Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Buy experiences, not possessions

Augustus_McCrae

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Augustus_McCrae

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been looking at a new car and even though it's affordable it will still take 10-15% extra per month of my salary. I've thought about not getting a new car and keeping what I have after reading this article

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....end-your-money-on-experiences-not-things/amp/

What are your thoughts? Materials or experiences?
Another Thing about possessions, instead of you owning them, they can start to own you.

What I mean by that is you have to clean them, you have to move them, you have to have space to store them, you have to insure them, etc. It’s not just the purchase price, there is potential labor cost and dollar cost for you down the road.

-Augustus-

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you need a car but decide to buy experiences...

But you take that trip to Europe... Have a great time... Make memories. Then you come back and show the bums on the filthy bus your photos.

Life is about priorities. "Buy" the ones that will make most logical sense. You fall for that "Paradox of Possessions" if your are a idiot. Sure... Take trips along the way but it is not one or another. New age garbage.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
experiences makes you look more interesting, and its a nice way to hook with woman, since they will think you have a interesting life, but like all you do in life, its prioritys and needs to meet, experiences is all nice but is not worth if you will be homeless and not eating for the next months, if you need a new car get the damn car, having a new car is a experience anyway (even more if you have to run after the whole licensing for the first time...)

anotehr example is I know people who is always about experiences, they over spend a lot of is alwyas broke, with makes me who is paid less looks more rich. so again balance is the key

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I buy possessions that will bring me experiences. For example when I was twenty I bought a sport bike. It brought me incredible experiences.

Designer Man

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's so much diversity to this topic and there's no right or wrong answer. I have a car that is soon to be 10 years old but is still a nice car and costs me nothing except running costs. The new car will cost money as well as running costs but I can afford it.

marmel75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been looking at a new car and even though it's affordable it will still take 10-15% extra per month of my salary. I've thought about not getting a new car and keeping what I have after reading this article

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....end-your-money-on-experiences-not-things/amp/

What are your thoughts? Materials or experiences?
Smart people never put lots of money into assets that depreciate in value unless they have it to spend without it affecting them financially.

Marek

Don Juan
Reaction score
Another Thing about possessions, instead of you owning them, they can start to own you.
Exactly, property is ballast. I have as little as possible of it in my life and as much as necessary.

Plus: experiences allow you to grow as a person. Possessions rarely do.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My favorite possessions are Books, my lawn equipment (mainly the weedburner), and my house of course. You can gain experience (free vacation) in books. It's as if you were THERE, because you are visualizing what is being described and the witty conversations being delivered back n' forth. You're putting yourself in characters' shoes. Most actors gotta read read read and are readers. They must pick up on the nuances, the small things, the paintings, the art. A good book is what? $10 including shipping. Vacation and traveling (experiences) is certainly more important than my car or stuff within my house. Of course, I'm gonna make my house look like me (my experiences). My home will show my book (pictures, paintings, couch, tables, bed). Minimalist though, once you're set, in your home, then experience is all that's left. Ideas you gain a lot of from books. You may not see things the way the author visualizes them. It's your Own visualization, which may be entirely separate from what's being described cause it's YOU, your mind, that's doing the constructing with what words are given to you to go off of.

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Experiences are nice, but I like a mix of the two. Nothing bad about living your life on your own terms; both experience and possession wise.

R.U.G.

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As long as you don'y buy experiences with women. I spent several years going out with a flask of vodka and spending no money and have like almost 1000 approaches under my belt. I have friends who can buy out an entire vip section but cannot talk to a single woman. You want to get the most out of every dollar.
Don't tell @RichardTheFrog that. He'll be pissed as a mother.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
For me my sedan, 4x4 and sports car r all my slaves.

All 3 profits me.

I don't see any reason of not buying a new car if it's profitable, it normally is. There's plenty of uses with a proper new car. I change my sedan on an average of 3-4 years. Im not investing in a car, it's an investment in me. There's a difference.

meldiamond

Banned
Reaction score
Buying a new car is a waste of money due to depreciation. Leasing costs you even more. Buying a reliable used car is the only sound investment. And only if you need a car. In some large cities like SF and LA it's normally not necessary.

