Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Has weightlifting changed

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been back lifting for about 3 months.
i lifted a lot in my late 20s and early 30s.

When I was into it, the advice was for big compound moves. Squats, deadlifts etc.

It’s what I do now and love it.

what I’ve noticed back at gym these days, is that most of the advanced guys and novices use benches with dumbbells mainly.

i always like the rack. A place where I can do squats,rows etc.

it seems the only people on the racks now are chicks doing endless squats (I presume to achieve the fashionable Oxen-like @ss which is so popular on IG these days!)

has bodybuilding advice changed? Why aren’t weightlifters doing compounds?

or is this some weird anomaly with my gym?

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Body building advice now is doing 6 day per week “bro splits.” You’ll do one body part per day “hammering it” until failure. The people advising these splits are either selling you protein supplements or personal training sessions.

No one teaches barbell lifts because they are difficult. You have to go to cross fit to get that kind of work.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Body building advice now is doing 6 day per week “bro splits.” You’ll do one body part per day “hammering it” until failure. The people advising these splits are either selling you protein supplements or personal training sessions.

No one teaches barbell lifts because they are difficult. You have to go to cross fit to get that kind of work.
How are they difficult? Yes, squatting has a technique, but it’s not that hard.

Are you saying I’m on the right track and I’m not doing an old outmoded method?

here’s my routine (every other day all 2x10):

squats
Stiff leg deadlift
Military press
Bench press
Bent over row
Curls
Calf raise
Crunches

I am cutting hence Lower volume. Takes about 40 mins

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bro splits are an effective routine. Though what I see mainly pushed now-a-days is Push Pull Legs. I've been meaning to switch, but it's hard when you're stuck in your ways...

The way one trains depends on their goal. Bodybuilding would be slightly higher rep range around 12 reps focusing on hypertrophy, while powerlifting is 6 or less reps focusing on weight. Both would require progressive overload (adding weight or reps) over time.

I think your chosen exercises are solid, for general strength and getting a solid base started. I'd probably switch the crunches with leg lifts, swap bent over rows with t bar rows and meadows rows. Get a bicep blaster also.... Awesome piece of gear for 20 dollars. I'd add sumo dead lifts.

I'd look into splitting up your routine to Pull Push Legs. and do that 3 times a week or add another day... You could still hit all the major compound lifts, and also add some exercises .

Legs
Squats,
Barbell Lunges
Romanian Deadlifts - It's not good to do a full lockout like stiff leg deadlifts
Glute bridges
Calf raises,
This leg day is similar to what I've been doing

Push
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Landmine press
Dumbbell Flyes
Close Grip Pin Press or Tricep Dips

Pull
Sumo Deadlifts
T-bar rows
Bicep Curls
Meadows Rows
Hyper extensions
Hammer Curls
Shoulder shrugs

Something like this would be better than your current routine.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bro splits are an effective routine. Though what I see mainly pushed now-a-days is Push Pull Legs. I've been meaning to switch, but it's hard when you're stuck in your ways...

The way one trains depends on their goal. Bodybuilding would be slightly higher rep range around 12 reps focusing on hypertrophy, while powerlifting is 6 or less reps focusing on weight. Both would require progressive overload (adding weight or reps) over time.

I think your chosen exercises are solid, for general strength and getting a solid base started. I'd probably switch the crunches with leg lifts, swap bent over rows with t bar rows and meadows rows. Get a bicep blaster also.... Awesome piece of gear for 20 dollars. I'd add sumo dead lifts.

I'd look into splitting up your routine to Pull Push Legs. and do that 3 times a week or add another day... You could still hit all the major compound lifts, and also add some exercises .

