Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

need some helpful advice on retail sales at a fashion store

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm writing this, asking for some help, tips, and opinions from people who have worked in retail sales, managed people under retail sales etc.

today i went to the mall, looking for a job, and ran into this young girl who was fiiine, HB 8. she instantly eye contact, waved me over and we had a nice conversation, introduced herself so forth etc. (thats what sales people do i guess).

anyway, i managed to score a trial run tomorrow, and she insisted on me coming and doing my trial during her shift at the retail store, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding how to impress and dazzle (workwise) them into hiring me, heh.

i know the standard be polite, ask the customer for help. i was wondering if anyone with a background in retail sales etc could give me some pointers and so forth. thanks alot fellas

FlawlessBadBoy

Don Juan
Reaction score
polite will only get you so far. You need to "PU" ur customer in a way. Conenct with them. Have you ever been to a store and the people there joked and talked with you? You probably go there a lot huh. That's what you want to do to your customers. Draw them into the fun world of "insert retail store name."

For a good example, go to a popular retail store with semi attractive workers, and see how they work their consumer audience.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks alot flawless bad boy, thats so true

when i went into this particular store, the chick was really friendly and a little flirty with me, asked me about myself etc. it made a world of difference to the other stores who were just like "leave ur resume"

so taking the time to chat em up is good.... but u reckon i should be doing alot of that in the 1 hour trial run i got tomororw?

any more tips, keep it coming, thanks for the tips

FlawlessBadBoy

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can, try to spend a good minute or two chatting with your customers. Since it's just a trial, they want to see how you interact with their customers. 2 minutes may seem long, but it is more than enough time to establish enough rapport with your customer to not only make a sale, but encourage customer loyalty as well. Be the "fun sociable guy" that people travel to the mall and that store on the SMALL chance that you will be working so they can share a pice of themselves with you.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks again flawless

any tips on wat kinda idle chat to crap on about?

"how was your day..... how was the weather?"

so talking about things that don't really relate to the retail shop itself?

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends. What department you going into?

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ph00k
thanks again flawless

any tips on wat kinda idle chat to crap on about?

"how was your day..... how was the weather?"

so talking about things that don't really relate to the retail shop itself?
If that is to the customer, that is not a good idea. When selling, keep it based on items UNTIL you are ringing them up. Complete the sell, THEN get into useless basic talk for a minute. If you pull attention from the sale, consider it shot.

Also, learn how to read a customer. That way, you'll have an idea what they might look for and can point out some good items.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
its a fashion retail store, giordano

pretty small store

FlawlessBadBoy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nah it doesn't really matter. Just establish a little rapport with them and you'll be fine. Get em to smile and watch how much easier it will be for you to talk to them. Familiarity breeds comfort. get familiar with them, and they will become comfortable with you, the store, and spending money AT that store. Oh and... if it would sound lame sayin it to a hot chick... don't say it to a customer. Especiall since your whole goal is to "sale" close them, not marry them.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
eternal wrote:
Also, learn how to read a customer. That way, you'll have an idea what they might look for and can point out some good items.
its only a 1hr trial run tomorrow.... and i'm not entirely familiar with the giordano line. u reckon i should be giving advice, or just facilitating their needs, as in "get me a size 8!"

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by FlawlessBadBoy
Nah it doesn't really matter. Just establish a little rapport with them and you'll be fine. Get em to smile and watch how much easier it will be for you to talk to them. Familiarity breeds comfort. get familiar with them, and they will become comfortable with you, the store, and spending money AT that store. Oh and... if it would sound lame sayin it to a hot chick... don't say it to a customer. Especiall since your whole goal is to "sale" close them, not marry them.
A little rappaport is fine, but asking "how was your day" or "hows the weather?" is NOT good. Something like "Hectic Christmas shopping?" or "Whew, crazy day in here ain't it?" Something that gets them a little smile or something that relates to shopping is gold. Just today, I was running around the stockroom in the shoe section and said to one women "it's hectic back there...Shoes like to hide everywhere" and she laughed and was more open to compliments on the shoe.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks alot eternal and flawless, that was gold,

any more tips / ideas?

was just speaking to a colleague of mine who worked in retail before. and her tips went along the lines of getting a feel for the store to know where everything is

but thats gold "hectic christmas shopping hey?" heheheh, any more gold ones like that eternal? i'll make sure to link what i saw to shopping

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Jeeze, where are the elves when you need em?"
I like that one. An add on to that can be:

"See how packed our store is?" *Customer agrees and nods* "Yeah, perfect time for those elves to go on a coffee break!"

Or if you notice a husband and wife couple walking around, as long as they are smiling, use this if the wife is shopping for something and asks for your opinion:

"Well, it doesn't quite bring out the color of your husbands eyes, but with the right *insert other item of clothing,* it'd look great on you for *bussiness or casual.*"

Also, DO NOT kino a customer. Never! I noticed tonight when one associate leaned in a little too close (not touching though) a customer, the customer was put back some.

When you see a customer who might need help, say "Hello, may I help you?" Usually you'll get a smile and "Nah, I'm just looking." Give them something to set yourself apart. Say with a smile:

"Well, if you do find something that catches your eye, don't hesitate to ask for the strikingly handsome associate wearing a *insert piece of clothing you have on.*"

FlawlessBadBoy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I can tell from your post that you think quickly o nyour feet Eternal. Do you often find yourself talking about impromptu C&F things with women instead of the usual LAMEASS things we see here everyday.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can tell from your post that you think quickly o nyour feet Eternal. Do you often find yourself talking about impromptu C&F things with women instead of the usual LAMEASS things we see here everyday.
I think very quickly on my feet, but only because I've practiced a lot. I can relate to nearly anyone about anything (or atleast act like I can :p )

*Shrugs* I guess. I don't really pay attention to what I say to women. Must be why I have a lot of female friends.

To ph00k:

If you can think on your feet quickly, you should be gold for the job. If you can't, say so here and I'll give you some situations and lines (and hopefully other people will too) that you can try and use.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Awesome. Many people look over the fact that quick thinkin beats routines any day.
Yeah, especially for sales people. Too many people I know at the place I work use the same lines or those "Tv lines" that work great on a tv show...But flop in real life.

If you want to be successful, learn to read people a bit, think quickly, work hard, be quick, and be able to multi-task.

ph00k

Don Juan
Reaction score
i was a pretty good quick thinker back in the day
debates, public speaking, yadda yadda yadda

but i think i've gotten rusty lately, because prior to this job i was doing customer phonecalling with the standard boring same response

any ideas u guys got to throw at me would be really helpful guys