Espi's Fitbook

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This won't be a fitness journal detailing only the sets and reps of my workouts.

My Fitbook will be an amalgamation of EVERYTHING pertaining to fitness: one-liners and essays pertaining to random thoughts, ideas, observations, motivations, passions, fitness trends, rants, raves, and yes--an occasional recording of my actual workout.

The ultimate purpose of this thing is to motivate, stir, and get people thinking about all angles of fitness.

A thinkingman's approach to the iron.

Feel free to comment. I welcome your input.

Last edited:

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Frank Zane

--A Breed Apart--

I'll spend hours reading autobiographies, biographies, articles, and interviews about people living unconventional lives. Which for me usually means rock stars, politicians, and athletes.

Lately, though, my voracious reading has somehow meandered to 1960's and 1970's-era bodybuilders.

Keep in mind that back in the late 1960's, lifting weights and packing muscle was still largely regarded as deep fringe stuff--kind of like the stigma of the longhair. In the late 60's, you could get your a$$ beat just for just looking like a hippie. Of course, not many rebelrousers would dare start a fight with a 250-lb. ripped and muscular bodybuilder. But still. If you lifted weights and were picky about your food, you were ostracized for it. "Narcissist" was (and still is) synonymous with bodybuilder. Devotion to weights and diet were for freaks, and the now-common jargons like "carbs" and "ripped" and "jacked" were far from being coined, let alone used.

Hardly anybody seemed to be lifting weights regularly back then. The occasional film star like Clint Eastwood sported a respectable-enough physique, but he and other TV tough-guys like Charles Bronson seemed to get by more on facial scowls, bloodlusting mean tempers, and heavy handguns. They certainly weren't advocating the iron, let alone "proper diet."

So in my mind, these classic bodybuilders were a breed apart. They operated WAY outside of the mainstream, but they developed a unique craft-philosophy that still impacts the way dudes are thinking and (especially) looking today.

One rogue bodybuilder who intrigues me is Frank Zane. http://www.legendaryfitness.com/ZaneMrA1968.jpg

For those who might not know:

Frank Zane won the coveted 1968 Mr. Olympia in Miami, at 5'9", 190 lbs.--defeating a 6'2" 250-lb. Arnold Schwarzenegger. What impresses me even more is what Zane did in the minutes AFTER he won. In the minutes following his Mr. O victory over Arnold, during the trophy presentation, actually, Zane basically told Joe Weider to go fvuck himself when Weider intimated that Zane should praise Weider for winning the trophy. That took a helluva lotta guts, in my opinion.

For those who don't know, Weider was THE bodybuilding industry go-to guy when it came to bodybuilding marketing. Weider had a monopoly on all things bodybuilding--this included virtually all publishing, equipment, and supplements. If you wanted to make any money in bodybuilding in the late 1960's, then you really wanted to be connected to Weider.

If Zane would have simply kissed Weider's a$$, it's very possible today that we'd all be talking a bit more about Frank Zane and a little less about The Terminator. But Zane was stubborn and virtuous--as men who live life on their own terms often are. So, despite defeating a man 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier, Zane ended up driving back from the Miami Mr. Olympia show to St. Petersburg to resume teaching middle school math (in a school building that was not air conditioned, by the way), while Arnold ended up flying with Joe Weider to California to embark on a professionally sponsored bodybuilding career. The entire story about Zane's 1968 Olympia victory can be read here: http://www.universalusa.com/Community/Live/Articles/The-Florida-Years-1966-1968?ref=.

Many years later Zane admitted that he "should have listened" to Weider. After returning to St. Pete, Zane fell into a depression and gained 15 pounds and lost significant muscle and definition in the weeks following his Mr. Olympia victory.

But virtuous men who struggle often find a way to bounce back--and Zane bounced back BIG. Well--maybe not that big in pounds, but indeed VERY big in character. Zane would go on to win the Mr. Olympia in 1977, 1978, and 1979--an amazing 11-year run featuring 4 prestigious Mr. O titles. He never weighed more than 200 pounds, off or on season--and as the many hundreds of photos on the Internet will attest, he ALWAYS looked symmetrically ripped and muscular. He was 35 years old when he won his last Mr. Olympia award, and even today, in his 70's, the guy looks pretty dam good. He's always been known as having the "most realistic" build of all the professional elite classic bodybuilders. Can you imagine today's IFBB champ weighing 190 pounds? NO WAY.

