Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I told a female colleague she was the ‘mother of the office’

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So if one guy in the office decides to bring the post up from the reception every morning out of his choice, and after saying thank you I say to him 'you are like the postman of the office', is that offensive?

Why is jokingly giving a role, offensive? I want to get down to why this is actually offensive and unprofessional? What is the reason for this etiquette? What does it prevent, what does it achieve?
You would have to ask the woman why she was offended, I can't speak for her.

I didn't say it was offensive on its own but that it was unprofessional. She took offense.

Same with your hypothetical postman.

If someone called you something and you didn't like it, that's your right. This kind of stuff is in the eye of the beholder. I do think the guy who chimed in was sort of a douche since it had nothing to do with him.

Reminds me...

I worked in an office once where this other guy, around my age, would try to subtly pull rank on me by calling me "Little Buddy." It sounds like a term of endearment but it was also, I could tell, his way of trying to diminish me - at least that's how I saw it. Maybe he wasn't.

One day in front of everyone we crossed paths and he said "Hey, Little Buddy."

I said in my best sarcastic voice, "Heyyyy....Skipper." (This is a Gilligan's Island reference in case you don't know.)

The whole office erupted in laughter and I don't think he ever called me that again.