Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you believe there is more good than evil in this world or vice versa?

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anytime you turn on the news or even go the local newspaper online all you hear or read about is crime, crime and more crime or natural disasters.

90% of the news is negative, but I read people prefer to read negative news.

However, I think most good news goes unreported and although most people are selfish, there are more good people in the world than evil.

What do you think?

flowtheory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anytime you turn on the news or even go the local newspaper online all you hear or read about is crime, crime and more crime or natural disasters.

However, I think most good news goes unreported and although most people are selfish, there are more good people in the world than evil.

What do you think?
More good than bad.

News is negative because I garners more views as it’s related to our biology - fear and staying safe. News is a business

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In John 12:31, Jesus refers to Satan as "the prince (or ruler) of this world." Judeo-christian philosophy is pretty negative regarding humanity as a whole - created in God's image, then fvcking it up ever since.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it might be about even, but you draw to yourself what you focus on.

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

What do you think?
It's programming. Television is basic brain washing in many cases. I haven't watched TV in YEARS!. All my time is usually online learning and creating/building businesses and how to create wealth. Plus listening to millionaires and what they have to teach to those who are willing to listen. That's why TV was called "your local programming" It programs people's minds. Constantly hearing about stabbings, Shootings, Disasters, Illnesses, Diseases, Wars, Viruses, Security Concerns.... What do you think that does to someone's mental state over time? To live in constant fear, anxiety, scarcity and an uneasy feeling. Watch things online that have to do with an abundance, prosperous and uplifting mentality.

Serenity

Reaction score
@oc16 As I just posted in another thread, the news report on the extraordinary, not the ordinary. Good is the expected, the ordinary most times (with exceptions). You'll occasionally read stories of a cop giving his shoes away to a hobo or something like that, but that is kinda extraordinary although in a positive way. Most extraordinary events are bad, it shocks us, grabs our attention. The news make money if they can grab our attention. The news is NOT a reflection of the ordinary and common, in other words not a fair representation of reality as a whole.

@brixlingo Ah, moral relativism. You're partly right in your first paragraph though, it is what it is, BUT what you mentioned has 2 sides and isn't so simple to unwrap. A lion eating a gazelle isn't a simple good or bad situation, it's good for the lion as it would die if it went vegan or didn't eat. It's bad for the gazelle as it dies. But there's at least one more level to this, if gazelle's wasn't eaten they'd reproduce as much as their available food and habitat would allow. This would eventually be bad for most gazelles and the rest of the ecosystem in their territory, so ultimately I'd say it's good that lions eat gazelles.

The rich getting richer is good for the rich people, the poor getting poorer is bad for the poor people. Again, 2 sided and definitely not a simple "good or bad". Distributing the resources somehow lets more people thrive, bad for the rich, good for the poor. You could argue whatever you want that rich people put in the work, but truth is that there's only so much you can do in a timeframe. I put in a damn fine piece of hard labor too, I'm just not getting as much as the heads above me, but without the likes of me they'd be sh!t out of luck. The rich take a large cut of someone else's hard work. Again, good for the few on top, not so good for us doing what actually makes them the money. So in the perspective of making life good for the greatest amount of people, that's bad. If you don't give a damn about a greater good, then you can basically make up whatever morality you'd like. Nothing really stopping you from doing that, although practicing some forms probably leads to negative consequences.

I also hate to be "that guy", but what is "natural"? From some perspectives literally everything could be called natural. One definition of natural is that it's not made or caused by humankind, but the word is commonly used way way more diffusely than that. The context which you're using the word suggests to me that you're actually talking about "normal" or "common", more specifically what's normal from your own subjective perspective. All the things you listed are things that you subjectively dislike, granted it's not common, but it occurs. If dumb sh!t like that wasn't a part of human nature, then humans wouldn't do.

Reality is the way it is, it just is, as you said. We observe animals, what they do is natural even though some things they do are uncommon. Oddly we look differently at ourselves, some people do ignore progress, some do argue against gender and some do wish they were the opposite sex. We look at ourselves and all of a sudden some things that humans do is "unnatural". It occurs, it is the way it is, you may not like it and even that's natural, so is all of that really so unnatural?