Zane is a retired schoolteacher who has two MBA's; has been married for 40 + years; and has authored several fitness books. Yeah I know--I'm not a big fan of marriage, either. But for him to have stayed with the same woman for that long, and to have denied himself that much pvussy over the years--that says to me that he is a man of amazing discipline and strength. An exceptional man.

A breed part, in my opinion.

Here are some excerpts from a 2008 interview that impress me. http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-legend-of-zane-an-interview.html

Abs:

"I always worked abs every day, and did a good 400 and upward for total reps of abs. Before a contest, I’d move that up to as many as 1,000 reps a day.Usually crunches and/or Roman-chair situps for upper abs. Leg raises or hanging knee-ups for upper abs, seated twists for obliques. Not only did it give me great abs, but it gave me great upper-quad separation."

Cardio:

I didn’t do much in the way of cardio; maybe two hours a week.

Heavy Lifting

"It gave me mass, but I’ll tell you one thing: if I had to do it all over again, I don’t think I would have done it. It just gets you injured. You’re just focusing on the weight and often ignoring the subtle signs your body is giving you and once you’ve hurt yourself, that’s it. It never really goes away. Now I’m paying the price for all of that heavy lifting. In those days, I did what was necessary for me to win. This included training with heavy weights: a precursor for injury. So if I could do it over again I’d train with lighter weights, higher reps, no sets below 10 reps, with negatives slower than positives, and avoid injury. If I had done that, my physique wouldn’t have been quite as bulky, but with more definition and with less pain."

Last edited:

Ray S

Don Juan
Reaction score
The part where Zane talks about lifting heavy really hits home with me at the moment. I've had wrist tendonitis on and off for a year mainly due to focusing to much on lifting heavy as possible every set.

I'm just about to go hit shoulders, I'm going to drop the weight slightly, focus on higher reps and see how that goes.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rackhog

Over the years I've developed a long list of gym pet peeves.

I will admit I can act flaky. I've been told by more than one person that I can act very grumpy and irritable. And they're probably right. I can sometimes let people p1ss me off.

Which is a main reason that I hit the gym.

The problem is, there always seem to be a few people at my gym who I have to control myself around, because of the stupid shiat that I see and put up with.

My peeves perhaps go a little beyond most people's norms.

For example: the mere sight of the anonymous scowling guy wearing a hoodie--the sight of that is enough to pizz me off. I'm talking about the guy who actually has the hood pulled up over his head. And this has NOTHING to do with race or color. These guys are usually really fat or really skinny, and for some inexplicable reason, I usually doing see them doing some sort of fancy 4-movement complex dumbbell lift that makes absolutely no sense to me. And by the way, I live in West Central Florida, and I've seen guys wearing hoodies in July, for Christ's sake!

Then there are the guys who work out in groups of 4, spending an hour on the deadlift machine, talking and laughing amongst one another for several minutes between sets.

Or how about the superfit chick who dresses like a slvut and scowls at the guys who look at her. She lays towels down on 2 or 3 different workstations AT THE SAME TIME and takes about 15 minutes to finish that one circuit. Nobody EVER complains about her, though, because she's SUCH a hot fit empowered woman! I'm not sure which pizzes me off more: the women who entitle themselves to this kind of behavior, or the giddy White Knights who are willing to work around them.

Or how about the gym member who sneaks in between sets and takes your towel/backpack from the bench you're using and sets it down on the floor?

I did complain once. I used to belong to a 24-hour gym. It was a small intimate gym along Clearwater Beach that was owned by a former professional wrestler. You could get a great workout in then walk across the street and scour the beach for t1ts.

