Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Pre Lifting - Weight Question

InExtremis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've had a read of Diesel's post on bulking up which I wanna try, but I was wondering if I should lose a little weight first. I know that its alright to have a bit of fat for extra volume but I think im maybe a little too pudgy. Anyway im 5'10" and 84kg (?? pounds). Ive got a medium build with naturally fairly broad shoulders and ive been told I have a nice body by a couple of chicks in the last 6 months (A few games of drunken strip poker etc.) which has made me think twice about losing weight. Anyway should I lose some weight through cardio first (most of you could probably estimate from my height and weight) or should I hit the weights and let muscle compensate for a the additional fat over time?
Im not going for the "large" look, just a slight - medium muscular shape thats not scrawny (which is kinda impossible given my current build) but not Arnie S. style.

I know some of you more knowledgable are getting a little pi55ed off at repeated questions, but I was looking for an answer thats sorta tailored for me.

Cheers for the Help.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting + 3 times a week an intense cardio session (running for 5 minutes, walking fast for 5, repeat) of 20 minutes is the best way to go.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried dropping fat with cardio and diet after a 1 yr hiatus from the gym. Stayed with it for a couple of months and didn't see the results I wanted, so I went to bulking instead.

I eat like a horse and do no cardio, but I think for my body type heavy weight training really kicks up my ability to get in shape.

I say hit the weights for a couple of months THEN go for the fat loss. The extra few pounds of muscle will help burn the extra cals needed to drop the fat.

Good luck.

2N Turbo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say lose the weight first. Then start bulking, because you will gain alittle fat by doing this. Nothing is more encouraging then seeing your body change, which is easier if your not covered with fat. Best way to lose the fat. Is taking less calories and doing cardio 4x a week and some moderate lifting, include some intense cardio like AiKen said to spare muscle.

InExtremis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I hafta say I am the sorta person that would give up if I didnt see any changes in the first few months so maybe fat loss is the way to at the start, however Str8up's suggestion of keeping a little fat might not be too bad. If im a beginner, what sort of weights should I get, I was thinking free weights to begin with but whats a good weight to start with?

Cheers again.