Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any martial artists out there? What martial art is good for protection?

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A person who is trained in upright and on the ground defense is the best option. It's why I recommend Jujitsu and Muay Thai. No disrespect to Krav Magogo, but it doesn't hold a candle to a person who's trained in both Jujitsu and Muay Thai. When I was in the Air Force, we had sparing sessions with the Israeli's. Great people, tough as nails, but their hand to hand training cannot touch Jujitsu and Muay Thai.
interesting observation. I would think krav maga was elite but I guess not. Muay Thai though is gaining popularity as the kicks are more effective.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
interesting observation. I would think krav maga was elite but I guess not. Muay Thai though is gaining popularity as the kicks are more effective.
I saw the low leg muay thai kicks in a street fight. Someone just natural or untrained won't be able to get close and he'll take punishment.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I thought thats what it was designed for?
Perhaps, but if a dude (or female) knows how to fight with either mentioned, they do not stand a chance against a seasoned MMA student.

Krav Maga is fine as an overlay or extension of existing skills, but not as a substitute or standalone. Introducing new tactics to an existing skill set is great, after the basics have already been drilled in, but there really is no way to drill Krav Maga...so, if you want to throw it in, after already becoming proficient in striking and grappling sports, I say go for it. But, you'll probably have a difficult time delivering a throat strike or eye gouge, if you can't yet land a punch...or take one.
Not sure. I just remember when we were sparing years back, the Israeli's, trying to look big and tough weren't doing too well against the dudes who were trained in various MMA techniques. One dude, maybe 5'8'' or so had a Krav Magoogoo dude, maybe 6'3'' or so tapping out in seconds. He then was so embarrassed, he charged him when his back was turned, sweeped him and put him in an arm-bar hold until he tapped and was crying like a b itch. One thing, even with extreme MMA discipline, once you get into the zone, you can be too focused on neutralizing a threat. Once that adrenaline kicks in, forget about it.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
That's the problem. The Marine corp currently has MCMAP, which is superior to IDF's KM, but suffers from similar flaws, in that it lacks full contact competition. It's basically just traditional martial arts training adapted for the Marines.

When I was in the Army, we had traditional combatives training, which was basically the WW2 era hand-to-hand stuff developed by Fairbairn(if I recall correctly), which was better than nothing, but not adequate training for those without any actual fight experience. Thankfully, at the time, the Army had an active Boxing program, with regular competition. I'm aware that now the Army trains MMA based on BJJ and MT, and encourages soldiers to participate in competition, which I believe is a major improvement over its old unarmed combat training...not that those techniques didn't work, but they were never going to work as well for those without experience in striking and grappling sports, lacking the motor skills and muscle memory to make those techniques work.

That sums up my opinion of the IDF's KM; it's not that the techniques are useless, but that teaching those techniques to soldiers who lack a foundation of striking/grappling sports experience is useless. You'll end up with soldiers like the one's you describe, who are overconfident and underskilled.

The reason MT and BJJ have become so popular, on the other hand, is that they are arguably the best combination of grappling and striking skills to have in clinch fighting and ground fighting, which efficiently covers probably 80% of one-on-one encounters. It's a good foundation.

Having said that, there are many instances in which a fighter should avoid going to the ground as if his life depended on it, and should similarly avoid the clinch, but those apply less to one-on-one sport competition, in which the opponents are somewhat equally matched.
Yes, I believe special ops does both, not sure about the rest. SWAT with local PD, US Marshals, FBI and CIA are also trained in both BJJ and MT. I am not saying one is better than the other, but what I am saying is a person, male or female, who has some skill with both will most likely overtake most KM trained individuals. Am I saying that myself or many trained BJJ/MT dudes can take on a veteran Mossad agent? Probably not (the Mossad are as dangerous as the Russian FCS; if not more).