Hulk Hogan (he wasn't the owner) used to work out there every afternoon. Nice guy, by the way. He was always polite to me and everyone else there. It was the kind of gym where guys slammed the weights down between deadlift reps, which was fine with me because I wear headphones. For work reasons I switched my workouts to nights, and there was one knucklehead member who felt compelled to work out shirtless and bless everyone else in the gym with his buffed presence (the dude was built really well; I'll give him that).

After 2 nights of that, I approached him and said, "You've got a great build, dude, but I'd really appreciate it you'd keep your shirt on." The guy looked at me like I was asking him to solve a complex math equation (which for him probably involved something like, "What is 2 + 8?"). I immediately stopped my workout, exited the gym, called my bank, reported my debit card stolen, and never went back to that gym again. That was probably the best way for me to handle that situation, because I was really seething with rage when he plopped his bareskinned fvucking torso on the weight bench that I was using.

My #1, undisputed, king-of-the-world gym pet peeve, though, is the guy who stands inches away from the dumbbell rack. I call them "Rackhogs."

In my 10 years of working out at different gyms across Tampa Bay, there have always been Rackhogs. Why is it that they don't understand that standing inches away from the dumbbells prevents others access to the dumbbells? Do they not understand that not everybody likes to wait for them to finish?

Usually I'll just move to an area that's unoccupied. Because nothing works. Rackhogs don't get it. I've personally come to think that a Rackhog thinks he's actually honoring some sort of unwritten gym code. it's like he thinks he DESERVES to stand inches away from the weights that other people are trying to use.

I guess I just don't understand. It seems rude to me to stand in the space where other people are trying to work.

I wish gyms established and enforced a 3-foot rule! My thought is, if you're unable to stand farther than 3 feet away from the rack, then you're lifting too dam heavy!

Over the years I've realized that there's really nothing that I can do about these distractions. Headphones are a blessing. This makes it impossible for me to hear what's going on around me, which is absolutely fine with me--unless the building suddenly catches fire or if somebody goes on a shooting rampage. Otherwise, the headphones keep me more focused on my workouts and less focused on the knuckleheads doing stupid shiat that never ceases to amaze me. I like being in my own world at the gym. Just me and my music and my energy. At least I don't HEAR the distractions--like the idiot who wants everybody to know how heavy he's lifting and screams like he's having a baby.

As far as I'm concerned, the worst feature about my smartphone is volume control. I miss my old smartphone; it seems I could jack the volume way up and never hear a single thing going on around me. I swear, my new phone is not as loud, and it even sends me a warning that I'll lose my hearing, when I attempt to set the volume at max. I've bought a dozen headphones over the past 6 months or so and none of them sound as good as they used to.

Truth be told, I'd rather lose my hearing than my mind. I really don't believe that I would allow myself to work out in gyms without headphones. There have even been a few times that my battery ran out and I wore the headphones anyway, just to make people think that I was unable to hear them.

Last edited:

Rubirosa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Response to your posts......

Frank Zane: Great bodybuilder. I remember the story how he was getting ready for the 1980 Mr Olympia, slipped by the pool, and sliced his groin....and still competed in the competition! He did sell out to the almighty dollar when he endorsed the piece of crap Soloflex back in the 80's

Joe Weider: On one hand, you gotta admire the businessman for the empire he built, but the dude seemed like such an egotistical tool....not to mention how many teenage boys he ripped off by selling them protein shakes and other supplements endorsed by bodybuilders whose bodies were a result of roids and genetics, not protein shakes.......He also ripped off the name "Master Blaster" from the dwarf/giant character in "Mad Mad Beyond Thunderdome" movie

Gym issues: Why don't you work out at home? From what I can tell, you're a homeowner who makes a good living....Why not go on Craigslist and start buying equipment?

How This "Nice Guy" Steals Women from Jerks

Did you know a woman can be totally UN-ATTRACTED to you...

And she'll still sleep with you?

If you've ever seen a girl go home with some asshole she didn't even LIKE, you know this is true.

But how is this possible?

Because deep inside her brain, sexual desire has nothing to do with what you LOOK like...

And everything to do with how you make her FEEL.

Matt Cook knows this all too well.

Matt is a nice guy... but he steals women from JERKS all the time.

