Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A question for student debtors - do you think your debt makes you very cheap when wining & dining poontang?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was reading this, and it got me interested:
Beyond that, my debt sometimes even discourages me from dating, which can easily become very expensive. In New York, dating often means going out to dinner, or going to the movies. Sometimes, the thought of making romantic gestures by buying someone a nice meal—or even paying $50 or more for two movie tickets and two drinks—can feel unrealistic when I remember that I have this debt that is not only waiting to be paid off, but also constantly accruing interest.

There have been several times where I have wanted to ask someone out, but then have thought about how much not only the first date would cost, but going on follow up dates, as well, and then decided against it.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could have something to do with it. Debt ain't fun.

Here's the most important takeaway from the article:

"There are certainly different decisions that I could have made nearly a decade ago to have less student loans today. In hindsight, I now realize I could have gone to public universities, worked more jobs during school, and waited to get my master’s degree until after I’d paid off my undergraduate loans.

"But, I would also argue, that when you are 18 years old and have never taken out loans before, you are far from being an economic expert. We grow up essentially being told that the more educated we are, and the higher ranked the universities we attend, the more access we’ll have to better jobs, and the more we’ll be paid. When you are 18 and get into your dream school – or even when you are in your early 20s and get into a graduate program – it’s easy to convince yourself that it’s all a necessary investment."

There is no need to break the bank on education with so many options in America. In-state public schools are much cheaper. Heck you can even do two years at a tech school and transfer in. I do not understand the fetishization of higher ed in America. I took out loans totaling about $20k and paid them off but they didn't break my back. More recently I worked at a top tier college where students shell out $250k for degrees, including the humanities. And of course they're the biggest pro-Bernie agitators for debt forgiveness. I do think there should be some taxpayer funded options, but for Christ's sake, school should not cost that much relative to your earning power.

devilkingx2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd rather die in debt than live a life where I pay bills instead of having fun.

Personally, my debt doesn't influence my decisions, my lack of money does. If I had the cash in hand (or on card) and a girl to go out with hell yeah I'm going out. However I'm not the kind of guy who insists on going to expensive dates like that. If we're not going somewhere I personally want to go or on a date that's very likely to get me laid (drinks) then I'm not gonna spend $50 lol.

I'd prefer it if the girl paid for herself too.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never made a single payment on any of my student debt. It's been 25 years. The debt is so old at this point that it has been resold many times, and is now owned by some sleaze bags in Chicago. I could settle it for 5-10%, but my goal is to die first, so those fvckers never get a penny out of me.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never made a single payment on any of my student debt. It's been 25 years. The debt is so old at this point that it has been resold many times, and is now owned by some sleaze bags in Chicago. I could settle it for 5-10%, but my goal is to die first, so those fvckers never get a penny out of me.
I take it then that you support Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders with their student debt jubilee advocation?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess it doesn't affect your credit rating? (Is that how federal loans work?)

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd rather die in debt than live a life where I pay bills instead of having fun.
You can pay your bills and still have fun...but to each his own and I do see what you're saying. I racked up some debt traveling while younger. Don't regret seeing the world.

devilkingx2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can pay your bills and still have fun...but to each his own and I do see what you're saying. I racked up some debt traveling while younger. Don't regret seeing the world.
Ideally of course you have fun in moderation and pay your bills in moderation

But realistically it will be a long time before you can make regular payments on a multi-thousand dollar debt AND also live an active social life and go on vacations and stuff. So most people would have to choose one or the other.

You can put off paying your loans for a really really long time especially if they're federal by simply asking. I'm getting mine delayed for a year because I don't have a job and apparently as long as I don't have a job I can keep doing that.

It'll catch up to you eventually though I assume. Like if you win the lottery or a court settlement or something.

It only affects your credit if you're defaulting iirc.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I read 1920s books sometimes. They'd jail people for unpaid debt back then. Whooh, all those students going to jail would be a bonanza for the current inmates.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Debt that is older than 7 years will drop off the report, usually. It doesnt go away, but is considered irrelevant to credit scoring. Making one payment makes old debt show up for another 7 years on the report, at least as of about 15 years ago when I sold mortgages.

I see the credit industry as mostly a big scam to mire poor people in life crushing debt, all to make billionaires richer. And that is our student loan system as well. Those loans are collateralized and sold off as investments for rich people. All of it is insured and backed by the taxpayers, mostly poor people. Would anyone here make a $100k personal loan to an 18 yo so he can go get a liberal arts ba? That's what your tax dollars are doing, which is why the system is fvcked. But it makes the rich get richer, which is the point of everything.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score