I, actually prefer ground as once I get the belligerent immobilized, I can either make them submit, sleep w/o much risk of killing them or put them in a position so uncomfortable that they will yield. Or, at worst case scenario do additional harm to neutralize the threat. Hand to hand and grappling is engaging, but you can actually hurt the person more on their feet than when they are on their back. They have no where to go once you immobilized them. They will sleep, submit or well, 187.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When it comes to fighting, I like to follow the Warrior's code: "A warrior does not look for conflict, but he does not run away from it either." A part of your masculinity dies when you run away from conflict. Not just physical conflict, but any kind. You might not always win the fight, but you will gain a little bit of experience that will chisel your masculinity. In fact, life often presents you with conflict to reveal what you are lacking. If you are lacking physical prowess, you will constantly be presented with situations that will expose your lack. Until you finally decide to toughen up and become more of a complete man by training in martial arts.

Knowing how to fight is a rights of passage. A man must be able to defend himself, his loved ones, his honor, and his family's honor.

Eventually you will just reach a point where nobody will mess with you. People can just tell by your presence that you're the type they would have to kill if they tried you.

When it comes to bullying and messing with innocent people, perpetrators look for the weak and meek/timid. They purposely avoid people who look like they would require a high amount of energy to suppress. For example, last year I was waiting for some friends outside one of those bar/restaurants downtown with outside seating that extends towards the sidewalk. At the time I was working out a lot but I had a jacket on. Some kids who looked like they were in high school walked by and saw my head phones. For whatever reason they decided to post up near my table. Looked like they were trying to plot something. So I got up and took off my jacket revealing how buff I was and all those military tattoos I got during my time in Cuba, and suddenly the group of kids looked shook. It wasn't even intimidation. It was more like "This guy looks like he will kill all of us." I gave off a genuine threat level. And they all scattered like a bunch of scared hyenas running from a lion. I've had a life time of life and death situations. And those kids were able to pick up on my vibe right away.

When you are an actual killer, people know it. Your vibe;/presence will telegraph that you're the type somebody has to shoot in order to suppress. And having a killer's mentality ends 99% of fights before they even start. Just like with women. If you are a alpha man, women know it. 99% of attraction will happen because of your vibe/presence alone.

It's not the violence that separates men. It's the distance he's willing to go.

When people assess you, the first thing they notice is size. But just like how "looks" isn't everything when it comes to attraction, people also notice your presence. Do you have a presence of a momma's boy who looks like he's never been in a fight, or do you have the presence of a hardened man who's been through war and willing to go the distance? I've seen big timid people get picked up on by little people, and little people intimidate grown men because the little people looked like they were willing to go the distance. And your presence is the totality of you. Every fight you've ever been in, and every training you have ever done shows up in your presence. You carry yourself with more physical confidence when you learn how to fight.

So I am glad this thread exists. Conflict is unavoidable. The level of conflict that shows up in your life tells you what you need to work on in order to become complete. If you constantly run into people picking on you or singling you out of a crowd in an attempt to victimize you, then that's a sign.
so very true. Its a flight or fight response people get.

forcerecon01

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That depends almost entirely on where you land your punches. Hard weapons against soft targets, and soft weapons against hard targets, and you'll be okay. Go punching or head-butting the other guy in the skull, and that's a different story. Also, depends on the condition of your hands, though. If you have hands like a pianist, you should probably avoid throwing a punch.
palm strikes is a good strike in taekwondo and wont bust your knuckles

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Didnt read the whole thread so hope I wont repeat anything that has been already said.

I practice MMA and fight at amateur level (minor challenges nothing serious) so first of all I wanted to say that even before the technical skills, what a guy needs to improve his chances of walking away unharmed is to avoid the confrontation to begin with.

If thats not possible technical skills are gonna help as long as you are in great shape in terms of mental sharpness, stamina and strenght.

Forget about that kung fu stuff you see in jackie chan movies, big strong guys have an edge and no matter how good your tech is, you aint gonna knock a guy down if you are 50kg skinny girly boy...same thing if you thrown a couple of punches and run out of breath.

Now regarding the techniques, clearly as someone said early striking is the best option since it allows you keep your distance and be effective while any non trained opponent wont be as good in terms of hitting and dodging hits, many will even throw themselves at you rugby style.