In this free video training below, he'll show you how he does it:

How to Control Her Emotions and Make Her Chase You

dasein

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some pet peeves are the crossfit people who come in and lift barefoot, people who put their stuff on benches or machines and just leave it, the front desk cupcakes who sit there texting and make you wait to pay or do whatever you need to do til they finish their texting.

My favorite was one idiot manager who told me the reason the rates had doubled was because it was going to be a "country club" environment going forward, and I told him, "I'm a member of three country clubs, this ain't one," and walked out."

My favorite things are the old people, one 92 yo guy where I go now goes in, does his circuit, talks to everyone, respect. Old ladies in the gym too, and the few younger women who go in and do a real workout. People who smile and say hello make it worthwhile.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Heavy Lifting

"It gave me mass, but I’ll tell you one thing: if I had to do it all over again, I don’t think I would have done it. It just gets you injured. You’re just focusing on the weight and often ignoring the subtle signs your body is giving you and once you’ve hurt yourself, that’s it. It never really goes away. Now I’m paying the price for all of that heavy lifting. In those days, I did what was necessary for me to win. This included training with heavy weights: a precursor for injury. So if I could do it over again I’d train with lighter weights, higher reps, no sets below 10 reps, with negatives slower than positives, and avoid injury. If I had done that, my physique wouldn’t have been quite as bulky, but with more definition and with less pain."
I'm with Zane here.

Heavy lifting was fun for me for years, and I got respect for it. People saw me bulked up and knew I was 'strong'. For that, I am grateful, but I too have the back injuries to show for it, and my upper body is disproportionate. I also ignored my core to a large extent. I simply outgrew my 'frame', and got to a point where I wasn't supposedly to naturally be, which led to injury. Now my workouts consist of bodyweight exercises, centered on the core and hip girdle. I do much more stretching and flexibility than I ever thought about doing in my mid-20s.

My advice to my younger self would have been to look in the mirror and be truthful. What do you see, and what can you reasonably expect to see? Go with that, go with what you are. There was a certain amount of growth and mass I needed, but I feel like I went to far. Really concentrate on minimizing your weaknesses, rather than putting 100% into your strengths. You should use your strengths to guide you, in a big picture type way. My strength was that it was fairly easy for me to put on weight and add strength. Weakness was that I was narrow and did not have that athletic look. So instead of concentrating all that on bench press, I should have been training the entire body, and then concentrated on the upper V to add width, where I was lacking.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Grassroots Workout

"Getting high and working out is one of the least talked about and least appreciated pleasures of fitness. Lifting weights is fun when you’re under the spell; cardio is cool too, but for me, nothing compares to getting really high and hitting the heavy bag. 2 tokes of the good stuff is usually all it takes to start the enchanted wave – 3 if I wanna go deep."

--Joe Rogan
http://joerogan.net/blog/i-like-to-smoke-weed-and-workout

Hardly anybody knows that I'm a bit of a weedhead. I really look forward to taking 2-3 hits off of my Solo Vaporizer before I start my lifting.

I don't go to parties and smoke weed, and I don't drink much, either.

I don't even like to hang out with other people who smoke weed--unless it's with a hot chick. Because meeting up with a hot chick on weed is good enough on its own, but fvucking a hot chick on weed feels 10x's better than sober sex, if you ask me. And I fvuck them especially GOOD when I'm high.

But again, that's my opinion--and I digress.

Sorry fellas.

My main thing is, I like getting high and lifting.

I used to think I was the only guy who was smoking pot and exercising. Now, with America continuing to embrace pot at an all-time level, and all kinds of studies being released on THC"s benefits --everything from boosting athletic performance to aiding/speeding recovery from injury--I realize I'm just one of many "PotJocks."

Joe Rogan obviously does it. This month's Men's Health magazine is running a story on it, and Real Sports on HBO aired a story a few months ago about the increasing number of NFL athletes who are using it to naturally aid in recovering from injuries. I'm not making any of this stuff up. Google it and discover it for yourself if you don't believe me.

