Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Macked it to a younger woman in a bookstore (first time)

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 45 and I don't think I ever tried hitting on a woman in a bookstore nor did the opportunity ever present itself (until tonight)

Anyhow:

They have a Starbucks Cafe in the Barnes and Noble (Central Jersey) and I was reading a magazine. I just happened to look up and a well-dressed petite Latina (about a HB7 and anywhere from 25 to 33) was about 15 yards away by a book aisle. We looked at each other and she gave a slight smile (was it benign friendliness? did she think I was attractive and that is why she smiled?)

Anyhow, it was eating at me for a few minutes, and I was saying to myself

"You have to talk to this girl..."You are a 45 year old man for Christ's sake, Don't be shy....etc, etc".

but........

"how do I do it"? "I can't look like I am following her around" A few minutes later I went over to the magazines, and she was there. We passed by each other, and she didn't look at me at all, but I didn't give up just yet.

A few minutes later still I saw her over by the Star-bucks counter ordering a drink and I said to myself "Let me grab another magazine and go back over to the cafe area and sit down" (it's the only seating in the place so it was a smooth move) "This was my last chance, or I would look like a creep for sure!"

As I was doing this (magazine in hand) she passed by me again to go the counter to wait and get her drink. We smiled at each other and I said to her (not knowing what else to say)......."What kind of coffee did you get"? She seemed taken aback that I said something to her and she replied "a frappucino", I lifted mine up and said "Espresso, it's pretty good".

Turns out she was from Chicago and was back in NJ to get a copy of her birth certificate. The whole conversation lasted about 90 seconds (talked about Chicago and she said her Mom lives there and her Dad in NJ) and it did feel a bit awkward (a few seconds with silence) and she only asked me one question in the beginning which was "Do you come here often"? and I asked all of the questions.

She was cordial the whole time, but not really flirty and my gut feeling told me she wasn't into the conversation (it was borderline)

The fact she lives out of state I decided to abort mission by saying "Well, have a good night" turned around continued to sit down. As I said earlier, it maybe lasted 60 to 90 seconds.

I think my conversation skills could of been a little better (think I asked her the same question 2x) but I am very proud of myself making the move in a non-traditional setting where women don't expect to be hit on.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Serenity

Reaction score
We looked at each other and she gave a slight smile (was it benign friendliness? did she think I was attractive and that is why she smiled?)
This happens to me every single day and it's always friendliness. In fact I'm at the other end of it often and I'm the one giving the smile, but I'm just being friendly.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one uses the term "macking" or "macked" anymore. That's 1990s slang.

Central New Jersey is a mating wasteland. That's really more of a coffee shop approach than a bookstore approach. A lot of bookstores now have coffee shops in them so the lines are blurred.

I found bookstore approaching in the aisles with books to be semi difficult.

I think my conversation skills could of been a little better (think I asked her the same question 2x) but I am very proud of myself making the move in a non-traditional setting where women don't expect to be hit on.
You need a starting point. Doing the approach was better than not doing the approach. A lot of conversations fizzle out like that, even from skilled seducers.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I commend you for making a move.

If you don't want to feel nervous then the answer is to looksmax. Make sure you're fit, clean and have good overall facial presentation.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This happens to me every single day and it's always friendliness. In fact I'm at the other end of it often and I'm the one giving the smile, but I'm just being friendly.
I don't go around smiling at women I don't find attractive

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, I'd tease the girl about whatever item she's browsing. "I wouldn't read that if I were you" or along those lines. Needless to say, have a follow up line ready.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am 45 and I don't think I ever tried hitting on a woman in a bookstore nor did the opportunity ever present itself (until tonight)

Anyhow:

They have a Starbucks Cafe in the Barnes and Noble (Central Jersey) and I was reading a magazine. I just happened to look up and a well-dressed petite Latina (about a HB7 and anywhere from 25 to 33) was about 15 yards away by a book aisle. We looked at each other and she gave a slight smile (was it benign friendliness? did she think I was attractive and that is why she smiled?)

Anyhow, it was eating at me for a few minutes, and I was saying to myself

"You have to talk to this girl..."You are a 45 year old man for Christ's sake, Don't be shy....etc, etc".

but........

"how do I do it"? "I can't look like I am following her around" A few minutes later I went over to the magazines, and she was there. We passed by each other, and she didn't look at me at all, but I didn't give up just yet.

A few minutes later still I saw her over by the Star-bucks counter ordering a drink and I said to myself "Let me grab another magazine and go back over to the cafe area and sit down" (it's the only seating in the place so it was a smooth move) "This was my last chance, or I would look like a creep for sure!"

As I was doing this (magazine in hand) she passed by me again to go the counter to wait and get her drink. We smiled at each other and I said to her (not knowing what else to say)......."What kind of coffee did you get"? She seemed taken aback that I said something to her and she replied "a frappucino", I lifted mine up and said "Espresso, it's pretty good".

Turns out she was from Chicago and was back in NJ to get a copy of her birth certificate. The whole conversation lasted about 90 seconds (talked about Chicago and she said her Mom lives there and her Dad in NJ) and it did feel a bit awkward (a few seconds with silence) and she only asked me one question in the beginning which was "Do you come here often"? and I asked all of the questions.

She was cordial the whole time, but not really flirty and my gut feeling told me she wasn't into the conversation (it was borderline)

The fact she lives out of state I decided to abort mission by saying "Well, have a good night" turned around continued to sit down. As I said earlier, it maybe lasted 60 to 90 seconds.

Thoughts?
It's good that you approached her but you should have tried to close rather than going into auto-rejection mode at the end.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's good that you approached her but you should have tried to close rather than going into auto-rejection mode at the end.
True, but not sure if she was feeling it and the fact she lived in Chicago, I bailed.