Apart from your only reason for people doing bad things, I agree with the last paragraph. People having a good time in life greatly reduces the risk for them to harm others. Let's bring that one back to the rich vs. poor, the vast majority of people aren't as rich as the very rich. The poor getting poorer as the rich get richer will only go up to a point, it could ultimately end in massive destruction. Imagine we reach a tipping point, the point at which the vast majority of poor people just aren't having it anymore. They're not having a good time in life, they slave away only for the few rich people to enjoy the fruits of the poor people's labor. If the poor become poor enough they'll be sure to show the rich people where the true power lies.

What realistically happens is that most rich people are smart enough to give a raise. Not so much that it affects themselves noticably, but enough to calm the masses. The sense of unfairness doesn't go away, it's just held back by a little bit of hope which eventually runs out and they play the same trick over again. In other words the rich knows that the people below them collectively holds the real power. The poor can only become poorer up to a point before sh!t hits the fan. The ideal way to prevent such evil is to divide resources more fairly, but most rich people tend to be biased towards themselves choose the minimal way, because that works.

This response got a lot longer than I thought it would, good job if you made it through.

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is more bad out there than good. Sad truth, very few people are evil it's just that the majority do bad things. If you want to get philosophical what really is good or bad

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on what is meant by by bad. If meaning of bad is deliberate harm physical or none physical towards someone, then no, there are relatively few bad things happening. But if the meaning of bad is one's selfishness then yes, a lot of bad things are happening all the time.

soulforge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's programming. Television is basic brain washing in many cases. I haven't watched TV in YEARS!. All my time is usually online learning and creating/building businesses and how to create wealth. Plus listening to millionaires and what they have to teach to those who are willing to listen. That's why TV was called "your local programming" It programs people's minds. Constantly hearing about stabbings, Shootings, Disasters, Illnesses, Diseases, Wars, Viruses, Security Concerns.... What do you think that does to someone's mental state over time? To live in constant fear, anxiety, scarcity and an uneasy feeling. Watch things online that have to do with an abundance, prosperous and uplifting mentality.

I turned off my TV a loooong time ago.. Folks are hypnotised, programmed to think and feel in a certain way, thanks to that brainwashing box in your living room.

Serenity

Reaction score
I turned off my TV a loooong time ago.. Folks are hypnotised, programmed to think and feel in a certain way, thanks to that brainwashing box in your living room.
Does the TV affect us? Probably. Is it a deliberate and coordinated brainwashing effort? That's taking it a bit far, commercials try brainwashing you into buying their stuff though, beyond that no.

Sunnypoo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Individually most people are good. Collectively on a whole, not so much. Irony at its finest.

highSpeed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

What do you think?
I think that is a loaded question. Depends on how you measure good vs. bad. Your idea of good may not fit with someone else's. There might be some generalized content that we can all agree on but we are constantly pushing boundaries, for better or worse.

My ideals have definitely changed quite a bit since I as 19-20 years old. I've experienced things that have changed my mind. I now think my 19-20 year old self is too naive and while it is nice to be nice even when everyone or most everyone else is not, I think is a fatalistic approach to life. You're only going to get screwed if you're fighting with one hand behind your back and everyone else is using both hands.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
commercials try brainwashing you into buying their stuff though, beyond that no.
Wow wow! There is planned agenda each coutry has, the news and the movies are biased as fck.

The news especially propagand candey wrap, never portraying what’s on the inside.

Television is beyong entertainment and objectivity, it is a propaganda machine. It is a military weapon targeted at public opinion and confirmity.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the bible, God says, “There is none who is good, no, not even one.”

He compares our good works to filthy rags.

Why would that be?

Because a creature who naturally turns his back on his creator and declares himself to be god (the arbiter of what is right and what is wrong), is inherently evil.

I observe that every person is just good enough to assuage his or her guilt. What we think and do in the shadows is different from what we express publicly.