The stigma still continues, though, here in Florida, especially. It still seems to me like the majority of jocks and fitness freaks are unable to believe that a healthy, fit-looking guy like myself smokes weed. I certainly don't fit the mold of the typical pothead. I'm 6'2", 200 pounds, and low bodyfat. I eat lots of vegetables; drink a gallon of water a day; have no health problems, and currently take no prescriptions of any kind. People are actually more apt to accuse me of being a cop than they are a potsmoker, because of my shaved head (if you click on my username, that's me--and in case you're wondering, yeah, I was pretty high when that pic was taken).

A lot of fitness devotees think of pot and iron as strange bedfellows, and I can definitely understand that. Mention the word "pot" and images of Snoop Dogg or perhaps "the munchies" comes to mind.

But I have always enjoyed the ritual of working out and exercising under the influence of marijuana. For me personally, my workouts feel much more focused and intense when I'm high. I have always thought pot made me a better athlete and a more open-minded individual.

I first discovered the effects of marijuana and exercise by accident--back in the late 80's. I was smoking a joint with a friend at a park, and a group of guys asked us if we wanted to join their pickup basketball game. They had 8 guys and needed 2 more. I was always a pretty decent player--I had plenty of energy for rebounding and have always been a hard worker--but I never felt like I had the confidence to play basketball with a group of guys because I didn't shoot the ball particularly well. Actually, I sucked at shooting. I couldn't score a basket in an empty gym!

That day when I played under the influence, I immediately noticed how much calmer and more assertive and clearminded I played. Maybe it was because I felt like I had nothing to lose. Maybe it was because the other guys just needed an extra body on the court and therefore nobody was expecting much from me. I dunno.

But what I do know is, I felt like I was tapping into the game of basketball on an elevated, visceral level. I felt like I could finally slow my mind down and just relax and just focus on the sheer physical rhythm of the game, which to me, I discovered, meant playing stellar defense and rebounding. I didn't even think about trying to score baskets.

The guys invited me to play with them on Tuesday and Thursday nights, and I smoked a half a joint before every game and always played really well. I didn't want to let the guys down. They depended on me to D up, and I wasn't gonna let 'em down. I take everything I do seriously, with maximum effort and devotion.

I was a top 5 pick and became THE go-to guy on defense, rebounding and owning just about every defensive job that nobody else seemed willing or able to do. I took a lot of pride in diving after loose balls, sticking my long pesky arms into passing lanes, and blocking shots under the rim. I relished the physical contact of muscling for position beneath the rim.

Pot just seemed to transform me into a nasty physical monster on the basketball court, and it wasn't long before I said to myself, "Maybe if I smoke weed and lift, I'll look and feel stronger." So I started smoking weed and lifting, too, but I never told anybody about it, because back in those days, it was weird for jocks and stoners to mingle. It was kind of like Jim Crow in the 1960's South: Jocks ate there; stoners hung out here. Stoners drank from this water fountain; jocks drank from that one. So I felt kind of like a weirdo. I liked both. I liked being an athlete and appeared to dress, look, and act like one. But I loved my pot and metal music, too! But nobody else, at least in my high school, was living like that. You were either for or against. No 'tweeners.

The only negative with today's pot is the potency. For those who don't know, modern weed is a LOT stronger than say, the stuff of 20 years ago. So two or three tokes is my max.

When I take more than 3 good hits from the vape, I'll immediately start feeling anxious and a bit paranoid. There have even been a few times when I felt a bit too high and almost left the gym as soon as I entered. I've also vomited several times on the basketball court from smoking too much weed. And, I learned the hard way that squats and too many hits from hi-test pot can be a rather bad combination. My heart will start racing and I'll start tripping a little--like I'm having a panic attack.

But I've always been able to weather the mental storm, which is also something I secretly relish: mentally overcoming that initial wave of pot-induced anxiety. Do I have what it takes to make it through without freaking out? I know that sounds crazy--and maybe it is. But did you know that I've read that young men of certain Native American tribes were given peyote as a rite of passage? If the youth could sustain the bad trip, he was granted manhood. Maybe we could all use a little more rites of passage these days.

Just sayin'.