U

user43770

My favorite possessions are Books, my lawn equipment (mainly the weedburner), and my house of course. You can gain experience (free vacation) in books. It's as if you were THERE, because you are visualizing what is being described and the witty conversations being delivered back n' forth. You're putting yourself in characters' shoes. Most actors gotta read read read and are readers. They must pick up on the nuances, the small things, the paintings, the art. A good book is what? $10 including shipping. Vacation and traveling (experiences) is certainly more important than my car or stuff within my house. Of course, I'm gonna make my house look like me (my experiences). My home will show my book (pictures, paintings, couch, tables, bed). Minimalist though, once you're set, in your home, then experience is all that's left. Ideas you gain a lot of from books. You may not see things the way the author visualizes them. It's your Own visualization, which may be entirely separate from what's being described cause it's YOU, your mind, that's doing the constructing with what words are given to you to go off of.
Agreed. And books are free with a library card.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Like others said, it's a false dichotomy. Just don't be frivolous about either. In my opinion, a used car is a better deal, because of the rapid depreciation of new cars. The last time I owned a car, I had the experience of driving up the west coast and across the west and midwest with it. That was an amazing trip.

I lean more toward experiences. But, for instance, I bought a cast iron skillet for $24 and I grill steaks in it all the time. I've had some great experiences just preparing and eating steak. So you always have to consider the use you will get out of any given product you buy. Will it give you good experiences? (Or help you profit so that you can enjoy more experiences - e.g. if you need a computer for work.)

Btw, I'm currently selling almost all of my possessions so I can move abroad and enjoy some new experiences! But I'll need a few things when I get there.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. And books are free with a library card.
And food is free with a food stamp.

$30k-$60k free. Don't work, be a single parent.

Just register to be on welfare.

Don't take risk.

Everything losses value lmao

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Advice from the old lady:

Never pay a premium for depreciating assets. I do not buy new cars, I buy houses that are in need of something (so I can repair or upgrade and add value) in order to profit from owning them.

I buy high end designer shoes and clothing, but primarily from Ebay or from high end resale shops. I have bought many high end furnishings on close out or from Craigslist for cents on the dollar. I do have some nice baubles and some nice things on the wall, but I can afford those things - and I also have quality items (dresses/shoes/accessories) that are 20+ years old, still look stylish & new and still fit perfectly. I've given away lots of good clothing that I think is too "young" for me now to the daughters of my friends. Honestly I do not need or want for anything in a material sense. I don't want people buying me "stuff". If I need something or run out of something I purchase it, otherwise I'm good. If anything I have too much accumulated stuff - good stuff - and I am looking at paring down. I made a habit long ago of buying very good things and taking care of those things. As a result those things last and do not need to be replaced.

But the further along I get in life the more I think experiences are really where its at.

Last week I was in the ocean in a $2000.00 Herve Leger dress. In Hawaii. I paid $300 for that dress and it survived the ordeal without wear or tear and just came back from the cleaners. But my BF stripping down naked and carrying me into the ocean from the beach? Priceless.

He's had more fun telling that story this past week (about me in the ocean in a 2K dress with him) to his friends and so forth...and it was a fun evening. And once we got out of the water we went to the next bar and got a drink as though nothing in the world was up. It was funny. Fortunately the same designer makes swimwear out of the heavy material the dresses are made of, so the dress looked basically the same wet or dry. The only giveaway was my hair being wet from about the shoulders down. lol. And I have very long hair.

When you have enough things then experiences become more important. Experiences and relationships with ourselves and others make life rich, create memories and give us stories to tell in our old age. I'll be that granny who has the gleam in her eye and can tell the story about running off to Europe for the Y2K or riding around San Francisco with a limo driver while he was working one Halloween. Or telling about the nightlife or the ocean in the 2K dress or seeing the baby dolphins leaping in the surf just off shore. Of course there are myriad fun family stories... but I've still got a wanderlust spirit and want my children to have memories from their youth that make them smile when reduced to photos on their walls or in their phones years from now.

Whether you have money or not, "stuff" is overrated. My residence of last resort is a vintage Airstream trailer with a truck to pull it (both of which I already own). And that might be where I live after I get rid of lots of my things and put my kids through college. And I joke to my friends that I may just become that nomadic friend who shows up to visit them for a while and then trucks to the next friend's house to catch up with them and their family. I don't think I'm going to be a "normal" granny at all. And I think I'll have good company along for the journey too.

U

user43770

And food is free with a food stamp.

$30k-$60k free. Don't work, be a single parent.

Just register to be on welfare.

Don't take risk.

Everything losses value lmao
You have a problem with the library?