you NEED to be doing, not trying to impress people with a car that's breaking you - that's ghetto.

"Gotta qwota tank a gaaaasssss.... in my new E-claaaasssss..."

duh. Money in your pockets? Or a nice car in your parents' driveway because you got kicked out of your apartment for missing rent? Ladies will be ultra-impressed when you pick them up for a date and hit them up for a fiver for some gas - smooth playboy.
SOUND ADVICE.

I had a POS car when I was 19, but it worked pretty well. I made the MISTAKE of buying a shiny new one mainly because my (at the time) GF was turning 18 and plus, able to drive. Her father gave her a EXPENSIVE car and I felt I was lagging. What a fvckin' idiot I was.

In the end, I couldn't afford the new car and had to get rid of it. And it took some time to get rid of the debt.

Don't do it. It's better to have no transportation and money in your pockets than waste it all just to show off for some girl who doesn't care about your life anyway. Think about yourself.