Anyways, after a few minutes of a bad-weed-trip, my breathing subsides, and then I'll feel this semi-orgasmic sense of calm and focus and intensity--much like a post-vomit-feel-better kind of thing. The old familiar feeling I've always had from smoking weed, starting with that first basketball game in the 1980's.

Sometimes, i.e. when I haven't smoked in awhile, I can spend longer than two hours in the gym and not even realize it. Or a 3-minute song can seem to last for 10 minutes.

And I have to say, I love it all. That simultaneous sense of distortion and connection that comes only from smoking weed and exercising.

Maybe I'll move to Colorado if Florida doesn't legalize it in 2016.

Any SoSuavers in Colorado?

Last edited:

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great thread Espi!

Im curious about something, for what I recall you said you used test and deca in your body building career, wondering if you noticed any permanent change in your body or personality even months after stopping the use.

I read somewhere that the way roids interact with the muscle structure and the brain make some modifications which stay long term, also I believe once someone behave in a certain way and gets rewarded from that, such behaviour is learn as appropriate.

So did you notice for example any effect comparable to muscle memory later?

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
But this is what we want! And the more detail the better :)
Ha! Gotcha bradd80 well my workout routine has been the same for months actually. I like doing full body workouts 3-4 times a week. No cardio because my diet has been superclean and I'm not eating much right now. Money is tight. I'm probably not even consuming more than 2,000 calories per day now.

Workout is almost always the same order:

SUPERSET 1
Squats and pullups
4 sets each, minimal rest in between exercises and sets. Bam, bam, bam. Quick and intense and I want to be sweating by the time I'm done with the 4th set.

set 1 10-15 pullups with forward grip. Start from a dead hang and raise my body explosively, till my eyes are ABOVE the bar. Lower my body SLOWLY and repeat.

set 1 squats front squats 20 reps with a 35-pound plate on either side. These are front squats so azz to grass on each rep.

set 2 8-10 pullups done the same exact way as set 1.

set 2 squats front squats 15 reps with 45-pound plate done the same way as set 1.

set 3 usually 6 or 7 pullups done the same exact way as first 2 sets
set 3 front squats squats 45, 10, and 5 on each side. 10-12 reps Done the same way as first 2 sets.

Set 4 usually have about 5 pullups left. Sometimes more. Sometimes less.
Set 4 squats front squats 45 and a 25 on each side...5-10 reps.

Usually sweating HARD by now.

Then right onto SUPERSET II

Shoulders and legs
4 sets, bam, bam , bam. As little rest as I can get by with between exercises and sets. Just like the first superset with the squats and pulls.

Shoulders--side lateral raises with underhanded grip--start with 12's, 20-25 reps;
Legs--leg extension 15-20 reps, 130 lbs.

Shoulders--side lat raises with 15's, 15-20 reps.
Leg extensions 10-15 reps, 150 lbs.

Shoulders side lat raises with 20's, 10-12 reps maybe
Leg extensions 8-10 reps, 170 lbs.

SUPERSET III
Chest and legs

Superset done just like others.

3 sets each, DB incline chest press, 80's, 70's 60's, 12 reps, 10-12 reps, 8-10 reps.
Calf raises--pathetic. Sometimes no weight. Just 20 reps each set. Looking ti improve on this big time.

SUPERSET IV
Arms

Chinups and skullcrushers
3 sets each, as many chin-ups (neutral grip) as I can each set--uually by this time I can do about 5 each set. Sometimes a few more. Sometimes a few less.
Skulls--90-lb. barbell, then 80, then 70. 15 reps; then 10 or 12 reps; then 8 or 10 reps.

Thoughts:
--Key is to do legs with each superset because I hate doing legs and I have to discipline myself to do them or else I'll start working the upper body only.

--I will vary my exercises from time to time, i.e. dips instead of skulls; lunges instead of squats; deads instead of pulls. I could do better at varying my workouts but my build still looks pretty good so I just stick with what works.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ray S said:
The part where Zane talks about lifting heavy really hits home with me at the moment. I've had wrist tendonitis on and off for a year mainly due to focusing to much on lifting heavy as possible every set.