Legs
Squats,
Barbell Lunges
Romanian Deadlifts - It's not good to do a full lockout like stiff leg deadlifts
Glute bridges
Calf raises,
This leg day is similar to what I've been doing

Push
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Landmine press
Dumbbell Flyes
Close Grip Pin Press or Tricep Dips

Pull
Sumo Deadlifts
T-bar rows
Bicep Curls
Meadows Rows
Hyper extensions
Hammer Curls
Shoulder shrugs

Something like this would be better than your current routine.
ah, I don’t lock my legs in the stiff leg, they are bent slightly. A little like a golf stance.

Thanks for the input, I have a good 25 lbs to go before I start to build but I will consider this approach once I start to build.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Olympic back squats, cannot beat them, best core exercise ever. Only followed by the preacher bench then the press, IMO.

RBK

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I cannot do the heavy compound lifts anymore in fear of injuring myself honestly so I've backed it down to bro splits and cardio. The days of me deadlifting are over with this back.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been back lifting for about 3 months.
i lifted a lot in my late 20s and early 30s.

When I was into it, the advice was for big compound moves. Squats, deadlifts etc.

It’s what I do now and love it.

what I’ve noticed back at gym these days, is that most of the advanced guys and novices use benches with dumbbells mainly.

i always like the rack. A place where I can do squats,rows etc.

it seems the only people on the racks now are chicks doing endless squats (I presume to achieve the fashionable Oxen-like @ss which is so popular on IG these days!)

has bodybuilding advice changed? Why aren’t weightlifters doing compounds?

or is this some weird anomaly with my gym?
Bodybuilding advice has changed but the principles that produce results have not. Squat, bench, deadlifts, overhead presses, rows, power cleans, pull-up, and dips will always be the best and most efficient ways of gaining general mass and strength. What has changed the most is the internet and social media. Many influencers have something to sell and are also under pressure to give us a continuous stream of content. I coach collegiate athletes and sometimes the biggest challenge is the influencers and the clickbait influencing my athletes and allowing doubt to creep in. Like I tell my kids, the best strength routine is always going to be the one you're not doing. Stick with the basics and be consistent and you'll have 80% of your competition beat.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
How are they difficult? Yes, squatting has a technique, but it’s not that hard.

here’s my routine (every other day all 2x10):

squats
Stiff leg deadlift
Military press
Bench press
Bent over row
Curls
Calf raise
Crunches

I am cutting hence Lower volume. Takes about 40 mins
I see nothing wrong with your routine and your 2x10 set/reps especially if you are doing every other day. The biggest concern is are you adding weight either every workout or every other workout? If not, you should be. And if you are then this routine is going to have a very short shelf life. This is definitely a beginner routine but there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are making gains. By every other day you mean each lift is getting 8 sets and 80 reps per week and that you are not working out on the same days in 2 consecutive weeks. If it is the same days each week then it is 6 sets of 60 reps. If this is the case than I'm no longer a fan of your above workout. I find that 6-9 sets per muscle group per week to be ideal. Reps depend on goals but no matter the reps, you should be giving maximum effort. Cutting has more to do with the fork than it does your workout. I can shred on 3 sets of 6 rep and walking twice a day just as easy as blasting my muscles with high sets and reps with intense cardio.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
And if you stall you can deload or get fractionals.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with your routine and your 2x10 set/reps especially if you are doing every other day. The biggest concern is are you adding weight either every workout or every other workout? If not, you should be. And if you are then this routine is going to have a very short shelf life. This is definitely a beginner routine but there is nothing wrong with that as long as you are making gains. By every other day you mean each lift is getting 8 sets and 80 reps per week and that you are not working out on the same days in 2 consecutive weeks. If it is the same days each week then it is 6 sets of 60 reps. If this is the case than I'm no longer a fan of your above workout. I find that 6-9 sets per muscle group per week to be ideal. Reps depend on goals but no matter the reps, you should be giving maximum effort. Cutting has more to do with the fork than it does your workout. I can shred on 3 sets of 6 rep and walking twice a day just as easy as blasting my muscles with high sets and reps with intense cardio.
every other day - so it changes the weekday each week.

I am most definitely adding weight,