Few well inflicted punches are enough to disable your opponent or simply push him to stop the confrontation, in that case allow the guy to save his ego and make it seems like its a shared decision.

If you happen to get chest to chest then you need to wrestle and control the way you will fall, needless to say you want to stay up and want him to be down...that way you can strike, grapple or simply stand up and run away.

If you are unlucky enough to have a fist fight with someone who knows some boxing or worse yet he does better that you do then great wrestling skills can save you, again once on the ground he will panic and possibly will be willing to cease fighting.

I had fights with guys coming from many years of boxing that were clearly faster then me and whos fists and space control were impressive compared to mine...the reason why I didnt get knocked down was simply that my wrestling and ground&pound skills are good enough while other times I saw great wrestlers being struck from distance only to have their opponent escape from any of their take down attempt.

In my experience techniques, mental sharpness and physical shape are 3 sides of a triangle where they should all present for your own safety.

Ps. no sport does nteach illegal moves yet expect them to happen in a street fight.

The best skills in the world wont help if you are too scared to move or have no gas to fight.

So learn and practice, better yet have minor fights to test your nerves and measure your limits.
Thanks, good post. You brought up breath once or twice.
I run out of breath fast and get gassed out (my instructor calls it)
I haven't always worn a respirator welding and I have extra pounds and ex-smoker. I wonder that I shouldn't be concentrating on increasing my lung strength first. Cardio I guess? This is a great thread.

Ohso-Phresh

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I haven't always worn a respirator welding and I have extra pounds and ex-smoker. I wonder that I shouldn't be concentrating on increasing my lung strength first. Cardio I guess? This is a great thread.
Look up Bas Rutten interview with Joe Rogan.

I haven’t ordered it yet myself due to current dental work but am looking forward to using it when I am able. The principles are sound and appears to be well-received even though it’s simplistic.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Look up Bas Rutten interview with Joe Rogan.

I haven’t ordered it yet myself due to current dental work but am looking forward to using it when I am able. The principles are sound and appears to be well-received even though it’s simplistic.
hmmm.

not bad idea, but it may be I have to reach a baseline before I start fooling around with restricting air intake. I'm going harder on my bikeride today with the goal of becoming drenched like Dwayne Johnson's cardio sessions.
I don't feel I'm even at a functioning baseline and I'm embarassed to admit it took a freakin respiratory related pandemic to get me off my lazy azz. Time to ramp up from leisurely 10, 000 steps per day commitment. Seriously, I'm such a procrastinator. I viewed parts of the ad and will watch the yt Rogan interview when I get back, thanks Ohso-phresh

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You gas depends from many things some of which change day by day, in my case I can tell the difference compared to when I sleep tight in a week rather than when Im stressed or eat crappy food for few days.

While there is a baseline that you can work on in the long term, there are fluctations even in the short one.

Terminus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just take a regular antipollution mask if you have one insead of buying an O2 trainer.
Also systema is a great martial art you learn to hit but also to take punches and stuff.
This is not very popular right now but it is really efficient in a real fight.

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, so you're a welder. That's why you asked that question about how to downplay it, to avoid intimidating men? Fortunately for you, the girl in 'Flashdance' was a welder, too, so you're probably okay there....especially if you're also an artist, as many welders are. If you're rebuilding a Dodge DeSoto in your garage, though, you might wanna save that disclosure for a couple months in.....unless he's a big car but, too...in which case, feign helplessness, and ask for his help. He'll probably be thrilled to have met such a cool chick...as long as you don't make him feel inadequate. ;)
off topic: how the heck are you editing/adding to comments hours later? how do I do that?

I've seriously been thinking about never telling I have mechanical skills. It could potentially be more advantageous to feign a feminine lifestyle. I'd have to change my appearance but I wonder if I could pull it off. Fake it til I make it.
I could just wait until retirement age to try dating again, too, so I don't have to be dishonest.
Or.... step up my grind, start a business, have multiple passive income flows and stop working a lot sooner than 'retirement age'

You get trapped in a class mentality and hopeless there's no potential for radical change.