I'm just about to go hit shoulders, I'm going to drop the weight slightly, focus on higher reps and see how that goes.
speed dawg said:
Heavy lifting was fun for me for years, and I got respect for it. People saw me bulked up and knew I was 'strong'. For that, I am grateful, but I too have the back injuries to show for it.

Whaddup Ray S and speed dawg. Yes I personally think shoulders are especially prone to injury because they're incorporated in a lot of different exercises. They get hit on chest press, pullups, just about everything. And the delts are a relatively small muscle.

I've made it a point to keep my reps at 10 or more. Just like Zane wrote. If I don't do 10 or more, I consider it heavy!

Last edited:

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get Motivated

"Fitness is about Discomfort. Get comfortable and get fat. "

"If you don't dig deep today, you never will."

"Do exercises no one else does. That makes you a champion."

"Do people underestimate you? That's because they don't know how hard you work! A work ethic is the great equalizer."

--BJ Gaddour

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rubirosa said:
Why don't you work out at home? From what I can tell, you're a homeowner who makes a good living....Why not go on Craigslist and start buying equipment?
Rubirosa returns to SS...long time no see sir. Good to read your posts on here again. You been pumping that iron?

I work from home so I like getting out of my place for a few hours.

No place is perfect, that's for sure.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dasein said:
crossfit people
If there's a cult in fitness, crossfit's gotta be it. You're either in or out of that club.

In my opinion kipping is NOT a pullup!

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Who Dares Win said:
Im curious about something, for what I recall you said you used test and deca in your body building career, wondering if you noticed any permanent change in your body or personality even months after stopping the use.

I read somewhere that the way roids interact with the muscle structure and the brain make some modifications which stay long term, also I believe once someone behave in a certain way and gets rewarded from that, such behaviour is learn as appropriate.

So did you notice for example any effect comparable to muscle memory later?
I did use testosterone and deca about 9 years ago. I have noticed no permanent changes in my mind or body. When I used them, I gained a LOT of weight, but most of those gains dissipated after I stopped using them. I have a great physician who is very thorough. I was completely, 100% open with him about my steroid use. Other than being diagnosed with low T, I have no health issues. I'm not sure if the low T has anything to do with my past steroid use.

Read the 22 Rules for Massive Success with Women. Everything you need to know to become a huge success with women. And it's free!

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi, low T is a broad term used by HRT docs to prescribe test. Do you have your free and total T numbers?

This a good subject to incorporate in this thread as it's the foundation of muscle growth.

I was also diagnosed with low total T at 412ng/dl. Doc suggested T cypionate for life. I didn't want to suppress my LH and FSH levels for life, so I experimented with a ****tail of 50mg clomid and arimidex daily, which shot my total T levels over 900 mg/dl after 60 days, and I've been coasting at this level over a year now. Sometimes I'll replace the clomid with 150ius of HCG daily to periodize as the body habituates. This is an effective alternative to traditional T therapy, as your LH and FSH remain high and your natural T levels are not suppressed. My free T levels also increased by 100%, though I don't have those numbers handy.

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What to do, what to do

"You're more likely to make smarter decisions on an empty stomach, according to Dutch researchers. Study participants who fasted before taking a series of tests made winning choices 50% of the time, compared with only 40% of the time for folks who ate a meal beforehand."

--Men's Health magazine, March 2015.

Money is really tight now, so I'm suddenly openminded to the concept of "intermittent fasting."

Sure beats saying, "I don't have a lot of money right now and the food pantry is getting bare."

My physique is declining as well. I haven't lost any weight whatsoever--I've maintained a steady 200 pounds since September 2014. But my body just ain't what it used to be.

I'm living proof that you can't outtrain a bad diet! Despite hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, my six pack is fading and the muscle tone in my shoulders and arms is flatter and softer. The intensity of my workouts has seemingly plateau'd. I don't even want to measure my bodyfat now. I was measured at 11% when I finished an intense 8-week nutrition and fitness program with a personal trainer, but I suspect I'm now inching closer to 15%.

I have a way of justifying eating junk food when my consumption of calories goes way down.

