Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are those terrified of roller coasters not exposed to these rides as a child?

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an interesting thought....

I like roller coasters and have been on the biggest and baddest (I live near a Six Flags).

However, we went to amusement parks as a child and my father would go on with us.

I have a few friends who don't seem to be into amusement park rides (thrill rides) but I don't recall them being exposed to them as a child.

I guess the same thing can be said for adults who can't swim or are afraid of the water/ocean. They weren't exposed to it....

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollercoasters are death traps and we have no business being on a vehicle like that simply for the thrill of it.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollercoasters are death traps and we have no business being on a vehicle like that simply for the thrill of it.
The same could be said for a lot of things. Motorcycles, bungee jumping, etc. People enjoy the rush that comes with things that have some inherent risk. And predominantly rollercoasters are pretty safe.

OP - to answer your original question: some people don't enjoy them because the constant jerking makes them physically ill through motion sickness. For those who have an actual phobia associated with them, I imagine it is because they flat out refuse to ride them. Once you have been on them for some time you get over that phobia fairly quickly.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The same could be said for a lot of things. Motorcycles, bungee jumping, etc. People enjoy the rush that comes with things that have some inherent risk. And predominantly rollercoasters are pretty safe.
I was expecting this argument. Motorcycles serve a purpose. Bungee jumping is another thing I add next to rollercoasters: stupid. Enjoying the rush of things can still be considered stupid.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was expecting this argument. Motorcycles serve a purpose. Bungee jumping is another thing I add next to rollercoasters: stupid. Enjoying the rush of things can still be considered stupid.
Motorcycles serve a purpose; but cars offer a much safer experience and serve the same purpose. So where do you draw the line on when something becomes "stupid"? And not completely related, but I am guessing your actual chances of getting badly hurt on a motorcycle are higher than getting hurt on a rollercoaster despite one having an everyday purpose and one not.

Bottom line is some people are risk-adverse and some enjoy risk-taking.

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw Alien in the move theater as a kid and I'm still scared of them.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the main appeal of the modern rollercoaster is the weightless feeling when it goes over the drop and your stomach comes up into your head. And I have no idea how anyone can think that they're any way comparable to the danger of motorcycles. They're designed to be safe. Yes a handful of people get hurt on them, but a lot more people die by tripping, falling and hitting their head on a curb than do on rollercoasters.

If you really want the ultimate "rollercoaster" rush, go skydiving.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Motorcycles serve a purpose; but cars offer a much safer experience and serve the same purpose. So where do you draw the line on when something becomes "stupid"? And not completely related, but I am guessing your actual chances of getting badly hurt on a motorcycle are higher than getting hurt on a rollercoaster despite one having an everyday purpose and one not.

Stupid risk taking is nowhere equivalent to measured risk taking.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Motorcycles allow you to avoid the traffic and find parking place easily.

Some extra risk you can mitigate is more than worth to me.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the main appeal of the modern rollercoaster is the weightless feeling when it goes over the drop and your stomach comes up into your head. And I have no idea how anyone can think that they're any way comparable to the danger of motorcycles. They're designed to be safe. Yes a handful of people get hurt on them, but a lot more people die by tripping, falling and hitting their head on a curb than do on rollercoasters.

If you really want the ultimate "rollercoaster" rush, go skydiving.
Have you done it? I've pondered the idea, but would want to go with people I know.

I bet the worst part is the plane ride up.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollercoasters are very safe. Once in a blue moon you will hear about somebody getting seriously injured or killed. Usually, it's the own person's fault.

In the 80's a young woman was killed at Six Flags Great Adventure on Lighting Loops. Lightning loops was roller coaster that had a steep drop and then did a loop. She died because she jumped in the last few seconds and wasn't properly restrained.

HaleyBaron

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollercoasters are very safe. Once in a blue moon you will hear about somebody getting seriously injured or killed. Usually, it's the own person's fault.

In the 80's a young woman was killed at Six Flags Great Adventure on Lighting Loops. Lightning loops was roller coaster that had a steep drop and then did a loop. She died because she jumped in the last few seconds and wasn't properly restrained.
I was not saying that rollercoasters are unsafe. Moreso that they are generally worthless in my eyes.

oc16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was not saying that rollercoasters are unsafe. Moreso that they are generally worthless in my eyes.
They provide a great adrenaline rush in a very safe environment, and you get bragging rights (at least in your mind) if you faced the fear and rode a scary one.