Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Lower back pain from leg day

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been lifting for a while so have obviously done leg day before but I must have done something wrong last time because my lower back ****ing hurts. It was getting a little better but I did a full upper body day then ran 5k yesterday and now it’s back with a vengeance. Should I just do upper body workouts and just avoid exercise with my legs/back, just do light exercises like walking, or power through and go as hard as before?

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What leg exercises are you doing? Maybe your form is off? Don’t mess around with lower back pain, in other words if your back is hurting don’t try to push through it. You’ll regret it later on in life. I’m 38 and I played football at the college level, I’ve always done squats and deadlifts and I don’t have knee or back pain because I listened to my body. I’ve tweaked my lower back with bad form doing squats before, it’s no fun at all. I took two whole weeks off to let my entire body heal up not just my back.

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What leg exercises are you doing? Maybe your form is off? Don’t mess around with lower back pain, in other words if your back is hurting don’t try to push through it. You’ll regret it later on in life. I’m 38 and I played football at the college level, I’ve always done squats and deadlifts and I don’t have knee or back pain because I listened to my body. I’ve tweaked my lower back with bad form doing squats before, it’s no fun at all. I took two whole weeks off to let my entire body heal up not just my back.
Damn. Two weeks? Not even cardio or anything light?

Robert28

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nope. Nothing. You’d be surprised how much of your lower back you use in upper body workouts. Just putting weights and taking them off on bench uses your lower back muscles. Standing curls? Yep, lower back muscles being used too. Bent over rows? You betcha. You’ll find running very uncomfortable if your lower back is bothering you too. I’m telling you, let your back heal and when you start back, start back at half of what you were doing and work on form form form. I can’t deadlift the world but I also don’t have back problems. I’m not saying not to go hard, but just listen to your body. Soreness is one thing, an injury is another. You have an injury.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I occasionally get back pain from squatting also... It's because you're ego lifting or weak that particular day, and just can't squat what you normally squat. I do back day 3 days after leg day, so if my back gets sore from squats, then it will be good to go for deadlifts 3 days later.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For leg day I just hop in the pool, flip on my back and kick my legs doing laps, do this for maybe an hour and a half, just shreds your legs with virtually no risk of injury... My hamstrings are V's down down to my knees, looks like every day is leg day for me yet I don't do leg machines in the gym at all.

Also hindu squats used to be a part of my routine, cut those mid 2019 though.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve been lifting for a while so have obviously done leg day before but I must have done something wrong last time because my lower back ****ing hurts. It was getting a little better but I did a full upper body day then ran 5k yesterday and now it’s back with a vengeance. Should I just do upper body workouts and just avoid exercise with my legs/back, just do light exercises like walking, or power through and go as hard as before?
Stop squatting (for now), and also don't try to substitute something like leg presses for squats as they will jam your lower lumbar spine up against an immoveable seatback and make it worse. Also, the 5k likely made it worse. Having trained over thirty years and trained athletes over 20 years, I've got a laundry list of injuries to myself and seen other athletes endure the same. These are battle scars. Each one was your fault and not the lifts performed and they are all meant to teach you something.

I'll say this with some reservation. See a doctor and if you can, one with a sports performance emphasis. If you see a doctor, still do so with some skepticism, and if surgery is suggested after MRI etc., seek a second opinion. I prefer a chiropractor instead and see one on a regular basis. As your spine gets out of alignment, you don't always realize because you are asymptomatic at till you're not. Often an acute injury was not really an "all of a sudden" injury. It was a progression from asymptomatic to symptomatic brought on by a activity such as a bad rep during squat.

If you opt to not take the above advice do the following. No excessive sitting or sitting period if able. Stand, walk, or lie down. When lying down on your back put a pillow or 2 under your knees. Walk 10 minutes twice a day. This will help realign spine and help circulation in the spine. *Don't stretch. Ice (Ice pack, frozen peas, etc.) for 10 minutes, then heat for 10 minutes at least twice a day. The spine gets very little blood circulation. The ice will reduce swelling and remove waste through blood by pulling it away and the heat will draw fresh blood back into spinal area. Be careful ingesting anti inflammatory OTC drugs. Use them sparingly for pain management only. You need some inflammation to heal.

