Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Public Speaking: You either got it or you don't?

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I noticed some people are very good at it and others are horrible at it (e.g. too many ummms and Ahhh's and just lousy voice projection)

I know there are some things you can tweak to make yourself better, but to me that is one of those things where you are either good/great or bad/mediocre and you can't change.

Thoughts?

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I noticed some people are very good at it and others are horrible at it (e.g. too many ummms and Ahhh's and just lousy voice projection)

I know there are some things you can tweak to make yourself better, but to me that is one of those things where you are either good/great or bad/mediocre and you can't change.

Thoughts?
People get better at what they do

Deep State

Don Juan
Reaction score
Toastmasters is great if you're specifically looking at public speaking. They probably already do this, but be sure to ask them to take a video of you - at least for prepared formal speeches.

A few indirect but also good options:
community theater - prepare and try out for a speaking role
take an acting class
singing - try out for an a cappella group
take a singing class
speech and debate team

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1)Take acting class
2)Toastmaster
3) be involved in social clubs at work or "clubs at school"

Every skills can be learn. Its not the natural who wins, it's the people who work their skills the most and best

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It’s like everything else, it is something you get better at with practice. If you want to get better check out your local Toastmasters.
As he said, it can be taught. Watching speakers and being taught speaking techniques help. It also helps to have a lot of confidence so your speech doesnt seem practiced. Trump manages to blend practiced speech with authentic patterns likely cause he is use to being in front of people already. Most politicians are more introverted and usually don't come from a place where they have to be face fronting with people 24/7. And they lack charisma and soul. I'd argue politicians would do well taking acting classes and some improv, but I think the real issue with public speakers is that you can tell when what they're saying isn't coming from the heart.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Thoughts?
No, it's learned. There are many instances of people who are very good at it now that were horrible or even were people who stuttered when they started out.

People who are serious about it will hire people to coach them.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're Pee Wee Herman you're never going to sound like Barry White. So there are limitations, but anyone can get decent at public speaking.

Serenity

Reaction score
It's a learned skill. The only thing separating the "naturals" from those who suddenly start practicing is that the naturals have practiced it for years unintentionally as a part of their daily lives.

Some have done public speaking for years and still suck, but that boils down to them being unaware of how bad they are or not caring about improving. There's plenty of people who call something good enough and stay mediocre, but that's a "won't change", not "can't change".

Anyone can get good at it if they just have the motivation as a base.

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is a learned skill... like any learned skill done start at a slightly higher level.

I would imagine that extroverts have an easier time becoming good public speakers. I remember my first public speaking class in college. First day... in front of nearly 100 strangers having to improv a 5 minute intro while standing in front of everyone. I was a mess ... by the end of the class I was actually excited to get up and talk.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was really good at it in my teens. Did a few sermons and a high school graduation speech. I would practice in front of the mirror. Then to a few close relatives.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I’ve mentioned elsewhere either register at a CC (in the US) and take a public speaking class. Or join Toastmasters, the latter is free, the former is low cost, higher return because of being on a college campus.

DoubleBarrel

Banned
Reaction score
The Alexander Technique; the secret to unlocking the power of the voice for force, conviction and enthusiasm in public speaking. Just ask George Benard Shaw!

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your perception of your ability is not a reflection of how good you are either. I've done public speaking before where I was nervous and thought it went bad, when most people I was lecturing to thought I was one of the better ones. This was part of an organized effort in a university class.

Get feedback from people, and it's better if you don't know them all that well since they might be more honest with you.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of TED talks and how they deliver their species comes in very handy I finally got over my first speaking gradually but painfully

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
As I mentioned previously, the modalities I’ve shared are great for feedback: you’re graded by attempt. They also teach you to be quick on your feet when you take questions in some delivery styles.

I got better in C-level interaction in corporate almost magically after a year or so of college level courses and more casual toastmasters meetings.

Learning how to gracefully deal with opposing viewpoints and scrutiny is key.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Video tape yourself I was a wreck during my first speech but got better afterwards.