Is mankind naturally good or naturally evil and disobedient to God? One need only look at babies and toddlers to discover the answer. They have a natural inclination to disobey and decide right and wrong for themselves. We do not need to teach them to disobey. It is their natural inclination.

That doesn’t change as we grow up. In childhood and teen years, we stay just good enough to stay out of serious trouble.

Everything about mankind is “just good enough”. Just enough to avoid punishment or penalty. That is not the mark of people who are “good”.

Even someone who gives to the poor or performs some other act of kindness is getting a payoff, if only to the ego (I must be a good person).

In my view, which is biblical, the ultimate evil is keeping one’s back turned to one’s creator in order to avoid the repulsive thought of answering to a higher moral authority. That is our natural inclination.

Mankind is utterly helpless in this condition. He is not self-aware. He cannot be if he naturally avoids God and sacrificial, righteous living. In acknowledgement of that helpless condition, the bible says that God has provided the solution to this unwinable dilemma. However, the vast majority reject his solution because they see themselves as capable of being good enough to earn that righteousness.

There is far more evil in the world than good. As I said, each person maintains a status of “good enough”... just enough to appear good to himself and to the outside world.

Serenity

Reaction score
Wow wow! There is planned agenda each coutry has, the news and the movies are biased as fck.
Some countries more than others. In western countries not so much, content is way too diverse IMO to suggest that.

The news especially propagand candey wrap, never portraying what’s on the inside.
Many news sources are indeed biased. There's a few big sources that IMO just report news like AP and Reuters. But there's a lot of crap out there, I'll agree to that.

Television is beyong entertainment and objectivity, it is a propaganda machine. It is a military weapon targeted at public opinion and confirmity.
It's not working very well if that is the case...

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the bible, God says, “There is none who is good, no, not even one.”

He compares our good works to filthy rags.

Why would that be?

Because a creature who naturally turns his back on his creator and declares himself to be god (the arbiter of what is right and what is wrong), is inherently evil.

I observe that every person is just good enough to assuage his or her guilt. What we think and do in the shadows is different from what we express publicly.

Is mankind naturally good or naturally evil and disobedient to God? One need only look at babies and toddlers to discover the answer. They have a natural inclination to disobey and decide right and wrong for themselves. We do not need to teach them to disobey. It is their natural inclination.

That doesn’t change as we grow up. In childhood and teen years, we stay just good enough to stay out of serious trouble.

Everything about mankind is “just good enough”. Just enough to avoid punishment or penalty. That is not the mark of people who are “good”.

Even someone who gives to the poor or performs some other act of kindness is getting a payoff, if only to the ego (I must be a good person).

In my view, which is biblical, the ultimate evil is keeping one’s back turned to one’s creator in order to avoid the repulsive thought of answering to a higher moral authority. That is our natural inclination.

Mankind is utterly helpless in this condition. He is not self-aware. He cannot be if he naturally avoids God and sacrificial, righteous living. In acknowledgement of that helpless condition, the bible says that God has provided the solution to this unwinable dilemma. However, the vast majority reject his solution because they see themselves as capable of being good enough to earn that righteousness.

There is far more evil in the world than good. As I said, each person maintains a status of “good enough”... just enough to appear good to himself and to the outside world.
I have read the bible once, back in 2012. I think the bible is a joke and very contradicting! Sorry if that offends you and I think each person is entitled to their opinion.

One of my biggest fears is to be on my deathbed and have regrets about life. I want to make the most out of life. Therefore i will not be lead by anothers lead.

I feel like i have an angel watching over me that has protected me throughout my life so far. Therefore i cannot say i do not believe in spirituality.

Rainman4707

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Should be moved to Anything else forum.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I get allot of news blogs from Black stations, such as Roland Martin, or Your Black World, which basically has allot of negative news. I unsubscribed from one not too long ago when I thought they were just fishing for a bad news story and race-baiting, but the others still have my attention occasionally. Other news is just too boring to watch most of the time. Tend to gravitate towards civil rights issues.