While resting your back watch videos from Squat University or Starting Strength and start researching for the deficiencies in your squat. The reason I tell you not to stretch is because I'm assuming you don't know the mechanism of the injury. Back injuries from squat are caused by either flexion, extension, rotation with extension, or load (compression). So if your injury occurred because of excessive flexion (butt wink), then doing stretches like lying on back and pulling knees to chest, will make matters worse even though they kind of feel good. The reason it feels good is because the muscles tightened up around the spinal injury (disc) in order to protect the spine and do it's best to keep it from going into excessive flexion again. By stretching the muscles it has a more difficult time doing this.

Lastly, as you begin to feel better and study squat technique, start implementing the McGill Big 3 into your everyday routine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMX

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For leg day I just hop in the pool, flip on my back and kick my legs doing laps, do this for maybe an hour and a half, just shreds your legs with virtually no risk of injury... My hamstrings are V's down down to my knees, looks like every day is leg day for me yet I don't do leg machines in the gym at all.

Also hindu squats used to be a part of my routine, cut those mid 2019 though.
You don't do squats at all?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
You need this...it will eliminate lower back pain when done regularly. I had terrible low back pain from deadlifts and squats and this resolved it within 2 months of doing it probably 3 days a week or so...

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You need this...it will eliminate lower back pain when done regularly. I had terrible low back pain from deadlifts and squats and this resolved it within 2 months of doing it probably 3 days a week or so...

Damn dude. 2 months? I was hoping this would be gone in a couple weeks.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Damn dude. 2 months? I was hoping this would be gone in a couple weeks.
It might be...depends on what you are dealing with and how bad it is...I dealt with mine for about 2 years before doing this so that timeframe was pretty short in comparison.

Either way it was designed by a chiro and fixes the root cause of lower back issues...

When he says "Do this everyday and no back pain ever" at the end of the video, he isn't lying. It's never come back since I haven't done it in a while

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't do squats at all?
Not anymore, I did before but since I have found that I am able to take my muscles far past the exhaustion I could while safely squatting, decent calorie burner but not great for cardio unless your really kicking hard, I just make sure to keep my feet underwater at all times for max resistance

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
If you are suffering from lower back pain then you can try out Stiff Mother Trucker pain relief cream. This pain relief cream is made from 100% natural ingredients and is so much effective in all types of pains.
That doesn't fix the problem, it simply masks the issues.

BigFoot04

Don Juan
Reaction score
what's the deal with deadlifts ? everyone I talk to says don't do them , "if your not training for competition then don't do them" apparently.

Are they as bad as people say they are , both my jobs require lifting and I think they'd help a bunch but I'm new to it all.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what's the deal with deadlifts ? everyone I talk to says don't do them , "if your not training for competition then don't do them" apparently.

Are they as bad as people say they are , both my jobs require lifting and I think they'd help a bunch but I'm new to it all.
Basically Deadlifts cause your entire body to get bigger, so if your not already teeming with muscle then it isn't necessary, it's almost strictly for expanding your frame, the thing is many people get hurt between squats and deadlifts, I wouldn't deadlifts without a trainer myself

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically Deadlifts cause your entire body to get bigger, so if your not already teeming with muscle then it isn't necessary, it's almost strictly for expanding your frame, the thing is many people get hurt between squats and deadlifts, I wouldn't deadlifts without a trainer myself
I actually hurt myself some time ago doing dl. It wasn’t as bad, but when I get back to doing leg day (my back still hurts) I want to do them again. In fact I want to do all leg day stuff again because I know it helps all lifts. I don’t want a strong upper body but skinny legs. Also I find my squat and dl progress quicker and more remarkable than any upper body gainz.