Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Honey

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on this. You know how some women call everybody "honey", "hon", "sweetheart", "sweetie", "darling", "dear", or whatever? Most of them specifically only call men by these names. Many of them are waitresses or clerks. I'm often a little surprised that they are allowed to do this.

I'm wondering, do you know of any men who practice this sort of habit? Do you think they could get away with it? Do you think there is any benefit for a guy doing this sort of thing? Any drawbacks? I've seen obviously gay waiters do this kind of thing, but I think it's definitely more common among women. Not sure what a male version of this would be, maybe a guy who called all women "Babe" or "Toots" lol.

Just to be clear, I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm looking to implement this as some sort of strategy for myself. As a phenomenon, it's always fascinated me. What do you think it says about women who do this? I think it gives off a kind of a low class, low value impression, but YMMV.

bat soup

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on this. You know how some women call everybody "honey", "hon", "sweetheart", "sweetie", "darling", "dear", or whatever? Most of them specifically only call men by these names. Many of them are waitresses or clerks. I'm often a little surprised that they are allowed to do this.

I'm wondering, do you know of any men who practice this sort of habit? Do you think they could get away with it? Do you think there is any benefit for a guy doing this sort of thing? Any drawbacks? I've seen obviously gay waiters do this kind of thing, but I think it's definitely more common among women. Not sure what a male version of this would be, maybe a guy who called all women "Babe" or "Toots" lol.

Just to be clear, I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm looking to implement this as some sort of strategy for myself. As a phenomenon, it's always fascinated me. What do you think it says about women who do this? I think it gives off a kind of a low class, low value impression, but YMMV.
I'm going to do an experiment. Tomorrow I'll call every woman I meet "pumpkin puss". I'll let you know how I get on.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am called "darling" by a couple of older female attorneys I work with. They are approximately 20 years older than me and we share a very friendly, flirtatious, but platonic relationship. I would say you may call it somewhat unprofessional, although I have zero sexual interest in them. But it's fun.

If the roles were reversed I could see it being a problem. There is a clear double standard where women can use these little pet names under the right circumstances and if a man does it society will label it "creepy" or "inappropriate." I have gotten the "hun" or "honey" from waitresses too. I guess based off my experience I don't think it necessarily denotes anything about class but more just highlights how differently society looks at the sexes.

Guy69JackBlue

Banned
Reaction score

I find it extremely offensive and an obvious attempt to extract resources from you.

I have tipped bartenders and waitresses ZERO many times for calling me pet names.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in New Orleans... doing stuff like this is normal and actually expected. I've had women I just met kiss me on the lips... it's really nothing here. I guess it all depends on location and context. People here are always hugging and kissing each other.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I find it extremely offensive and an obvious attempt to extract resources from you.
It's not all about tipping though. I've noticed this a lot from female gas station attendants.

Guy69JackBlue

Banned
Reaction score
It's not all about tipping though. I've noticed this a lot from female gas station attendants.
Me too. I find it condescending every time.

I don't know them well enough for them to call me sweetie. And the people they actually know and respect... They don't call sweetie.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I hear any word of endearment like that, to me, it's a crossing of a boundary which means I need to explore that by making physical contact with her and gauging a response and let's just say, hearing this is typically blood in the water.

To me, it's her communicating that "I'm into you but you need to be more masculine"

Guy69JackBlue

Banned
Reaction score
If I hear any word of endearment like that, to me, it's a crossing of a boundary which means I need to explore that by making physical contact with her and gauging a response and let's just say, hearing this is typically blood in the water.

To me, it's her communicating that "I'm into you but you need to be more masculine"
A complete stranger cannot be into you like that. And that's usually who calls you these things.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A complete stranger cannot be into you like that. And that's usually who calls you these things.
Doesn't matter, it's become instinct for me, I might be headed into a shut down, rejection, that's fine, it's the attempt

Guy69JackBlue

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, it's become instinct for me, I might be headed into a shut down, rejection, that's fine, it's the attempt
When a stranger calls me sweetie.... I'M the one who shuts down. I refuse to acknowledge their presence after that point.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Me too. I find it condescending every time.

I don't know them well enough for them to call me sweetie. And the people they actually know and respect... They don't call sweetie.
I also find it condescending, I'm not sure why. As for the people they actually know and respect, I have no idea how they treat them, because they are strangers, after all.

You can respond to it however you like, but I don't see it as being about me at all. As I've said, these women seem to call all the males they encounter "hon" or whatever.

metalwater

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
overthinking this one.

Before, older men used to do this all of the time with younger females, in the 60s, 70s, and before. It was common dialog. It is the mark of a self-confident person, man or woman, and then perhaps from habit.

Hi Sir...
Hi sweetie..

different vibe, but both are positive however sweetie is less formal. it is also a substitution for "what is your name, hi <name>.."

some still do it, but with the huge focus on keeping men contained it is one of the casualties and we are not better for losing it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
some still do it, but with the huge focus on keeping men contained it is one of the casualties and we are not better for losing it.
If I understand you correctly, that's an interesting point. A guy from the '50s calling a random girl sweetie has a feel of putting her in her place, or establishing dominance over her. Or not really establishing dominance, more like referencing a dominance that is already there. We've lost that, and the woke crowd would likely crack down a guy who goes around calling women sweetie now.

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the South, this practice is still everyday common. I recall some young waitress using these terms (can't remember which particular word) but it made me think.
I was thinking that it seemed out of place (due to her young age). I never cared for these terms because it seems 'too familiar' for my liking.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I don’t know the answer to your question but I find few things more annoying than women calling me “hon”. If a waitress does that, it will automatically affect her tip. It’s such a stupid word if you think about it.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

I know guys that call women "Dear". That's the closest thing I can think of.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Today at lunch, the bartender chick said “What’s up my dear?” She says that every time. Doesn’t phase me at all.

I don’t find it condescending. I’m VERY aware of when people talk down to me. But hon/sweetie/dear from female waitstaff/bartenders doesn’t mean anything at all. It’s intended to be neutral to slightly friendly. Also had a gay waiter call me hon. No harm there either.

Straight guy staff will call me man/bud/sir or sometimes “boss.” The last one is kinda weird and could possibly be condescending depending on the tone.

If a chick is rude to me, it’s usually in nonverbal ways. Sighs, eyerolls, lack of eye contact and other dismissive body language.

Being called hon/sweetie/dear is the least of my concerns with women.

Last edited: