Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Im thinking of getting a dog.

Travel memoir21

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one to tag along with me on my daily walks around the neighborhood and parks.

What do you guys recommend?

Should I volunteer at an animal shelter first? Or should I get one at a pet shop?

What are the best breeds that's good to take on walks and behaves great indoors and outdoors?

Thanks and cheers.

Romanemp22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have the time and space I'd say go for it, it's a nice companionship to have. I have a friend who have German Shepard and he's amazing, really intelligent, protective and loyal dog.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having a dog isn't something you do on a whim. If you get a pup or young one, you have an average of a 12 year commitment ahead of you.

Once you are certain, go to an animal shelter and take your time. If you see one and feel a certain bonding, go from there.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dogs are cool. All the stuff that are good everyone knows. I always and do have them.

some negatives.
a. time, it is a live creature with a mind. even if you don't feel like it, still should be taken care of.
b. travel, going overnight or for a week to a place that doesn't like dogs. have to find a dog sitter to care for him or a friend. either way, another thing to do when travel.
c. have a yard with nice plants and decorated.. Add a puppy or older dog of some breeds and that yard will look different really fast.

If you don't have time to spend always with the dog, get two so they can play together.

think about your space, small dog fits in a small space. a big dog likes big space.

read up on the different types, some can tolerate different things. some breed will attack everything, others nothing...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Working breeds like the gsd especially need a job, or else they will find one for themselves, like barking nonstop or destroying everything you own. I will probably always own one, but I can spend time with the dog and not lock it in an apartment all day. If you work a 9 to 5 and no one is there to care for the dog during the day, an older, docile shelter dog would make you much happier.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one to tag along with me on my daily walks around the neighborhood and parks.

What do you guys recommend?

Should I volunteer at an animal shelter first? Or should I get one at a pet shop?

What are the best breeds that's good to take on walks and behaves great indoors and outdoors?

Thanks and cheers.
From what I've read and the experiences of friends, I would avoid pet shops. Not that you can't love a dog from a pet shop, but they are puppy mills with a push strategy (doggie in the window) and probably not the best breeding practices. If I got a dog I'd go to a shelter or a professional breeder first.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll echo what others said, any kind of animal is a commitment, dogs especially because they need to be let out.

Shelter dogs can be great, or they can be terrible. I have friends that got one and they turned out to be nervous wrecks that will piss themselves at the first noise they don't like, or they can hate a specific gender that they have a traumatic experience with, or they can bark all day and night. volunteering at a shelter is a good way to get an idea for a dog's temperament and not pick a nutcase.

Personally, I would go for a breed because you can expect a certain level of intelligence and temperament. Some breeds are also prone to health problems, which you should screen for.

As for breed recommendations, you should specify where you live, how much room you have available. I'm partial to larger dogs but I don't live in a place where that is either yard size or space to have one.

If you get a puppy, you'll get tail. Women love puppies, except in covid times that might not work. Although this is not a reason to get a dog, just a plus.