Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Developing Humor

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Few will deny the power that good humor has in conversation and socializing, so developing a good sense of humor is obviously not a bad idea. While some may feel that they will never be able to make other people laugh, I believe that they can if they go about it in the right way. I would say that the thoughts/ideas outlines in this post would be best applied by focusing on making them habits one at a time. I'm very open to constructive criticism, because I must admit that I have not mastered humor (although few people have). I do hope this helps though.

Being a comedian is one of the most challenging careers one can take on. The first step to developing a good sense of humor is answering the question, "what is funny?" With a little exploration, many people might feel that they can give a solid answer to this question. In general, the unexpected, the outrageous, the taboo, etc characterize good humor. However, even if you can define it to the most minute specifications, being funny doesn't stop there.

Spontaneity is important, and usually funny comments must be formulated rather quickly. So when someone says, "How's the weather down there," how do you know where to start when it comes to making them laugh? Well let me help you.

Humor usually works best when good imagery is developed in the audience. For example, telling a story about a guy who tripped down a flight of stairs, when those are the only details used, wouldn't do much in the way of making someone laugh. However, when you use specific words and details to bring the story to life, and possibly 'recreate' the movements, sounds, etc that would be occuring in the story, then it becomes more real, and thus, more funny. This applies in the same sense as how a story is funnier if you know that it actually happened. If you can make it more real for the audience, you make it funnier. A monotone voice, vague details, and a lack of enthusiasm can all kill a joke or funny story.

So how do you spontaneously think up funny comments/hypothetical situations/jokes that have a lot of detail to them? Well, obviously if you know some details it is easier to think up others, so focusing on specific ideas is important and helpful. For example, if the topic is about dogs, it is easier to make a funny comment about a specific dog with specific qualities than just 'dogs' in general. Why? Because the more details you know about it the more you can build off of. For example, say you're having a conversation, wouldn't it be easier to make a joke after someone mentions incompetence in the local fire department than if they were talking about the government in general? YES, because when you think of a 'fire department' you see pictures of red fire trucks, firemen in their gear sliding down the pole, etc, you have more concrete images in mind, and good jokes revolve around details.

A basic but crucial part of humor is the delivery. How you deliver a joke can make or break it. This is where "acting things out," etc comes in. The important thing is to be alive. Put energy into it. Use a strong voice if you're imitating someone. Good storytellers use a lot of variation in their voices to match the tone of different parts of stories. I think you get the idea

So how do you apply this to conversation? It's all about your state of mind. If you are in a humorous mood looking for opportunities to concoct funny comments, then key in on details.

Develop themes. This makes it easier to see opportunities for funny comments because you can refer back to a joke you already made and produce more humor from it. One very easy theme people use a lot is sex. It's taboo, so any kind of pun or reference to it when the conversation is not in that context is funny. For example, if someone says, "Can you give me that screwdriver," how hard is it, when on the theme of sex, to say, "oh I'll give it to you darling," in a sexual but funny way? When your mind is 'set' on a theme, then that becomes your 'mindset' and its easier to make funny comments because you have a distinct angle to come from. Good comedians, however, always change themes rapidly or have different ones going on at once in a conversation to keep the surprise factor high. If you make too many jokes about a certain topic, they will stop becoming unexpected.

A good place to start in developing a better sense of humor in conversation is just to BE EVASIVE. If the conversation is not a serious one, then don't directly answer any questions. This is a very easy way to generate a ****y/funny tone, and you can still get your answer across. For example, if someone asks, "Do you know what time it is," you can tell them "10:15" or you can say something as simple as, "yes." Although not necessarily very funny by itself, if you do this a lot then the whole mood of the conversation will change.

Humor is a very abstract concept, so the only way to really develop a good sense of it is by practice and experience. Some people say that when you're trying to be funny that you aren't funny, but I say that you have to try to be funny to be funny, at least until it becomes habit. So go out and get to work. Humor can do wonders for your social life.

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice tips Nocturnal. But i find the best way to develop humour is by trail and error.

Watch some good comedies, and get a "feel" for humour. Then go out there and make a fool of yourself. After a while, you'll will KNOW whats funny and whats not. You'll develop a 6th sense on humour.

The most important thing though, is to relax. Don't force it, let it flow.

-peace-

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fender
Nice tips Nocturnal. But i find the best way to develop humour is by trail and error.

Watch some good comedies, and get a "feel" for humour. Then go out there and make a fool of yourself. After a while, you'll will KNOW whats funny and whats not. You'll develop a 6th sense on humour.

The most important thing though, is to relax. Don't force it, let it flow.

-peace-
Most people can tell you what is funny and what is not. The trouble is making something that is funny. It's one thing to recognize a bridge, it's another thing to know how to build one.

Trial and error is very important, I quote myself: "Humor is a very abstract concept, so the only way to really develop a good sense of it is by practice and experience."

Using humor is a skill, so there are guidelines you can follow to develop it. With this post I really just wanted to give people concrete ways to start doing that.

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Surprisingly, it's actually pretty hard to tell if something is funny or not if YOUR the one that made the joke.
Sometimes, I laugh like a psycho at my own jokes while ppl just stare on at me. At other times, I just make an innocent comment and everyone starts cracking up.

But over time, I've learned to "increase my batting average" and increase the probability that I'll get laugh's.

The reason I do this is because when i first started out trying humour, it was exteremely painful for me when I make a joke and everyone obviously thinks its lame. Even more painful is when ppl sarcastically shout "HAHA... Veeeery funny fender..." OuCH*

-peace-

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fender
But over time, I've learned to "increase my batting average" and increase the probability that I'll get laugh's.
Well of course, that just occurs naturally because you pick up on what is funny and what is not. Even then, though, knowing the difference is usually not enough.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really want to master comedy...I recommend Comedy Writing Secrets by Mevlin Helitzer. It's not really for writing comedy, but for understanding it and just generally being funny. It goes pretty in depth into the psychology of humor and why people find certain things funny, and it builds off of that.

englishcrap

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe that once you are relaxed. Anyone can be witty and funny. Its just that often people think too deeply about it when it comes to talking to women and even with strange people. Its always the case.

Dont think too much about how to be funny, humourous just be yourself. This actually took me a while to figure out but its true.