I got visible veins all along my arms and delts, my face is angular, and my midsection looks lean enough...but I just feel like I'm looking and feeling skinny'ish.

A year ago things were really good, physically and financially. I made more money in the span of two months than I had earned in the previous 2 years combined, so I went and hired a personal trainer, and I cut my bodyfat from 20% to 10% and my waist size from a 36-38 to a 32-34. I spent several thousand dollars on organic foods and supplements, embarked on a mad shopping spree at International Mall, flew first class on Air Fiji--and from there trekked 3,000 miles east via a 3-week adventure cruise, culminating in an overnight stay at a luxurious hotel in Papeete, Tahiti.

Hey, it was probably better than blowing it all on cocaine, booze, and women.

You live only once, right?

Just sayin'--I'm starting to look a lot like Mark Wahlberg in Boogie Nights.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mark+wahlberg+shirtless+boogie+nights&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=kK_kVPeuJMiqggS0i4KoDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=IrcTHYXSIfmUgM%3A;6gK_tHrQrvGAlM;http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KVA31BjTtfQ%2FTa7gXARdDlI%2FAAAAAAAAN0Q%2FpLt3gpSaEdw%2Fs1600%2Fvlcsnap-2010-11-19-19h21m23s58.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fcapturescinema.blogspot.com%2F2011%2F04%2Fmark-wahlberg-boogie-nights-1997_20.html;352;439

What to do, what to do.

Time to roll up my sleeves and get paid and EAT and TRAIN like a muddafvucka.

Last edited:

Espi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guru1000 said:
Espi, low T is a broad term used by HRT docs to prescribe test. Do you have your free and total T numbers?

This a good subject to incorporate in this thread as it's the foundation of muscle growth.

I was also diagnosed with low total T at 412ng/dl. Doc suggested T cypionate for life. I didn't want to suppress my LH and FSH levels for life, so I experimented with a ****tail of 50mg clomid and arimidex daily, which shot my total T levels over 900 mg/dl after 60 days, and I've been coasting at this level over a year now. Sometimes I'll replace the clomid with 150ius of HCG daily to periodize as the body habituates. This is an effective alternative to traditional T therapy, as your LH and FSH remain high and your natural T levels are not suppressed. My free T levels also increased by 100%, though I don't have those numbers handy.
Yep guru my doc has OK'd me for 250 mg. weekly of test cypionate. I personally think that dosage level could make a difference, if I stuck with it long enough. $200 bucks for a 8-week supply. Injected once weekly.

Don't have the numbers in front of me but I do remember that it was somewhere near 400.

Bonus: My doc's office has cute assistants who can administer the shot for me. In my but-tocks. :moon:

Last edited:

guru1000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cypionate, a long-acting testosterone with a half-life of 8 days, is effective for total T count; it's even a great contraceptive (your sperm count will drop by 95%+ while on it and return back to normal once you're off).

My only advice is to monitor estrogen (E) levels, assuming you are not already, as you might get some aromatization even at a minimal 250mgs/weekly. If your physique starts looking softer and chest appears "fatter," chances are your E levels are too high. Ask doc to write a script for Arimidex. Even if your E levels are not supra-physiological, arimidex will lower your T/E (Testosterone/Estrogen) ratio, promoting a leaner, harder, more muscular-appearing physique.

ALSO: In the future, if you can monitor your blood tests, and post the results for total and free T and estrogen in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. Interesting to see the before and after blood work to hone the HRT.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Espi and Guru, I see you are educated regarding hormones, trt and so on.

Was wondering if doing a cycle of SERMs in low dosage may help to improve test profile in a healty individual.

Also once you start trt are you forced to do it forever or you may attempt to restore your balance with SERMs and AIs?

Im asking cause I have reason to believe that either my test is not high enough or its the test/estro ratio to be non balanced for sport purposes.

I dont complain about strenght in the gym but I noticed that I dont grow a beard as thick as other guys and also when I have sex I dont need to do it again too badly for up to 5 days.

Also hard to get any support from family doctors since according to most of them even protein powders are "drugs" and as long as you dont grow b00bs your hormones are fine.